What games would make great movies?

Cranyx

Mar 6, 2011
Video games and movies have a bad history together. However often times it's because the wrong games are chosen for the transfer.

I'm not asking for what your favorite games are, a good game does not make a good movie. Remember it will have to be solely chosen on the merits of it's story. For instance, Portal is an amazing game, but doesn't have enough narrative structure for a movie (Also I think the fact that the protagonist is silent is a red light, so sadly that knocks out games like Half-Life and Bioshock)

Well what about Mass Effect, it is hugely focused on story, right? I doubt it the fact that it's choice based, the game's story requires too much input from the player, something movies can't do.

So what games do have a strong narrative structure, and active protagonist, and a story where little is dependent on player input, and WOULD make a good movie?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ico

The game already gives the impression that there's a lot of story that's never actually told. Mainly in regards to Yorda, the Queen, and the castle itself.

It wouldn't be a blockbuster sized movie however, more of an intimate film like Let the Right One In.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Street Fighter the Movie the Game the Movie. And then they could make a new game based on it.

kidwithxboxlive

Aug 24, 2010
Even though everyone says it, Mass Effect. It has the story and characters for it to be a really good and fun film to watch. They might have to exclude the alien sex though, shit might go down if thats in it

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Arcanum, with a little tweaking and plot trimming, would make a good LOTR-esque trilogy.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I think either Quake or Quake 2 would be pretty badass movies, especially the first one, I mean, I see it working as a badass Matrix-tier movie
as well as a cheesy Commando-tier movie

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
Cranyx said:
Well what about Mass Effect, it is hugely focused on story, right? I doubt it the fact that it's choice based, the game's story requires too much input from the player, something movies can't do.

So what games do have a strong narrative structure, and active protagonist, and a story where little is dependent on player input, and WOULD make a good movie?
Um, Mass Effect IS being made into a film. As for the player input point, they would just use the 'canon' decisions in ME.

I think Devil May Cry 3 could make a decent movie if it was full CG. It obviously has the flashy style and probably the strongest narrative of the series.

Dopubalimatu

Jun 5, 2011
Max Payne and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. if done right.Max Payne has been done but I honestly think that the movie was godawful and took nothing from the game's story so I don't count that as a movie based on a video game. A movie of S.T.A.K.E.R. is in production but I don't expect much from it considering the trailer that has been released.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Uncharted is already being made into a movie so i dunno.

Something else i would love to see would be a BlazBlue anime.

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
Eternal Darkness; the game literally is about Alex reading the stories of various characters in a highly narrative format before having to face the horrors herself.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Yes, this. It seems a shame to put so much story emphasis into a fighting game and then not have an anime of some sort.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm going to state the obvious here, and say that Alan Wake should be made into a real TV series. Not a film, but still, either way, it would be awesome. But for much the same reasons, I'm also going to say a bit of a shocker - the 2008 reboot/sequel Alone In The Dark. It's got a pretty decent story on the whole that would fit well to a TV miniseries, and it's designed as a game in that same style and format (just as Alan Wake kind of is). The dialogue is pretty cheesy and the characters aren't well developed in the game (though I still love the game itself), but that can easily be rectified with a decent screenwriter. It would actually work really well if you think about it...

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Eduku said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Yes, this. It seems a shame to put so much story emphasis into a fighting game and then not have an anime of some sort.
My thoughts exactly. The story kinda died under the frustration of the battles, plus the story wasn't really well-told, but it was very well-written. I would've loved to see it adapted to something that could actually tell the story properly between the epic battles.

Episode42

Nov 28, 2010
I've said it before, but Primal would be a good film. The game is pretty much linear enough to make a simple film from and no-one knows or cares about it enough to be concerned if it turns into a huge pile of terrible.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Mass Effect,Dragon Age Origins(Warden mini episodes were awesome).Animated or CGI would be awesome.

Also agree with GiantRaven on Arcanum as well.