what game world you like to live in?

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Hmmm...
probably the world of The Witchblade (The game that we all know is coming out after the next Darkness game) I would so want to wield that witchblade.
Seriously.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
None, honestly.

Skyrim? I can't swing a sword, I can't tense a bow for shit, and I have no guarantee of being a decent shot with magic. Plus, dragons. I really can't see my dweeby self trying to hold his own against dragons.

Human Revolution? Anyone who answers that forgets two things. One, augs are expensive as shit. Two, Neuropozyne. Can't pay for your shots? You're shit out of luck. Plus, no matter if you were augmented up the bunghole with hidden blades and the Typhoon system and all, do you even have the training to use all these things adequately? Jensen's an ex-SWAT; I'm a Literature major.

Yeah, no.

XCOM? Yeah, sure, commanding troops from a distance seems cushy enough, no matter how Humanity apparently threw everything it has into the XCOM Project and is more than willing to keel over if you under-perform. Stress much? Again, I'm a Lit major - not Roland Emmerich's version of Leonidas.

Yeah, no.

Mass Effect? Assuming I can find a job where my Communication and Lit studies are worth something? Maybe. I'm the last person the Alliance wants to prop up to Spectre level and Saren/TIM/Harbinger would all scare the crap out of me.

I'd maybe want to walk a mile in Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines' Los Angeles, but by day. I'd make a terrible vamp, I'm sure. My area of expertise isn't high-brow enough for the Tremere, I don't have the Toreador good looks and I'm not exactly a bestselling author, I'd suck as a Ventrue and I'm not nosy or observant enough to be worth much as a Nosferatu. Scratch the Gangrel and the Sabbat clans, too.

So I'd probably be just of the several oblivious humans. If I'm lucky, maybe I'd end up some vampire's ghoul. I wouldn't mind that too much.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Zhukov said:
I'm trying to think of a game world with lots of fine food, a surplus of attractive and charming women with low standards, a good healthcare program and a distinct lack of violence but it's just not coming.
Cooking Mama?

I'm going with Final Fantasy IX, where everyone plays cards and has the potential to be a badass.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Hello Kitty Online Adventure, nice and peaceful and safe. Fuck living in a world with magic, wars, monsters or with mechs stomping on everything. The real worlds bad enough without living in most game worlds.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
NiPah said:
I'd like to live in a Japanese eroge, any would do really.
Yeah, this or Pokemon. Or Both ;)

Or maybe in berserk's world (they had a game or two, it counts!) Nothing bad ever happens there.

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
Therumancer said:
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
I've thought about this question a lot, and I know for a fact that the Pokemon world is the one I'd be the happiest in.

That said, I can see a few drawbacks. Since I live in house with more than ten pets in it in real life, then I know something about the mess that animals can make. My house is not clean, and having a Growlithe leave fiery poops all over the carpet would cause even more problems, much less where I'm gonna keep the Lapras, I can't afford no swimming pool.

Then again, I wouldn't have to worry much about finances, but I doubt those battles are as green as they seem from this side of the screen. But training wouldn't be to hard, seeing as pokemon seem to have much larger brains than the average, well, any animal really.

All these thoughts aside, the world portrayed in the Pokemon games is a paradise, where people are friendly and it's filled with magical creatures to befriend, and as corny as that is, who wouldn't want to live there?
I'm not sure if you've thought this through. While everyone knows about Pokemon only a relatively few people are trainers. Your typical Pokemon protaganist lucks into getting his first Pokemon and gear, but most people don't have that stuff. Indeed in one of the only Pokemon games I've played (Platinum I believe) your warned by your mother not to go walking around out in the tall grass, doing so at the beginning of the game almost gets you murdered by Pokemon.

In short the lifestyle of your typical inhabitant of this universe is to be some borderline peasant who lives in a one or two room shack surrounded by grass, woods, and other things full of hostile creatures with terrifying supernatural powers, ready to rip you to shreds at a moment's notice. The world is run by an elite class of trainers that have the power to control these things, they also control all of the media, books, etc... which are all about how great they and these Pokemon are. For entertainment you get to watch reality TV about... Pokemon.

