What games are you "loud and proud" to be a fan of?

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
I can't be proud that I'm a fan of something, as liking a thing is not a credit to my person, but that's not what you meant. I'm just a stickler for literalism, as words mean things, even if the English language is by its very nature a mangled mess of misspeaking.

However, there's plenty of things that I'm not ashamed of being a fan of.

I did like the Desmond times in the Assassin's Creed series, it gave narrative context and it allowed us to explore not only the concept of exploring one's ancestors memories, but the effect that could have on the person doing that exploration.

I'm in my 30s and I like Minecraft. So what if 98% of the people that any of you know who play minecraft are 12 and on the Xbox 360 version. After a tough day, I sometimes want to build a factory in the sky (check out the minecraft "Sky Factory" mod pack, from the AT Launcher, it's really quite the concept,) and not worry about fast paced adrenaline fueled bullshit.

Ducktales: Remastered. Anyone who played the original needs no explanation. Play it on Hard to get the true experience.

Bioshock: Infinite. All of my friends whine about the gameplay not being good. Don't care, as there are 5,000 games where "guns work good," but there's not even a single other game where I was inspired to stop and take stock of my every action and motive and consider not only the repercussions of what I do, but of what others might do after reacting to my actions. That's real-life reflecting, not in terms of the game itself.

Phoenix Wright. Good gravy do I get grief over this from my brother and cousins. Don't care in the slightest. Waiting for my Attorney's Badge Pin to arrive from Fangamer, so I can put it on the lapel of the suit I wear to church. That way, when I moderate the inevitable arguments afterward about what people think the REAL motives of the Civil War were, I can shout "OBJECTION!" whenever someone raises the bullshit claim that it was about "state rights." The rights of a State derive from the rights of the PEOPLE. A state that removes rights from its people invalidates its own rights, therefore such a non-state can not legitimately decide its own course. As much as I despise the growing oligarchy and tyranny of the Federal Government, with the removal of the rights of the individual, and therefore the invalidation of the rights of the state, the only legitimate government structure over the southern states was therefore the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of the Federal Government. Also, motherfuckers shot at US first, so who cares that we kicked some cracker ass? Am I right?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Bluestorm83 said:
Bioshock: Infinite. All of my friends whine about the gameplay not being good. Don't care, as there are 5,000 games where "guns work good," but there's not even a single other game where I was inspired to stop and take stock of my every action and motive and consider not only the repercussions of what I do, but of what others might do after reacting to my actions. That's real-life reflecting, not in terms of the game itself.
So...I'm the only one who could enjoy that gameplay independently of the story.

Guess I was exactly the target market.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I would have to choose ether the infamous series or Trauma Team. Both are truly different but they are so much fun and it's a great time to set friends in front of Trauma Team. Especially in one of the high speed first response surgeries and watch them flip out and try to do it.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
So...I'm the only one who could enjoy that gameplay independently of the story.

Guess I was exactly the target market.
Nope, I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay too. Story was fantastic but the game was also just so much fun to play, hovering people up in the air and blasting them with a shotgun never got old.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Squilookle said:
This game right here:

I've been playing it on and off more or less constantly since 1998. By not leaving it for a long time, I've avoided nostalgia backlash by keeping it fresh in mind, able to compare it to new releases as they come out.

I will freely admit that the game's multiplayer (which for a lot of you was all you ever chose to play of it) has aged terribly.

The singleplayer, however, is right up there among the greatest FPS singleplayer experiences ever created. Goldeneye does some things that are still ahead of the curve, outdoing even the latest games. And Perfect Dark that followed it? Some of the stuff in that game remains today the high water mark for console shooter technical achievement.

So in a nutshell, Goldeneye remains today every bit as fun and challenging as it was back when it released.

End of Story.
Does anyone ever really say that GoldenEye was crap though? I usually hear it mentioned in a "Greatest shooters of all time" sort of way. Sure it's an older game at this point and a lot of modern games can do what it did, and better, but I doubt there's a large portion of gamers saying that it sucks donkey nuts. I don't mean to attack you at all, I'm just not sure why anyone would give you a hard time for liking GoldenEye, which is what this thread seems to be aimed at discussing.

I'm a big fan of the Guitar Hero series over Rock Band and am happy to admit that. For me, the GH franchise (for the most part) managed to pick songs that were fun for the whole band to play, while RB setlists seem to have a lot more tracks that are really only fun for one instrument/vocalist

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
My retro example would definitely be "Batman Forever" on the Sega Megadrive.

