What games/enemies scared you as a kid?

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
Doom. The entire final level of the first episode (we were poor, we only had shareware for the looongest time) ranks #1 in my list of most terrifying game moments ever.

The level's music is mournful and ominous. It's up there in my list of the greatest boss music ever.

You take what seems like the slowest elevator ride ever to the boss chamber (which is shaped like a giant pentagram, natch) while the creepy music continues to play.

Once you're there, you're treated to one of the most terrifying sounds in gaming ever: the roars of two Barons of Hell. A lot of versions had a pitch randomizer, so their roars would be slightly off-key with one another, which was absolutely terrifying if you aren't expecting it.

Once you beat them, the walls of the pentagram-room slide down, revealing a teleporter outside. Awesome. You're almost out of there. You press the button to get to the steps, which take twice as long as the elevator to the boss chamber did. Once you're finally there, you're teleported to a dark room full of monsters where you are slowly killed regardless of whether or not you have God Mode on.

The "end of episode" text makes this worse. I'm not exactly sure if this is right, but it goes something like this: "Once you clean out the moon base and beat the big badasses, you're supposed to win, right? Right?! Where's your big reward and ticket out of here?! It's not supposed to end this way!" It goes on to tell you that there are more episodes to finish and that you should probably buy the full game, but holy crap, that's how you end a demo!

thatguy1

Mar 1, 2010
OutcastBOS said:
thatguy1 said:
The only thing I can remember being scared of is sweet tooth's photo from the first twisted metal. my brother played it and made me be scared of video games (7 at the time) until I was comforted by an NSX in gran turismo, reassuring me that games were awesome and not scary.
This, only in the second one. His ending photo really...is he drooling, or is his face melting?
OT: as of now scions, but back then, any spiders/zombies
Found it, and the childhood horrors come flowing back, I mean look at sweet tooth's picture, I'll even admit i'm still scared of it!

http://www.freewebs.com/twistedmetalgames/twistedmetal.htm

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Tomb Raider 2.

Running from a giant boulder and fighting yetis and Trex... a happy camper it does not make.

Straitjacketeering

Jan 3, 2009
Only game that was able to scare me really bad was the first suffering game when playing in first person, I mean in third person Torque is such and absolute badass even in the way he walks you feel invincible. In first person not so much.

dannyboi1236

Oct 22, 2008
Emphasis said:
I used to be immensely scared of Abe from Abe's Oddyssy/Exodus.. All the enemies too freaked me out badly.
same here. it was the cut scenes that used to get me. another game was doom 2 i remember playing that for the first time when i was 6-7 and my cousin had told me to play it sitting really close to the screen with the sound up..... have never liked the game since.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Uncreative said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Mortons4ck said:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple levels.
I think i can safely say that any kid who played LoZ:OoT was scared shitless by the well
Pimppeter2 said:
The Bone guys in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that showed up if you ever roamed the open fields at night.
I agree with all the above.

All these things scared me so much that I never really got to play as Adult Link. To this day, I've never completed Ocarina of Time... Ugh, those ReDead grunts...

theSchlub

Mar 24, 2009
The Skulltulas from Ocarina of Time always frightened me. I'm arachnophobic and they have an annoying tendency to drop from seemingly nowhere. They got even worse in Twilight Princess...

Also, anyone else find the sixth house from Morrowind rather creepy? Apart from being among the strongest and deadliest enemies you can face, they grow increasingly more and more monstrous looking. The worst has to be the Ascended Sleeper.