What games did you take a chance on but ended up liking.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Though it's already been said:

"Is he holding a florescent lighting fixture? Alright, lets give it a go."

Fucking. loved. it.

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
Bioshock. I had no idea what to expect when I got it for $20, I'd only seen random screenshots and knew nothing of the story/gameplay.

Best purchase of my life.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I recall it was back in..... 05'? Maybe 06'.
I went on a trip to japan for a week, and picked up a copy of the first "Monster Hunter" game.

Couldnt even read the text in it because i dont know a lick of japanese. Me and my friends stayed up and played it all night, going at it completely blind, guessing at half the stuff in the game because of the pictures and junk.

Been addicted to the series ever since. Though, its better translated so i can actually read what it says....

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
Mirrors edge

Dark souls...impule buy that ate my life.

Original fallout...hated the idea of the combat system (action points and all that then fell in love)

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Red Dead Redemption. Not a fan of westerns or GTA stuff, but that was a great game. Dark Cloud is another game from the last generation that I just found for cheap and didn't expect much of, yet had great fun with.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2.

I'm not a huge fan of RPGs, but I played those two and loved every minute of them both.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Yureina said:
Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed II, Civilization III, Red Faction: Guerilla, Europa Universalis, Baldur's Gate, and Call of Duty 4.

All of those games I ended up liking... quite alot. :eek:
... I don't get it ... you approached those games 'to take a chance on'? Sweet Jesus, what kind of games to you approach on purpose? Amongst those are some of the most famous of the last 10 years.

For me, games I just 'took a chance on' that I ended up liking:

Princess Maker 2
(mention this game and everyone looks at me thinking "..... awkwaaaard .....")

Elder Scrolls: Redguard
(the game that TES fans try to forget .... but I still dig those hot hot 3dfx graphics)

Police Quest
(Detective Sonny Bonds FTW)

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Borderlands, for $15 during the Steam Christmas sale. I'd tried playing Torchlight and didn't like it very much, and the fact that it had SecuROM on two of its pieces of DLC but not the main game was somewhat confusing. Add in the fact that it plays better in co-op and most of the people I know who have the game live on the other side of the world, causing my latency to go crazy, and I was somewhat doubtful about it. 16 levels later, any doubts I had had been assuaged.

Also, Sonic Colours (the Wii version), at $80 (I live in Australia), would probably be in my Top 10 Games Ever list if I ever made one. And when I bought it, I had no idea of anything about it except that Sonic was on the cover.

Wolfwood1203

Sep 4, 2011
I had no real interest in Deus Ex Human Revolution, I'd never played the originals, and I'm not the biggest fan of games that require stealth. But my god I loved that game.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Katawa Shoujo, all I had heard about it before playing it was "its a dating sim with disabled chicks" then, I played it and am now in love with it

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
Baten Kaitos was a very successful gamble. I'd never heard of it, but saw it on a store shelf and picked it up on a whim.

Burrito With Legs

Jan 27, 2012
I knew that once I decided to try Minecraft and League of Legends that I would enjoy them, and boy was I right. They're amazing games that I play very often, and I didn't know that I would enjoy them as much as I do. Some of my favorite games were games I took a chance on, and it really paid off. I'm considering taking a chance on Duke Nukem Forever, since it's only 5$ on Steam right now and it looks like it might be fun for a few hours.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
SWTOR.

I only played it because my then-boyfriend bought it for me. I wasn't expecting to like it because I was assuming it would be a WoW clone with a tacked-on story that was never given enough time to be as fleshed out as it could have been. And honestly, that's ultimately what it is. But I love my Imperial Agent so much, and her story, and her companion characters, that I can't help but be totally enthralled with the game.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I gave Final Fantasy 13 a try, and I love it. I usually hate JRPG's, and I hated FF 12 (which Ironically was my first Final Fantasy game), but after a price drop to $20, I tried it and I was quite pleased. I know that a lot of fans hate it, but I was surprised how interesting and unique the battle system worked(even if it still was turn-based), the story that was an interesting, if not muddled, tale about a group a people put a path to save their world from another and overthrow their evil government at the same time, only 1 of the characters was an agsty 15 year old, and the rest were very mature, complex adult(except for Vanielle), and it didn't have the constant friendship speeches that a lot of JRPG's and anime have. Defiantly say it's worth getting.

TenebrousNight

Mar 1, 2011
Sins of a Solar Empire

Never really played Homeworld or Galactic Civilizations, so I really didn't know what I was getting into. Figured "hey, why not," and just bought it. Fair warning to all who are remotely interested: if you do end up liking SoaSE, there's a good chance it will rob you days of your life.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Saints row 2

it took yahtzees glowing reveiw and ther being nothing else to play untill I finally got it

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I was going through a bunch of random "best indie games" lists I could find on the internet last year, and downloaded demos to all of the ones with demos on Steam. I started up Trine, expecting to just tick it off the list and move on... but it was just too good, right from the start. Loved it and its sequel.

I took a $3 chance on Alpha Protocol, which got all manner of mixed reviews, with most being pretty bad. I really liked it for the most part, though.

I didn't know much about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines when I bought it on launch. It just intrigued me for some reason. Turned out to be fucking awesome.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ninjafire72 said:
Bioshock. I had no idea what to expect when I got it for $20, I'd only seen random screenshots and knew nothing of the story/gameplay.

Best purchase of my life.
I know so little about it that I thourght it was a survival horror game that took place on a spaceship

and that being my first real encounter with curent gen/unreal engine graphics (and its visual style) I thought

"this...kind of looks like those 3D FMV cutscenes you get in old PC games (liek fallout 1)...but..in real time? whoa..."

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hitman 2 back on the Xbox original. Great freakin game and I got it from a bargain bin to boot. I got Dragon Quest VIII as well, not knowing anything about the series before and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Also, The Darkness. Grabbed it on a whim and loved it. The comics sucked though, I wouldn't recommend those...you'd think Punisher + Spawn would be great but...it didn't do anything for me.

Also Wind Waker: The Zelda most people dismissed because of the cell-shaded graphics and/or the sailing bits. Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda adventures to be honest: I love the bright, vibrant asthetic. I love sailing around to the different islands too, especially compared to the Sky which is basically just one town and a bunch of floating rocks of varying levels of smallness.