What games to get on the thanksgiving steam sale?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A side scrolling game where you pilot a machine across an abandoned world. It's very atmospheric and moody and I really enjoyed this game. Keeping your Okomotive running while watching the scenery fly past as you piece together what happened in this world before the game starts. Fantastic.
If you like Far then you might want to check this out.

Its another of those where you are traveling through a ruined world, but you do have action parts against weird shadow monsters and there are interesting conversations between your passengers. It also has dlc where instead of taking a train you are driving a car and can only have one passenger and get a full story from them, or kick them out for a new one.

Labyrinth of Refrain
Hmm, this looks kinda cool. Since I replayed Grimrock I have been kinda tempted by another dungeon crawler kinda like this.

Hmm, its not too similar looking but if you like 2d puzzle games then you might want to give this a shot.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hmm, this looks kinda cool. Since I replayed Grimrock I have been kinda tempted by another dungeon crawler kinda like this.
Be aware, Labyrinth of Refrain is very high on the fan service. One of the first things that happen is some Nun (iirc) sexually assault a witch for pretty much no reason (it's played for laugh). It doesn't get much better...

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Be aware, Labyrinth of Refrain is very high on the fan service. One of the first things that happen is some Nun (iirc) sexually assault a witch for pretty much no reason (it's played for laugh). It doesn't get much better...
It is a NIS game, they do like to do that kinda thing.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
It is a NIS game, they do like to do that kinda thing.
No no no no. That scene is not for fanservice and it wasn't for no reason. There's also an important aspect of that scene that you've overlooked that shows how dark the plot of this game is, Dronya throws up in that scene... Stop and think why that was her reaction to someone sexually advancing on her... That scene was not played for a laugh and that nun isn't just some random person either. What you think is going on when you initially start the game is going to be flipped on its head. Nothing and no one is as they seem to be.

As another example of the kind of dark subject matter of this game.

OpBIA1r.jpeg

I'm going to spoil one of the more creepy things just so I can make sure you get the idea here. These Titan Soldiers being piloted by these tiny gnomes? They're people the gnomes have turned into Frankenstein's monster-like creatures.

There is indeed fanservice in this game, but there's also dark plot elements, but there's also humor, but there's also a lot of tragedy, but there's also heartwarming scenes. This game runs the full gamut.

Anyway, I'll give The Final Station a try.

Last edited:

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I picked up Sable and Tetris Effect. Sable is an open world game with no combat, you run around doing quests on a cool airbike thing and basically live out a gap year trying to find yourself and pick a career.

Tetris is Tetris. I'd never pay full price and even 30 bucks after a discount stung, bit it's a legitimately good game. It's old dependable Tetris with beautiful sets, decent music, and an interesting and challenging multiplayer mode where you work with others to defeat "bosses" who have unique abilities to fuck with your team while you play. It's not going to set the world aflame or win a writing award but I missed playing Tetris on my original gameboy and it's nice returning to it on PC.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So far I just grabbed

Its pretty cool, very cyberpunk style and fun combat. Not deep enough in to really make a judgement on the story, but so far its kinda neat.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
FAR: Lone Sails

A side scrolling game where you pilot a machine across an abandoned world. It's very atmospheric and moody and I really enjoyed this game. Keeping your Okomotive running while watching the scenery fly past as you piece together what happened in this world before the game starts. Fantastic.
I really dug the puzzle/quasi-survival in a lonely world journey vibe this game had. It's only a few hours long but that's just long enough for the game to do what it set out to do and not drag out and dilute the experience.

I'm sure you already know this but there's a sequel(?) in the works, due out next year.

Inmost

A dark story focused side scroller. It has a very good mood to it but it's hard to talk about the story without spoiling things. It's a very beautiful and serious story though and I highly recommend it.
I wanted to like this more than I did. Even as someone who digs weird and surreal games(saying a game is like Earthbound is the best way to get my attention, just saying), it felt a little too narratively obtuse for its own good(gameplay wise I have no complaints) and it's a shame.

Good on you if you enjoyed it though.

If you like Far then you might want to check this out.

Its another of those where you are traveling through a ruined world, but you do have action parts against weird shadow monsters and there are interesting conversations between your passengers. It also has dlc where instead of taking a train you are driving a car and can only have one passenger and get a full story from them, or kick them out for a new one.
Like the look of this so grabbed it on sale. Thanks. I also enjoyed Far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I really dug the puzzle/quasi-survival in a lonely world journey vibe this game had. It's only a few hours long but that's just long enough for the game to do what it set out to do and not drag out and dilute the experience.

I'm sure you already know this but there's a sequel(?) in the works, due out next year.

I wanted to like this more than I did. Even as someone who digs weird and surreal games(saying a game is like Earthbound is the best way to get my attention, just saying), it felt a little too narratively obtuse for its own good(gameplay wise I have no complaints) and it's a shame.

Good on you if you enjoyed it though.

Like the look of this so grabbed it on sale. Thanks. I also enjoyed Far.
Yep, I'm looking forward to when Changing Tides releases.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
For once my wallet did not go unscathed.
Hardspace is pretty cool. I need to go back and play more since the new big patch came out.

To throw another one on the list for people to check out.