What games to get on the thanksgiving steam sale?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So as we all know soon the thanksgiving steam sale will be upon our wallets. What are some lesser known games you would recommend for people to keep an eye on in case they are on sale?

Shooters

This is one of the most interesting shooters I've seen, the story is actually pretty cool and shouldn't be spoiled. The gameplay is really solid and its got great tunes and a lot of secrets.

This is just the best shooter around, it uses some light roguelike mechanics and has somewhat randomized levels but it works so well. Plus, the most banger sound track in a shooter ever with fantastic gameplay.

FPS

This game is Descent. It plays like just a modern version of Descent, its fantastic, but beware if you have motion sickness.

Side scrollers

This game looks fantastic, plays fantastic and sounds fantastic. Its kind of a run and gun like contra but with cover mattering more.

point and click

Its not often you can just feel the love that went into a game. You really can here, its so well animated, even for things that didn't need to be animated. The puzzles are solid, the story is fun, if you like point and click then highly recommended.

Another really great point and click. This one is still in early access, but the 4th chapter should be coming out soon. This one has a style that really puts me in mind of the Legend of Kyrandia series. It has nicely detailed pixel art, a charming story and great puzzles that have multiple solutions.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So as we all know soon the thanksgiving steam sale will be upon our wallets. What are some lesser known games you would recommend for people to keep an eye on in case they are on sale?

Another really great point and click. This one is still in early access, but the 4th chapter should be coming out soon. This one has a style that really puts me in mind of the Legend of Kyrandia series. It has nicely detailed pixel art, a charming story and great puzzles that have multiple solutions.
I reminds me of Inherit the Earth a lot, a game that really needed more love. Also, it looks really cute and chill.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I reminds me of Inherit the Earth a lot, a game that really needed more love. Also, it looks really cute and chill.
Foxtail really is nice and chill. Its just really charming. Inherit the Earth does look pretty neat, kind of looks like one of the older point and clicks, just after they got rid of text but before they stream lined how you interacted.

A few other games to keep an eye out for.
Side scrolling.

This game is awesome, like just awesome. It has a presentation that I almost never see in a side scrolling action game. You have scenes with frinedly NPCs that help you fight and make it really feel like you are part of a larger force. It also has a really fun giant robot anime story and very fun solid gameplay. It even has multi player, but that seems rather dead, but there are bots and even with them its fun.

This is more of a bit of a metroidvania type. I found it a bit easy but really fun, good story and good controls with dark undertones. Its one I've been meaning to play through again, but just haven't gotten to it yet.

FPS

No, I won't stop banging on about Hedon. It really is an incredible fps game. It's built on the GZdoom engine, but it doesn't quite play like any other Doom type game. There is much more emphasis on exploration and the key items you find are rarely just keys. It also just had the second chapter released for it which is much more open world then the first.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Foxtail really is nice and chill. Its just really charming. Inherit the Earth does look pretty neat, kind of looks like one of the older point and clicks, just after they got rid of text but before they stream lined how you interacted.
Inherit the Earth is an interesting game if a little clunky. It does suffer in two regards though. Apparently the dev team wanted it to be a somewhat serious plot and setting but with furries and the publishers saw the game and said "Oh, cartoons. Make it kiddie friendly" and there is this sense of a constant tug of war where the dev team is trying to make it as adult as they can possibly sneak under the publishers radar who kept insisting it needed to be aimed towards the kiddy demographic and it feels a little wierd as a result. Also it ends on a cliffhanger, and never got a sequel, so none of underlying questions(namely, where did all the humans go?) are ever answered.

Apparently it's one of the reasons it's been so hard to get a sequel going because the publishers didn't want to approve one. The original devs finally bought the rights and have been kickstarting a sequel for a while now.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Inherit the Earth is an interesting game if a little clunky. It does suffer in two regards though. Apparently the dev team wanted it to be a somewhat serious plot and setting but with furries and the publishers saw the game and said "Oh, cartoons. Make it kiddie friendly" and there is this sense of a constant tug of war where the dev team is trying to make it as adult as they can possibly sneak under the publishers radar who kept insisting it needed to be aimed towards the kiddy demographic and it feels a little wierd as a result. Also it ends on a cliffhanger, and never got a sequel, so none of underlying questions(namely, where did all the humans go?) are ever answered.

Apparently it's one of the reasons it's been so hard to get a sequel going because the publishers didn't want to approve one. The original devs finally bought the rights and have been kickstarting a sequel for a while now.
Considering that Nightdive is the publisher, you would think they would be ok with that sort of thing. But then again they also might have been thinking to the old point and clicks that tended to be more humor then darkness. I guess if it was published by Devolver Digital then they would have been all over however dark it wanted to go.

Anyway, if you want something that seems like it can go either charming or dark then check this out.

