What game stops just short of perfect for you and why?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
We've all see one, probably several games that just are awesome. You're absorbed into the mechanics, story and world if there is one. You go through the game from start to finish...

But there's this one thing, maybe more than one thing that just nags at you that keeps you from really enjoying it. Maybe they have this one mechanic that just doesn't work which you have to deal with frequently enough that it's just a hassle. Maybe there's this one character that's extremely annoying whenever they pop up that they could have probably easily avoided having in the story entirely (I'm looking at YOU Jar Jar Binks!) Whatever it is, if they were to fix these things the game would be your ideal. What's the game and what is the flaw? If you can, try to think of a way they could've removed that flaw to make that perfect game.

For me, Tales of Xillia has excellent characters, story, combat, I've played it multiple times... but only Jude's story. For those unaware, Xillia has 2 protagonists Jude and Millia that the player can choose at the beginning of the game as the main character of the story, and selecting one will allow you to see things during the game that the other doesn't. An interesting idea... if they had done it right. Sadly, the story is almost exactly the same with either main characters and the moments by which they are separated which allow for showing the story from different perspectives almost always last barely 5 minutes. Even those that are longer aren't significantly longer, an hour or so at most. This makes the feature rather pointless and clearly there simply for cheap replay value. From what I've seen on Youtube of Millia's story Jude's story has more substance to it to begin with. Worst of all, they could've easily fixed this simply by having one story mode and simply changed perspective between Jude and Millia as needed to experience all the content in a single playthrough.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
This seems suspiciously close to being a duplicate of this other topic:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Guessing OP didn’t notice that one.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Inspired by actually, but the OP on that one makes it pretty clear they're asking about what is one's perfect game. This is about what could've been your perfect game, if it weren't for some little things here and there and asking what those things were and what you'd do about it.