The massive problem with this game is that if you can get your enemies at a distance, you can literally beat every single enemy in the game by spamming batarangs at a rate of about one every one-and-a-half seconds. (Which are fired by using the Street Fighter 2 "Hadoken" controls. Yep, this is a hand-breaker of a game.) And the second / fifth level music is really, really bad. (The rest of the music is fine, by the way.)

BUT... it's got a lot of secrets that are fun to find; the "legendary" third level (where you get a non-standard "game over" if you fail to reach the end before the bomb explodes) is actually pretty tense, especially if you know where all the secrets are and want to get 'em all before the end; and you get to fight enemies with some really fantastic naming (the clowns are called names like "Koko" and "Bubbles", for example). The Mortal Kombat-style fight engine works well enough unless the AI breaks (which happens regularly - enemies will just duck and let you hit them repeatedly sometimes). But honestly the game's hard enough that this almost acts as a balancing point. Yep, the game's silly design decisions are balanced out by the game's other silly design decisions. It's a perfect circle of stupid!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
The Halo series, loved these games including Reach, ODST and 4, but not Wars. The lore is brilliant and deep, gameplay is fun as hell and the music..... oh man that music does things to me.

Also for similar reasons the Metroid series, with the exceptions of Other M, Pinball and the original first game. Brilliant gameplay, art style, lore, atmosphere, gameplay and i could go on and on.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
not many games come to mind, i guess ill go with...

Bioshock Infinite: some of the game criticism i can game, but the one i hear the most is "oh its linear garbage" or something along those lines, yeah guess what, HL2 was also linear, linear also allowed the game to make enemy encounters much more interesting than in the original Bioshock, i loved the story, i loved loved LOVED the art direction, and i think the gameplay was very good for the most part, tough that 2 weapon limit seriously shouldve never existed, but overall i think the game is better than the original bioshock

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Darth Rosenberg said:
ABLb0y said:
Also, I actually like Anders, and I feel that people's accusations of him being 'whiny' and constantly going on about the mage's plight would have been accurate... If the mages weren't actually oppressed and he actually had a right to feel bad about it.
Eh, gotta confess that I wanted Hawke to shove her staff/blade through his eye socket the minute he appeared in the game - and that feeling only increased after playing it through once. (I don't see that as a negative of the game, btw. it's just Anders being a complete frikkin' psycho... )
I had him killed the moment the game gave me the option. Everything he did simply justified the perceptions of the most bigoted Templars.
for a moment there i thought you guys wre talking about Advance Wars

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Pokemon series- That's my crack addiction childhood right there, and I still play them. I will even talk about them loudly in public, my age be damned!

Assassin's Creed series - As much shit as I give AC3, it had it good moments. I love that series, and it's super fun.

Final Fantasy XIII - I don't believe it's a perfect game, but I had fun with it. FF fans can suck it if they don't like it.

Borderlands 2 - Because reasons. It's probably the most fun I've ever had and even bothered to play co-op. Everything about that game was just great and the classes, especially the Siren, are fun to play. Plus dem loots!

Diablo III - It was perfect when it came out, but when 2.0 came out it turned the game into a blast. It's slowly turning into what Diablo 2 was for me and that's a massinve time sink. Which is fine with me. MOAR LOOTS!!1!!! :D

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
Final Fantasy 8
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 1 to 3
.hack//franchise
Dungeons & Dragons / Pathfinder
Yu-Gi-Oh
Castlevania Curse of Darkness
LOTR The Third Age
many many more

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Homeworld series
Still has some of the best music and voice acting I have ever seen in a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLhS46IcnSs

Gerardo Vazquez

Sep 28, 2013
My list

The World Ends With You: Absolutely loved almost each and every part of it, from the frenetic and difficult to master duel screen battle system(one of the biggest flaws of the Ios port to the point I refuse to play it is the lack of a second absolutly crippled the game for me, which is oddly something I rarely find myself saying about DS games), the story, the ability to tweak your level and difficulty in order to personalize your own RiskVsReward play style, character designs, monster designs ect ect. Still waiting of that sequel Square Enix, and on the subject of waiting for sequels, my next entry is...

Sonic Chronicles The Dark Brotherhood: Yes, the graphics sucked, and the soundtrack was copied off the internet, but Bioware absolutely astounded me with well written characters,a legitimately engaging storyline, an impressive combination of different elements of Sonic Canon from the comics, to past games to TV shows, and yes they actually did get me to care about Big The Cat. I also pretty much enjoyed the combat, and since it ended on a Massive cliffhanger I hope Bioware gets working on sequel already.