As I understand the thread that's the trick of it, your talking about living in the world, not being the hero of the game (so to speak). Pokemon being what it is doesn't really go into much detail about it's world since it's focused entirely on the monsters, but if you really think about it with everything pretty much built for, and revolving around trainers, just being one of the random backround schlubs (an average inhabitant) must be a combination of boredom, and absolute terror... and to be fair when Pokemon include things like killer robots with buzz saws for hands, I don't get much of an impression of benevolence, especially given the beginning of that game I mentioned where it was pretty much spelled out that they are dangerous.
But you see... I want to be the very best! You know like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause! POKEMON!

I could understand this argument directed at the Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect, because what you face there is truly terrible, and to not be dragon born would be most unfortunate. On the other hand Pokemon is full of not particularly threatening characters and it would be more than plausible that I could acquire a single Pokemon with all the kinds of Pokeballs they sell at the Pokemart, and this maybe even life threatening course of action would probably be a better choice than living in a one room shack shitting my pants because there are dragons everywhere and I'm not going to do anything about it.

However, as I type this I wonder just how many people don't have Pokemon in this world. Truthfully I'm playing through Black 2 at the moment and about 99% of the homes you go into have Pokemon running around the people. Not only that but every person you meet outside wants to battle you, and if you can make the assumption that not every person has an uncontrollable urge to battle their Pokemon then I'm going to have to say roughly 90% of the population own Pokemon.

So my answer is of course the GTA universe, because I feel if I can get 4 blocks away from the cops then they should just let it all go, even if I was doing blow off a pile of dead hookers while firing my AK every which way!

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Fable tlc: Think about it, british accents,magic, greatswords and balverines, whats not to love?

Kingdom of Amalur: huge fantasy world, ability to bring self back to life

League of legends: The ability to go into battle countless times and come back to life indefinitely while at the same time procuring fame and glory. Yes please.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Pokemon, no question. Not only because of the super-powered pet angle you mentioned, but this is apparently a world so prosperous and devoid of conflict (or at least conflict that can't be resolved by one or two 10/11 year olds) that people are free to travel across the land and meet the aforementioned super-powered pets for fun.

SpadeJester

Apr 4, 2009
Fire Emblem Awakening, what with people being able to join the good guys so easily, being one of the common folk won't be a problem with that.
Oh, and there's "My Unit"...which will probably be me, so I am still a big player, yay.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Baldurs Gate(Forgotten realms) then I would become a necromancers apprentice and turn myself into a Lich :D

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
I just want to say .. you're awesome for having such a cute yet addicting avatar to gaze at. Well done good sir!
That and those cat badges, it all completes your style making you one cool cat here on The Escapist.
Thanks man, cats are the best animal after all. And my avatar was chosen because I get addicted to cute things. Just watching it go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.............

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
Zhukov said:
I'm trying to think of a game world with lots of fine food, a surplus of attractive and charming women with low standards, a good healthcare program and a distinct lack of violence but it's just not coming.
Cooking Mama?

I'm going with Final Fantasy IX, where everyone plays cards and has the potential to be a badass.
Pokemon has Misty, just saying

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
L.A. Noire

Granted, the sexism and racism isn't fantastic and one could only really be comfortable being white and male, which I (shamefully now that I think more about it) admit that I am - but the music is great and damn I want to wear a fedora without looking like a poser... I mean, without looking like a very handsome and normal British Australian.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Hmmm probably something from Atlus, they make the cutest steampunk games. Or Pokemon.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm tossing up between The Elder Scrolls Universe and Pokemon. On one hand, the first is distinctly awesome, and I'd love to go on adventures with a group of incredible warriors and practice learning magic, or the latter, in which there isn't such a high chance of imminent death, and I can have amazing pets and go on adventures. As long as there is discovery and adventures, then, it seems like I'll be happy.

I'll probably go with Skyrim. Not being stopped every single step you walk through some tall grass is something that I can easily live with.