What Game Makers Really Earn

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
What Game Makers Really Earn

How much can you make in the videogame industry? Here's a handy graphic that lets you know.

Plenty of people want to make videogames for a living, but how much you can make doing that is never really brought up. Until now that is, thanks to an infographic about average salaries for various positions in the industry, courtesy of Maxim [http://www.maxim.com/gaming/articles/90016/why-many-game-developers-drive-ferraris.html] of all places.

The figures quoted are apparently taken directly from the people themselves via Game Developer Research, and the descriptions also offer up a few tidbits of trivia, like of all the jobs in game development, women are most often producers.

The infographic itself is too big to post, but you can see it in all its splendor here [http://www.maxim.com/gaming/articles/90016/why-many-game-developers-drive-ferraris.html].

Source: via Game Culture [http://www.gameculture.com/2010/03/31/what-game-dev-really-earns]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I still have one question.

What is the equivalent of picking up a sledgehammer and beating Donkey Kong to death in the Gaming Market?

There's gotta be one if you want to compare it to Mario!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
Got a question though it might be a stupid one, where are the writers in this chart?
They do seem to be missing...

But, its a fair amount of cash if you can reach it

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Those are some pretty generous figures. Definitely in the higher tiers of the pay scales for those jobs, that is a fact. Entry level is significantly lower, and the actual averages are also a good deal lower, before you factor in bonuses and profit sharing. At least in the companies I've seen.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
Got a question though it might be a stupid one, where are the writers in this chart?
GAMES HAVE WRITERS!?

Ok, ok, bad joke, I get it. I just couldn't resist.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
Probably somewhere near the janitor and the cleaning staff (if some of the stories in recent games are anything to go by)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
Either it's included under Game Designers ("...with a creative background in writing...") or it's just not included.

Certainly is interesting information, anyway.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Yay for composers... $80,000/yr average is definitely okay for me. I'll take it! Heck... I'll work on the cheap... $79,000. :)

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Those are some pretty generous figures. Definitely in the higher tiers of the pay scales for those jobs, that is a fact. Entry level is significantly lower, and the actual averages are also a good deal lower, before you factor in bonuses and profit sharing. At least in the companies I've seen.
Hmm...intersting, I did think the numbers on chart were a bit too high.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
These figures seem completely inaccurate from others I've seen. Mainly because they taken as an average and therefore will be inflated through the high wages earned by a few at the biggest companies. Most games developers won't earn this kind of money...

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
What's the salary working for the Escapist?
Cookies, and the joy of being given cookies.

Not donuts, nor Waffles though. Unless you beg for a bonus.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
I imagine that people like voice actors and writers often work on contract rather than salary. Those people on salary actually have to put in the hours and work for a living. (j/k)

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Dang, thats a lot of money, I'm guessing its not an easy industry to get in to, and not to stable ether considering Heavenly Sword only broke even.

D_987 said:
These figures seem completely inaccurate from others I've seen. Mainly because they taken as an average and therefore will be inflated through the high wages earned by a few at the biggest companies. Most games developers won't earn this kind of money...
That's what I thought, they seem to be taking these statistics from Bioware and Square Enix and other such companies.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
so how much would I make if I was CEO/President of a game studio (maybe be a part time director of the game as well)
It would depend massively on the size of the company you're working for (or in this case running), as is the case in all businesses...

drisky said:
That's what I thought, they seem to be taking these statistics from Bioware and Square Enix and other such companies.
True, but at the same time there are a large number of jobs within these areas - for example, in the "game designers" section the role "Lead Designer" is mentioned, but that still leaves little mention of "Level designers", "Writers". All of which would have different wages.