This is a bit more of a VN and a point and click merged together, but its got a pretty interesting story going on and I love the art style. I still need to get chapter 2, I've been waiting till I have time to replay chapter 1 since there are a number of different paths to take.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

A little puzzle platformer where you play as a spider trying to save their spider mate from a bird. Of course, you can do some webswinging, and some skateboarding, and you can make friends with other bugs by dancing with them. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's a cute and charming game with smooth controls.

A sports rpg centered about creating the ultimate dodgeball team.A bit reminiscent of Paper Mario in looks and some of the gameplay. The dialogue and story is a bit silly, feels a bit like a mix a Cartoon Network show and a sports anime, but it's fun, provided a decent challenge, and does not overstay its welcome.

A first person photography game set in a dystopian cyberpunk future, but there's also an alien invasion going on. Basically a puzzle game where you're tasked with finding certain things in the environment and take pictures of them. Short and kind of basic gameplay, but has some really great environmental story telling.

Another rpg where you control a group of kids manning a big fuck off tank. Upgrade your magical tank into a rolling fortress city and level up your crew while managing their interpersonal relationships, then destroy enemy vehicles in turn-based fights. Preparez-vous au combat.

Solid action platformer, sort of reminiscent of Ducktales and Alex Kidd, with a bit of metroidvania sprinkled through. Boasts beautiful spritework and a nice soundtrack. Perhaps a little on the easy side tho.

A modern take on the classic MSX Metal Gear games, and just about as insane and cheesy.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Considering that Nightdive is the publisher, you would think they would be ok with that sort of thing. But then again they also might have been thinking to the old point and clicks that tended to be more humor then darkness. I guess if it was published by Devolver Digital then they would have been all over however dark it wanted to go.
At the time it was New World Computing and 3DO which went bankrupt in 2003, about 10 years after the game was released in 1994.I can only guess they were dicks or something and apparently they did the Might and Magic series to a certain point.

A modern take on the classic MSX Metal Gear games, and just about as insane and cheesy.
Unmetal is an excellent homage to the MSX Metal Gear games and probably the best experience you can get ATM unless you have access to MG2: Solid Snake(and it's kind of a crime that it's not available on PC right now). Even then, Unmetal has a lot more Quality of Life features MG2 doesn't have.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
FPS

This game is Descent. It plays like just a modern version of Descent, its fantastic, but beware if you have motion sickness.
Fyi for anyone interested, this one is currently 75% off on the Humble store.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
At the time it was New World Computing and 3DO which went bankrupt in 2003, about 10 years after the game was released in 1994.I can only guess they were dicks or something and apparently they did the Might and Magic series to a certain point.
Ohhhhhh, so its actually a really old point and click that Nightdive just got working on modern stuff. Neat.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A few more games you may enjoy.

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this game. I tend not to like open world games, I'll have some fun with them, then get bored and do something else, but Days Gone managed to hold my attention pretty well. The story is pretty standard for a zombie game, but the writing is really good and having a personal motorcycle really makes traveling feel better, even then games where you just grab random random vehicle.

This is a really fun arcade space shooter. Kinda puts me in mind of Ace Combat in space, although they don't have the budget for all the bells and whistles of that series, but its still quite fun.

This game is awesome. Its really fun driving around the top down view and blowing stuff up, plus, its got a really fun GI-Joe style plot.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
A few more games you may enjoy.

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this game. I tend not to like open world games, I'll have some fun with them, then get bored and do something else, but Days Gone managed to hold my attention pretty well. The story is pretty standard for a zombie game, but the writing is really good and having a personal motorcycle really makes traveling feel better, even then games where you just grab random random vehicle.
FYI green man gaming generally undercut steam during big sales for big budget game, so days gone is 50% off there if anyone was planning on buying it (no idea how that work).

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
FYI green man gaming generally undercut steam during big sales for big budget game, so days gone is 50% off there if anyone was planning on buying it (no idea how that work).
That's not unusual, a lot of key sellers frequently offer better discounts. In particular Fanatical, GamersGate, GameBillet, WinGameStore and GamesPlanet can do some deep cuts, partially helped by the coupon codes you can find around to shave off a couple more bucks. Days Gone is actually slightly cheaper on Fanatical, GameBillet and WinGameStore than GreenManGaming right now, tho this depends on your region. Fyi, those are all legit stores. No shady grey market like G2A or Kinguin.

For anyone interested, here's a handy site to help find the best price for pc games

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is known, but using a weird third party site is always weird. Plus I don't really care about getting a game for the cheapest deal, I have money. I care more about feeling like I'm getting a deal and having the fun of vacillating over my steam wishlist for days on days.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I got Age of Empires II DE on Instant Gaming a couple of days ago, so now I hope it won't go on some turbo sale. Because it would mean a waste of a buck or two. Imagine the horror.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Now that it actually started I guess I'll flip teh formula and ask about smaller game on my wishlist that seem interesting and I'm on the fence about buying if anyone has experience.

