What games/enemies scared you as a kid?

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Chicken Run: the movie game tie-in.

the dogs scare me every time they catch me.

ShawnRiles

Jun 13, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
The Bone guys in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that showed up if you ever roamed the open fields at night.
Oh my god, I ran away from them all the time. Also those god damn humping zombies.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
When I was very little I tried to play Terror TRAX: Track of the Vampire, which was for 18 and up, me being about uh... eight? One of the first encounters in the game is a woman who had her eyes pulled out of her head. A man who was sentenced to death by the electric chair and had his organs donated came back to life and went looking for what was cut out of him. Scared me shitless. Nevertheless, I wasn't able to progress in the game, since it couldn't save. Every time I started over I looked in those bloody, empty sockets again.

So who's gonna top that?

After that, the big fish from Half-Life was pretty scary too.

dee_dubs

Nov 8, 2007
There are very few games that ever truly scared me, but I think the prize has to go to 'Shivers'. It was a first person adventure game from Sierra where you were trapped in this insane museum full of puzzles with a large number of soul stealing monsters called Ixupi that would inhabit certain materials (and the audio cues when you got close to their hiding places were freaky enough).
I vividly remember the first time I found the first floor secret passage. You get into it through the library, and the library is one of the few locations in the game where you feel safe (it only has one Ixupi turning up and trying to eat your soul.) The library is a small room full of wooden furniture, bookcases and most importantly books (these books contain just about everything you need to know to survive, and also hold they keys to a lot of the puzzles). The music is fairly calm and as long as you don't get too close the the giant wax candle (one of the hiding places for the wax Ixupi) there are no disturbing noises. When you open up one of the bookcases and step through you find yourself in a cold, metal corridor. It has a very industrial look to it, skulls on the doors, the scattered belongings of a former victim, creepy techno music and the occasional whisper of "Help me" or a scream. The first time I played this game I could not get out of there fast enough. Ironically, that corridor is even safer than the library, as no Ixupi turn up there, it just doesn't feel that way.

Cerrax

Feb 15, 2009
Alone In The Dark was scary as hell. Resident Evil was a cakewalk after playing that game.

Had nightmares about the Wallmasters in Zelda:LTTP

Couldn't play Super Metroid with the lights off.

Hell, even Oblivion was pretty scary the first time you go into an Oblivion Gate.

And Bioshock had some good scares.

Chardan

Dec 5, 2009
Back when I was about 6 or 7 I had 102 Dalmations (yes, 102) on the Playstation. The Dog catchers used to scare the hell out of me because the crappy camera didn't tilt to face the dog catcher until he was about a foot away. Scary as hell.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
If I had played Halo CE years ago I probably would have gotten nightmares about the flood.

The Spectator

Sep 14, 2009
Haha, I remember that I played one of the first Pokémon gameboy games and I got to the city with all the ghosts in it and I was scared shitless and didn't want to play it at night.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Truthfully I don't think any games really scared me that young since they really didn't make horror games, the closest was like "Haunted House" for the Atari 2600.

Now later there are some games that I found creepy, like say the "Fatal Frame" series and I've been gotten with jump out shocks a few times, but by the time horror games started to seriously appear on the PS-1 I had become jaded enough to be relatively immune.

A much more fair question in my case would be "what movies scared you as a kid", and that would involve titles like "Poltergeist". In retrospect this actually wound up causing my love of the horror genere. When and why things became reversed I do not know.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
ShawnRiles said:
Pimppeter2 said:
The Bone guys in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that showed up if you ever roamed the open fields at night.
Oh my god, I ran away from them all the time. Also those god damn humping zombies.
The Redead!! Those guys were creepy.

I remember getting really freaked out as a kid on the second mission of Dark Forces. It was set in some place following an attack by a bunch of Dark troopers, there were all these skeletons on the ground and shit. Scary stuff.

hyperhammy

Jan 4, 2010
Lol I'm 14 and The Godfather was the first M rated game I've ever played. I started playing with my brother and after seeing the dad get shot with the creepy music and all of the blood, turned it off and took it back to blockbusters. Resident evil 5 and Left 4 Dead creeped me out. Playing alone at night.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
ReDead from Loz:OOT.

Also known as rape zombies.

Also the Gates of Hell from The Last Remnant still creeps me out, its just so god dman wierd...

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
HitsWithStyxx said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Mortons4ck said:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple levels.
I think i can safely say that any kid who played LoZ:OoT was scared shitless by the well
I seond that motion. Though, as I was only about 6 or 7, I didn't get past the Deku Tree Interior for a good few months. It was the way it suddenly changed from bright, sunny, outdoors optimism to ominous, lowlit, and cavernous rooms, full of monsters.
yeah, The Skulltula's always scared me in that place, just the eight glowing eyes and the skull face on their bodies

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
dududf said:
chozo_hybrid said:
dududf said:
I CAN'T play the metroid prime games any more. I scared the shit out of myself when I was younger, and now I just can't play The Game any more.
Being a Metroid fan has got me curious about this, is there a story there?
I played the first Metroid when I was young, and fool hardy. I was probably about 7 at the time, and was not 100% sure if video games were real. I go to play the first level of Metroid Prime (3D for game cube) and the pirate level scared me reaaaal bad. Seriously I was freaking out at the time, and I never even got to a point where I'd shoot stuff, I was just too worried.

Any how, if I play a metroid I remember that time, and it's suddenly harder to play. That and I suck with scary stuff because I'm too god damn empathetic. Seriously, dieing when I don't expect it freaks me the eff off.

And that's the story.

tl;dr= I'm a pussy, and shame on you for needing a tl;dr.
That was quite the scary atmosphere part of the game, and shame on me indeed ^^;

Dr_Roxo24

Nov 9, 2009
it took me MONTHS to beat games because for some reason i was scared of dieing or something like that

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
KrakFoxx said:
Protector Drones and Protozoid Slimers from Duke Nukem 3d...
I hated the Protozoid Slimers. They used to really freak me out, so much so that my friend would make fun if me for it. They'd freak me out so much that I'd go into a panic if I so much as heard that sound they made when they were in the room.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
That first unfinished Dark Trooper you find in the bottom of that mine in Dark Forces gave me the creeps.

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
Arcade game Sinistar - That thing made this god aweful loud, digitized voice when the stage boss would come on screen (basically big skeletal head spaceship thing as I recall) that scared the ever loving shit out of me.

Commodore 64 - the "Halloween" game, whenever you encountered Jason, yet another ungodly loud digitized scream would play and a still graphic with Jason's mask would pop up then you'd have to run away or somehow drive him off.