What game series would be completely ruined with a gritty reboot?

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Imagine Borderlands without the charm, humour or style... Fallout Grinding Edition... Or Rage 1.5... No thank you.

Or Rayman, like, where Rayman is a drug addict and they took his calfs because he couldn't pay his whore debts... Although I would totally buy that.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Viva Pinata

can you imagine a gritty reboot of that franchise?
It's already pretty gritty when you think about it:

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Ratchet and Clank.

No more cutsie art design and quirky, funny humor. Clank will be a murderous robot and Ratchet will be a grizzled lab experiment gone horribly wrong, and then turned into a super soldier by the government that created it.
D:
Never ever say anything like that again Fiz. I love the Ratchet and Clank series to death and for them to do that would be absolutely terrible.

OT: Try to imagine a gritty reboot of Crash Bandicoot. My god the sheer thought of it must be purged from my mind. *grabs mind bleach*

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Rawne1980 said:
Not a series (yet, fingers crossed for a sequel) but Beyond Good and Evil.

It was a bit "cartoony" and that's one of the things I loved about it but if they remade it into a dark, gritty blood bath it would just ruin it completely.
Well, there's been stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnuV-9FKLk
And I might have seen a pre-order page, somewhere. Not certain.
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Ratchet and Clank.

No more cutsie art design and quirky, funny humor. Clank will be a murderous robot and Ratchet will be a grizzled lab experiment gone horribly wrong, and then turned into a super soldier by the government that created it.
Take that and apply it to Banjo-Kazooie or Battletoads.

And how about Timesplitters? Actually, pretty much anything that isn't ARMA, I guess.

riccyd

Sep 27, 2010
Catfood220 said:
riccyd said:
time crisis the main characters moody emo fringe would obscure your view
I actually like your idea, instead of ducking behind the shield when you pressed on the peddle, the fringe would swing forward to protect you.
I sit corrected this needs a gritty reboot! Time Crisis: on the Fringe of Time rated M for mopey.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Minecraft?
(grayscale+you start in the village that is overrun by zombies and skeletons killing everyone+main character cries in the background whenever you sleep)

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
I dunno. Probably the Zelda franchise, that'd be pretty shit.
I don't know, if they set it during Hyrule's "bloody history of greed and hatred", the demon war before SS or the seal war, it might be interesting.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Everything? Dark and gritty has its place, but keep it the hell away from my stuff. I play games to get away from the often shitty real world, I don't want it in my escapism.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Boggelz said:
Banjo Kazooie

Can anyone honestly see this as a gritty reboot? Banjo ripping people to shreds and kazooie pecking enemies eyes out.

inb4 still better than nuts and bolts

Darwins_Folly

Jan 16, 2010
Katamari Damacy. A giant katamari ball oozing blood, with the screams of crushed people and animals replacing the catchy tunes.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I think Animal Crossing would be weird.

You can't pay the rent. You die from pneumonia after living the bum life. You help cause the financial crisis of the century buying homes you can't afford.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Pokemon.
Perhaps it could play like Yahtzee's theory that all the Pokemon trainers are actually just throwing vermin at each other in dingy basements, and only think they're pokemon because of a chip in their brains...

Actually, this sounds much better than regular Pokemon...
Somebody make it!

hooglese

Feb 14, 2011
Luigi's Mansion. Imagine it. A 3rd person shooter on the unreal engine, two men who look like there are more muscles in their neck than most people have in their bodies. They have mustaches, and wear green and red space armor accordingly. The vacuums are essentially guns and ghosts have ectoplasm guns. Gears of War Mario & Luigi edition. If nintendo did make this, I would cry in a corner for a week.