Vanquish: Vanquish is just good old fun. You got bullet time, rocket slides, and a shapeshifting gun. What more could you want? Well.... perhaps more creative enviroments, and more creative, "Shurikens, and lightning" weaponry, but otherwise great game.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
the hidden eagle said:
Well I'm a huge fan of Assassin's Creed and Desmond(come at me Desmond haters, because he's not boring nor should he have been killed off in AC3.)I like the historic aspect and unlike some people I love the modern parts as well.
Possible controversial statement (for controversial, read 'not the standard internet "opinion", and therefore "wrong"): Desmond and his present day sections were what really held the series together. Without these two aspects, the series will just devolve into a series of vaguely connected historical jaunts looking for some random MacGuffin that is somehow really, really important.

I feel that AC peaked as a series With AC2 and Brotherhood. Black Flag can be argued to be a better game, but is left lacking as part of the overall series if you ask me.

Menageryl

Apr 4, 2014
The games I'm most "proud" to be a fan of - and which I often try to get friends etc. to actually try / play whenever given the opportunity, are also the games I personally rank amongst my own "Top 10 Games of All Time."

Most specifically, there are three game series that I count as single entries on that list:
The Thief series of games...
-->> Thief: The Dark Project
-->> Thief 2: The Metal Age
-->> Thief 3: Deadly Shadows
... I don't really count the new 2014 release amongst them.
... Quite simply, these games are the PINNACLE of stealth gaming. There isn't any better! That, combined with the simulation-based game design and emergent gameplay that's fostered by said design makes them unparallelled!
The Quest for Glory series from Sierra.
... Since their release through now there has NEVER been ANY other game released that has quite managed to balance the different core aspects of the games quite so well: Adventure; RPG; humour.
The Space Quest Series from Sierra.
-->> Best humour-focused games EVER created!!! :)
The Dark Mod
... A recreation of the Thief games in a modern engine. 100% free. 100% excellent!

A few other games I'm "loud and proud" of that I've not yet specifically spent time enough to decide where they rank on my personal ladder of bests, but which need mentioning:
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Crysis and Crysis 2.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Does anyone ever really say that GoldenEye was crap though? I usually hear it mentioned in a "Greatest shooters of all time" sort of way.
Oh absolutely. These days especially, any time Goldeneye gets mentioned in a favourable light, someone almost always steps in to bash it- enraged that it's been so fondly regarded for so much longer than the Halos and the CODs.

Hell even Yahtzee gets in on it:

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
FPLOON said:
-Monster Girl Quest
-Corruption of Champions
-Kingdom Hearts
-Tales of ________
-Hyperdimension Neptunia

Honorable mention goes towards Rayman in general... because I don't see how anyone would try to argue with liking the games one way or another, in my opinion...
Just quoting because I agree with the first two games listed, I just finished MGQ yesterday and I thought it had a pretty damn good storyline for its genre.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
I love Final Fantasy VIII as well. It's one of my all time favorite games and I still play it about once a year. I do use a game shark, as I can't be bothered with grinding and it makes the game a lot more fun to be overpowered from the get-go. I still hold the opinion that VIII's universe would have been perfect for an MMO.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet I'll say the Mega man Legends series. I love the universe, the characters, the gameplay, the references to the original and x games, and how it wasn't afraid to shake things up by trying something different. It has something of a cult following, but most hardcore mega man fans I know hate it with a passion.

Other games I'd like to mention: Xenogears, Illusion of Gaia, Kingdom Hearts, the Dead or Alive series, Chrono Cross (which gets a lot of slack for not being Chrono Trigger), Steambot Chronicles, and We <3 Katamari. I could probably keep going, but I don't want to make this any longer.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Hmmm,
Spellforce, Xenonauts, The Paradox grand strategy titles in general and Mount and Blade.
There used to be Dragon Age Origins on there, but after the second one...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
The Sonic franchise. I mean, yeah, Sonic 2006 was terrible. Newsflash: SONIC 2006 WAS EIGHT YEARS AGO. Sonic Unleashed was good (I don't give a fuck if you think "werehog gameplay doesn't fit, herp-derp", experimenting with different gameplay styles is good), Sonic Colors was great and Sonic Generations was fucking awesome. I didn't play Sonic Lost World because it's for a shitty console.

Singularity. It was great. Derivative as fuck? Yeah. But all the stolen shit is beautifully executed.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (the first one). Beautiful art direction, great soundtrack, nice gameplay and graphics. Plus, it's a Western CV game, something the franchise needed for a long time.