There's been so many 2D roguelike over the last few years, its hard to justify buying another one. Does it do anything to stand out?

Somewhat similar, another roguelike (top down this time). I like those type of game, but the indie industry just bump so much out these days its hard to keep up.

I like playing as non human character so this looks nice, but stealth is pretty hard to do so smaller budget game tend to make simplistic level to compensate.

Not even 2 months out and already 50% off, not a good sign... It looks fun though

Looks like a fun twist on the usual colonization/city building type of game, but it seems like they're stronger focus on story came at the cost of gameplay depths.

I only play RTS as single player but I can't get a feel for how this one would work. Is it just skirmish with an introduction or crafted map with gameplay tweak?

I've seen disaster report game for a long time but I don't really get what the gameplay is. They seem more like sligthly interactive movie than game.

Xcom like, which are way harder to do than you'd think. Balance is everything, too easy and you snowball, too hard and you can't progress.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1220150/Blue_Fire/

Zelda like (maybe with some souls in there?). I've played plenty that made them so easy most puzzle were just "push a button to win" except you'd need to do it by pushing a block slowly for 10 minutes.

Kinda look like crimsons skies, but warhammer game don't have a very good track record...

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I got LA Noire, cost about $10. Seems a fair price for a game of its age and I like period detective fiction.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like playing as non human character so this looks nice, but stealth is pretty hard to do so smaller budget game tend to make simplistic level to compensate.
Ghost of a Tail is pretty neat, the stealth is somewhat simplistic but its got a really neat style to it especially if you like stealth games.

I only play RTS as single player but I can't get a feel for how this one would work. Is it just skirmish with an introduction or crafted map with gameplay tweak?
I don't know about the single player of this, but with the demo it played like Company of Heroes, just without the budget. I can see how they could tweak skirmish maps to make a single player work though, Dawn of War 2 did that.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Astalon: Tears of the Earth

If you want a game that looks like an oldschool NES Castlevania game but plays with modern Metrovania sensibilities then this is the game for you. It's got great art, a simple but effective story, and great gameplay. Lots of good stuff in this one.

Everhood

The aesthetics for this one were so nostalgic for me. It looks like it came right out of the SNES era. It's a sort of "anti-rhythm" game in that it's based on avoiding the notes of music that the enemy bosses send at you with left and right movement and jumping. Music is very good, it has a surprisingly interesting plot once you get deeper into it and it's full of memorable characters and great art.

Dragon Marked For Death

If you ever played the Megaman Zero series and loved it then this should be right up your ballpark. Made by Into Creates, this is a side-scrolling action game with multiplayer. It's very fun and has great art.

Azur Striker Gunvolt

Similar to above but much more in the Megaman X vein and has a unique playstyle of "tagging" an enemy to deal damage to them. Once again, great music and artwork and style and gameplay.

Inmost

A dark story focused side scroller. It has a very good mood to it but it's hard to talk about the story without spoiling things. It's a very beautiful and serious story though and I highly recommend it.

The Count Lucanor

A very strange game. The tone of it is reminiscent of a lot of old P&C Adventure games, it has both goofy and silly elements to it alongside dark and scary ones. Like a man eating corn off the ground while butt naked and saying he's a pig alongside goats walking on two legs with sharp teeth and dancing around the decapitated head of their shepherd. It's also surprisingly wholesome in many points, it's like a Grimm fairy tale packaged in a P&C Adventure game.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Labyrinth of Refrain

A first person dungeon crawler with party building. The story is very dark but also heartwarming. It's a very bitter sweet kind of story and I love the characters and world it builds. Also, if it's the kind of thing that will sway you, it has a lesbian romance in the story that I felt was done well.

FAR: Lone Sails

A side scrolling game where you pilot a machine across an abandoned world. It's very atmospheric and moody and I really enjoyed this game. Keeping your Okomotive running while watching the scenery fly past as you piece together what happened in this world before the game starts. Fantastic.

Gorogoa

A puzzle game. It's hard to really extrapolate on it. It plays around with perspective in a lot of interesting ways and the art is very good.

Fairune Collection

A collection of 2 games in the Fairune series. They're simple zelda-esque games with very basic combat (You fight enemies by running into them) but involves exploration and puzzle solving around the world. I find the games relaxing to play and the second game is actually pretty expansive considering the simple nature of the gameplay. Don't let the graphics dissuade you from this.

planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~

No, this isn't a game about dating or waifus or anything like that. This is a somewhat short kinetic visual novel about a post apocalyptic world covered in rain and a man and an old planetarium robot.

Last edited: