what game world you like to live in?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I'd agree with Pokemon. Peaceful, but enough opportunities for competition, research, labour etc.. I could become Prof. Leon Ske, a renowned capacity on Steel Pokemon's metal-cellular structure. Or something.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Honestly? Probably none of them. Being exciting places meant for escapism they don't seem like they would be a great place to live for real. In most cases the hero is pre-defined and it honestly isn't me, or anything like me at all, so it's not like I'm going to do especially well there.

Stop and think about it sometime, you live in this world as one of the general inhabitants, even if you think of something relatively normal like Oblivion, you likely get the dubious distinction of being killed by a random monster spawn, or murder-fodder for the actual protaganist.

I suppose if I absolutly had to pick, it would be The Forgotten Realms, as I've played in that world since I was a kid, either PnP or video games. There isn't one specific hero, and conceptually there are a few places where I'd probably be relatively safe. It's also fantasy based around a fairly modern morality structure, so unless I wind up in one of the evil kingdoms I'm not likely to get press ganged and forced to live out by days in a salt mine
for lulz.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Mr Binary said:
I hope no one looks at me funny when I say I'd want to live in the Silent Hill universe. It's just an interesting place... conspiracies and stuff. I don't really know, it just seems neat.
I'd say your into high octane Masochism, because Silent Hill itself is the mystery, but from your perspective it pretty much just becomes your personal hell. That would probably be one of the worst video game universes to live in, though I suppose it is the normal world except for the town, so if you never got manipulated into going there it would be just like living now. :)

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
Therumancer said:
Mr Binary said:
I hope no one looks at me funny when I say I'd want to live in the Silent Hill universe. It's just an interesting place... conspiracies and stuff. I don't really know, it just seems neat.
I'd say your into high octane Masochism, because Silent Hill itself is the mystery, but from your perspective it pretty much just becomes your personal hell. That would probably be one of the worst video game universes to live in, though I suppose it is the normal world except for the town, so if you never got manipulated into going there it would be just like living now. :)
Yeah but to be honest, I think it'd be fascinating to learn what my deepest, darkest fear is... Wow, I have issues I think. In all seriousness though, if others can adapt to it, I'm sure others would be able to as well.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Pandora, yeah, Borderlands Pandora, It's like the Wild West, but with better healthcare, and New U stations. I'll just pretend to forget about raks, bullymongs, skags, spiderants, varkids, crystalisks, all that stuff.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Most of the games I play have some kind of terrible conflict in them, so no.

Deep in the carribean in a magical age of sail (Monkey Island) might be tolerable. Nobody with more than a few seconds of screen time dies there and all injuries are superfical and disappear in seconds, but the islands while beautiful and warm, are also primitive and nobody gets anything done.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
I know, that no matter what universe I end up in, I'll be a guard. You know, one of those poor sods who does his job then is brutally murdered.

Then again, at least I get to wear a cool hat...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
I've thought about this question a lot, and I know for a fact that the Pokemon world is the one I'd be the happiest in.

That said, I can see a few drawbacks. Since I live in house with more than ten pets in it in real life, then I know something about the mess that animals can make. My house is not clean, and having a Growlithe leave fiery poops all over the carpet would cause even more problems, much less where I'm gonna keep the Lapras, I can't afford no swimming pool.

Then again, I wouldn't have to worry much about finances, but I doubt those battles are as green as they seem from this side of the screen. But training wouldn't be to hard, seeing as pokemon seem to have much larger brains than the average, well, any animal really.

All these thoughts aside, the world portrayed in the Pokemon games is a paradise, where people are friendly and it's filled with magical creatures to befriend, and as corny as that is, who wouldn't want to live there?
I'm not sure if you've thought this through. While everyone knows about Pokemon only a relatively few people are trainers. Your typical Pokemon protaganist lucks into getting his first Pokemon and gear, but most people don't have that stuff. Indeed in one of the only Pokemon games I've played (Platinum I believe) your warned by your mother not to go walking around out in the tall grass, doing so at the beginning of the game almost gets you murdered by Pokemon.

In short the lifestyle of your typical inhabitant of this universe is to be some borderline peasant who lives in a one or two room shack surrounded by grass, woods, and other things full of hostile creatures with terrifying supernatural powers, ready to rip you to shreds at a moment's notice. The world is run by an elite class of trainers that have the power to control these things, they also control all of the media, books, etc... which are all about how great they and these Pokemon are. For entertainment you get to watch reality TV about... Pokemon.

As I understand the thread that's the trick of it, your talking about living in the world, not being the hero of the game (so to speak). Pokemon being what it is doesn't really go into much detail about it's world since it's focused entirely on the monsters, but if you really think about it with everything pretty much built for, and revolving around trainers, just being one of the random backround schlubs (an average inhabitant) must be a combination of boredom, and absolute terror... and to be fair when Pokemon include things like killer robots with buzz saws for hands, I don't get much of an impression of benevolence, especially given the beginning of that game I mentioned where it was pretty much spelled out that they are dangerous.

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
Warhammer 40k

So much fun to be had.

You can get sacrificed to Chaos, eaten by space-locusts,whacked to pieces by green, semi-intelligent hogs, executed for heresy, captured by space elf pirates whose lifeblood is torture, or captured by undead space-pharaohs who will most likely use your soul to feed their invincible star gods.

Im sure i've forgotten a billion more fun things and that makes it all the more greater.

Now, to even try to decide which of those is the worst >_>

Monkey_Warfare

Sep 10, 2008
Either pokemon and get an eevee cause they are SO GODDAMN CUTE (can't find the picture blast it) and has a good quality of living and is clearly quite safe as 10 year olds get sent off alone and most parents show no worry.
The problem is that for everyone exept the protagonists in most games the universe looks like a kind of bad place to live with you able to suddenly get hit by catastrophe for no reason you can affect. Cause remember you aren't going to be the hero, you're going to be one of those peons or generic mooks you see. After all awesome though the universe sounds would you actually want to live in WH40k as an ordinary human or worse a psyker.
This of course applies to pokemon to a degree as every adult seems incompetant, the professors unable to even tell if you are a boy or a girl.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
I'm gonna say Dunwall from Dishonored, because evidently I hate myself. I'd have said Tamriel, but that world is going to hell too.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
MrPeanut said:
by green, semi-intelligent hogs
Please, they prefer to be called "green, semi-intelligent hog/fungi/plant-symbionts", except they don't know what symbiont means, anyway, so it's kind of moot.
Orks are green-skinned, a side effect of their blending on a genetic level with fungi and photosynthetic organisms (essentially being enormously complex lichens).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ork_%28Warhammer_40,000%29

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
>.> <.<
CoC ^.^

but as far as normal games go...
maybe the Myst universe
Or Poker Night at the Inventory, sit around playing cards

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Okami. Everything would be beautiful, plus you can learn the celestial brush techniques. Issun does it, at least.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I'd have the chance to live forever, but baring that, I'd still be able to get a good decade or two more out of my life than here.

And if all else fails I can always become a Mind Worm ;)

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I'd have to say Tamriel simply because I'm a college student and in that world college students can summon swords or wolves or demons provided they have enough training and experience.

So yeah, the education process would be much more intense.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Therumancer said:
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
I'm not sure if you've thought this through. While everyone knows about Pokemon only a relatively few people are trainers. Your typical Pokemon protaganist lucks into getting his first Pokemon and gear, but most people don't have that stuff. Indeed in one of the only Pokemon games I've played (Platinum I believe) your warned by your mother not to go walking around out in the tall grass, doing so at the beginning of the game almost gets you murdered by Pokemon.

In short the lifestyle of your typical inhabitant of this universe is to be some borderline peasant who lives in a one or two room shack surrounded by grass, woods, and other things full of hostile creatures with terrifying supernatural powers, ready to rip you to shreds at a moment's notice. The world is run by an elite class of trainers that have the power to control these things, they also control all of the media, books, etc... which are all about how great they and these Pokemon are. For entertainment you get to watch reality TV about... Pokemon.

As I understand the thread that's the trick of it, your talking about living in the world, not being the hero of the game (so to speak). Pokemon being what it is doesn't really go into much detail about it's world since it's focused entirely on the monsters, but if you really think about it with everything pretty much built for, and revolving around trainers, just being one of the random backround schlubs (an average inhabitant) must be a combination of boredom, and absolute terror... and to be fair when Pokemon include things like killer robots with buzz saws for hands, I don't get much of an impression of benevolence, especially given the beginning of that game I mentioned where it was pretty much spelled out that they are dangerous.
I feel that your mind is much darker, sadder place than mine.

Then again, my family has a history of mental instability. Give a little, take a little I suppose.