What games/enemies scared you as a kid?

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Myst. It was among my first video games and I always dreaded exploring Achenar's rooms. The one that really did it for me though was his secret room in that Gear Age that I forget the name of. The electric cage was bad enough, but then I happened to open one of the boxes and... *shudder*. I couldn't pick up the game for a few days after that and when I finally did, I looked up the walkthrough so that I could skip straight to the good ending.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Misterian said:
Chicken Run: the movie game tie-in.

the dogs scare me every time they catch me.
wait wait wait, they made a video game for that movie??

Also as a kid whenever my character would be swimming in a lake if he was far out enough that I couldn't see the bottom I'd always be scared something would come up and grab me (the character)

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
Never been scared by games except when I played Metroid Fusion when I was a kid.

This clone of you randomly will show up and hunt for you, only introduced by the music hushing and the sound of footsteps. If she figures out where you are, then she can shoot through walls to kill you.

Of the like, three times you encounter her, only two make you fight/ run from her. But it was still pretty creepy.

Thr Long Man

Oct 29, 2009
Very few games scared me as a kid.
There is however, a single game and a pair of series' that I'm far to terrified of to touch anymore.
Resident Evil: Remake.
I have no idea why this game scares me so much. I can play any of the other games and just giggle at blowing up zombies and whatnot, but remake absolutely chills my blood.
Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill
AitD: I had one game, that came with my pc when I bought it. I gave that god damn thing away so fast it was like it never existed.
SH: I have never, ever dared touch anything related to this. Save for the film, but that was crap.

War Monkey782

May 5, 2009
Legend of Zelda ocarina of time, redead and dead hand. The levels themselves didn't scare me, but seeing one of those giant hands drop down on terrified me, also those strange worm/mouth things that stole your equipment, it terrified me to see them reaching for me. The first level, the giant spider, the skull spiders I was fine with. Legend of Zelda Majora's mask, every single transformation mask, especially the Zora. The moon was creepy, the mask itself wasn't scary but the arena you fought it in was. Also that giant eye thing was disturbing.
Super Mario 64, the piano, only enemy you couldn't kill.
Banjo Kazooie, those pipe things on the ship. The noise they made when you hit them was creepy, and they couldn't be killed by anything.
I forget the name of the game, but it was co-op, and you fought giant bugs. I am still afraid of bugs. The giant tick monster was the scariest.
The game boy color Lego game, the underground monster. All you had to fight it with was pizza.

discostoo

Feb 18, 2010
Shadow of the Beast on the Commodore 64 - some ugly monsters on that.

Fiendish Freddy's Big Top o Fun - C64 again, that game was twisted.

Contra 3 - The Final Boss's head - WTF?!?!

Doom - Barons death cry still unnerves me, the imps gurgling off screen and then of course, the Cyberdemon's hoof thump. Plus if anyone played Final Doom on the PSX, there were some cathedral levels and babies crying in the soundtrack. Wrong!

RE Nemesis - Mainly because he broke the rule that you could be safe behind the loading door.

Zelda - Link to the Past's Shadow world was bad, considering i was about 10, and Ocarina was playing on my overactive teenage mind.

Eternal Darkness on the GC - seriously, if you haven't played that, find it, it'll drive you mad.

Metroids - just the music that accompanies them.

System Shock 2 - the precursor to Dead Space, but more imaginative.

Doom 3 had certain moments inbetween the shoddy lighting and obvious jumpy bits. Where the blood started dripping and the child was walking in front of you as you descended further alone into the depths of the outpost.

The Ghost Houses on Mario World.....?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
mr.aravaro said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Mortons4ck said:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple levels.
I think i can safely say that any kid who played LoZ:OoT was scared shitless by the well
don't forget the redeads
yeah, they scared me too, I don't know why though (other then the scream)

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
OutcastBOS said:
FlshrImp said:
hahaha, dingodile scared the crap outta me for no reason whatsoever. always called my brother down to finish him for me while i hid behind a chair.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/crashban/images/1/1c/Dingodile_5.jpg
LOOK AT IT!!
BAAAAAAHH!!! DAVID!! HELP ME!!!
(david is the name of my brother.)

sirkai007

Apr 20, 2009
I would say either the Zombies from Thief: the Dark Project or the Hybrids from System Shock 2

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
esperandote said:
Mike Tyson

really? I mean I suppose to a child he looks scary but other then that...I dont know

OH! I just remembered I have a perfect scary moment, when I was a kid my brothers friend let us borrow his PS, which had a demo disk along with the other games, on the demo disk was Gex and my friends and I played it, we got to this part where there was this basement with one blinking light in the middle, we go into the middle and this really ugly ghost appears and screams at us, scaaary

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
half Life 2 when I first played (long after it had come out) also scared the crap out of me, I remember that room with the very first poison head crabs that drop down on you scared the crap out of me

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Oh yes, ReDeads and Wall/Floormasters (the giant disembodied hands) scared me. The Iron Knuckle enemies were creepy, but not scary. (Ocarina of Time, if you haven't guessed)

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I found the brown mummies that screamed in Ocarina of Time to be scary. I am contributing to this thread.

Angel52

Feb 14, 2010
surprisingly I was not scared of the very first silent hill when i played it when i was 6 (mostly because I had no idea what the heck I was doing or what was going on, but more some reason it did not stop me from playing lol)

but in terms of genuine terror.

1- Resident Evil 3: nemesis- the first time he came smashing through a door with a rocket launcher made me not sleep that night.
2- Silent Hill 2- seeing pyramid head for the first time....
3- fatal frame: crimson butterfly
4- Eternal Darkness- the second mansion level.
5- Dead space- the regenerator..

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
thatguy1 said:
The only thing I can remember being scared of is sweet tooth's photo from the first twisted metal. my brother played it and made me be scared of video games (7 at the time) until I was comforted by an NSX in gran turismo, reassuring me that games were awesome and not scary.
This, only in the second one. His ending photo really...is he drooling, or is his face melting?
OT: as of now scions, but back then, any spiders/zombies