What games have your friends insulted, without even playing them?

TCPirate

Dec 1, 2009
So I was talking to a friend the other day and I mentioned I'd been playing minecraft and the response I got from him was "That game is completely S**T, Even the graphics are horrible."
so I replied "Oh... I didn't know you'd even played it." He blurted out, rather quickly, "Oh... Well I haven't played it, but I've seen pictures of it."

At that point, I wanted to punch him in the face. It just bothers me when people make judgements on a game they've never played. I can understand it if it was part of a series and you didn't like the game series, but when it's an original IP and the first of its kind, It really annoys me.

So my question is this:
What games have your friends insulted, without even playing them?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I bought Mario Galaxy 2. Here is an actual, damn near word-for-word exchange I had with a friend.

Friend: You wasted your money on Mario Galaxy 2?
Me: I like it, and I know it's going to be fun.
Friend: Well all it is is that it's adding some new power-ups, Yoshi, some new levels and tweaking a little stuff from the old one. Why not get something that isn't such a rip-off, like Left 4 Dead 2?

...I'm curious as to just how many people on this site will actually understand what the problem was.

InsaneMaggot

Jul 30, 2011
Friends looked at me funny when i mentionted that i enjoy the Ace Attorney Series.
Or that i was playing a yugioh game on the gba, because the card-came aspect is quite enjoyable to kill some time.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
I bought Mario Galaxy 2. Here is an actual, damn near word-for-word exchange I had with a friend.

Friend: Well all it is is that it's adding some new power-ups, Yoshi, some new levels and tweaking a little stuff from the old one. Why not get something that isn't such a rip-off, like Left 4 Dead 2?

...I'm curious as to just how many people on this site will actually understand what the problem was.

To your friend: So just like what Valve did in L4D2 then :3

OT: Borderlands and TF2.

My friends said it was shitty cartoon games.

I love both...so ya :p

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Mr. Omega said:

What was your friend on? Or is he really that stupid. Isn't L4D2 basically a palette swap for L4D1?

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
MGS4
Resistance
inFamous
Killzone 2
Uncharted

Pretty much every PS3 exclusive that I had a couple years back one of my friends would constantly insult and rip apart even though he had never even seen one of em played. He shut up when he watched me play MGS4 and ended up enthralled in what was going on. He was a fanboy in the worst sense. If it wasn't on the 360 it was crap and I was dumb for having it.

I have another friend that would make fun of both 360 and PS3 and would say that his Wii was better.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Catherine , a friend of mine thought it was a hentai game , unlike OP i smacked him upside the head had him play it for about an hour and convertes him to catherinism. Damn straight

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
My friends badmouth Amnesia : The Dark Descent whenever I bring it up in conversation, and one time I was whimpering over skype to them and they were saying it was a horribly boring game.
One day I'll make them play it...Then we'll see how boring it is...

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
Terraria.

Then I gifted it to him, convinced him to play some, now he's played over 60 hours with his wife (which he purchased soon after).

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Cronq said:
Terraria.

Then I gifted it to him, convinced him to play some, now he's played over 60 hours with his wife (which he purchased soon after).
Hmm, I should purchase a wife sometime... XD

OT: Come to think of it I don't talk about games with my friends at all. I guess we all accept that we like different genres and leave it at that.

CommieX

Aug 3, 2011
I have a friend who hates League of Legends SO MUCH that he actually denies it's existence, insisting that we're "making the game up". Needless to say, he's never played.

We got his girlfriend to start playing the game. He was not too happy :p

l33tabix

Mar 16, 2008
TCPirate said:
So I was talking to a friend the other day and I mentioned I'd been playing minecraft and the response I got from him was "That game is completely S**T, Even the graphics are horrible."
TC Pirate, your friend doesn't understand what "Indy Developer", "Beta" or "Gameplay" mean and therefore is ignorant to exactly what Minecraft is. I get far more angry when it's a Band/Album they have NEVER HEARD, and voice an opinion on it.

Mr. Omega said:
Mr.Omega, your friend is aware of what "Gameplay" means as he list everything that explains why I haven't bought a Nintendo console since I sold my Gamecube. Whilst his counter-argument pertaining to L4D2 is obviously something completely invalid as he was unable to clock that not only did it come out EXACTLY a year after L4D1 but by adding melee weapons, new zombies, maps and items they are obviously doing their own version of patching/sequels for Nintendo (seeing as they act like they're still decades behind) or in this case "adding Yoshi, planets, power-ups etc. etc. Oh and obv like...the irony there is insane so check this:

As for my example, I have an insanely stubborn mate who can get in a right old state once and a while when he reckons he's right. Now I'm sure I'll get hate for this, but the Move is Superior to the Kinect. I don't care about voice recognition and all that fruity BS, use a headset, but for it's main perpose, motion tracking, it is worse off than the Move. Now my mate couldn't handle this at all. Despite me getting the specs and capabilities of both the camera up, how fast they capture at this definition etc. and after saying for ages about how he'd get a Kinect and not a Move (this is before we had played either btw) then right at the end (as he always does) he realised he was losing and said "Yeah well what your saying doesn't matter, I'll use a controller anyway"...
So essentially after telling me for like 5 solid minute hows you want to get a Kinect and you reckon it's all this and all that, you're going to use a controller anyway...most null point in existance.

I now have a move, it's awesome, it's cheap, games are cheap, good stuff is incoming for it also. I've still not played Kinect, but I have at least 5 friends who have one, and just about everyone I know has played on one, not a single positive review has befallen my ears.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
InsaneMaggot said:
Friends looked at me funny when i mentionted that i enjoy the Ace Attorney Series.
Or that i was playing a yugioh game on the gba, because the card-came aspect is quite enjoyable to kill some time.
That's because it's Yu-Gi-Oh...*totally isn't an elitist Magic player*...

l33tabix

Mar 16, 2008
Skye1 said:
Oblivion. He said it looked stupid and too much like a sci-fi game.
Oh man, spat juice everywhere. Never take a drink after uploading a post kids.

InsaneMaggot

Jul 30, 2011
Megacherv said:
InsaneMaggot said:
That's because it's Yu-Gi-Oh...*totally isn't an elitist Magic player*...
yeah sure. but the gameplay is still fun if you give it a try. i tried magic a few times, but it's just so boring in comparisson IMO (just making it clear that this is opinion, not fact)

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I'll be honest that me and my friends all share a hatred for CoD games and we watched clips on Black Ops and slammed it to hell but have never, nay, will never play it.

Hatred comes from MW2 and the amount of whining gits we came across that cry when we killed them.

If you don't like getting shot to shit don't play a sodding shooting game ..... tits.

We used to play Unreal dare I say "back in the day" or during the late 90's early 2000's to sound less like a dick and we loved it. The tournements the little rivalries we built up with other teams and the like. Then we drifted away from FPS games for some reason.

We came back for MW2 and seems the whole "feel" of it has changed from a place of fun and rivalry to crying like a muppet if you get slaughtered. Heaven forbid someone out there is just better at it than you NO they must be cheating somehow ..... NERF THEM ALL.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Mr. Omega said:

The blatant hypocrisy? The arrogance?
OP: The typical JRPG bashing. You know, the type of bashing where they come off as misinformed and arrogant. JRPGs are RPGs. Deal with it.