What gaming laptop should i choose?

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
So i've never really had a strong pc. Heck my PC can barely run Minecraft. So i thought to myself i thought "Get a gaming laptop". So i'm gonna. Now it has to be a gaming laptop, i can't have a stationary pc. I know that laptop's aren't the best for gaming, but i dont need it to be especially strong, just that it can play the games of today and yesterday (not necessarily on best settings). The price tag should max be about 2000 dollars.

BTW don't go saying different graphic cards n' stuff, cause i am clueless about PC's (hardware that is).

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Dr Jones said:
So i've never really had a strong pc. Heck my PC can barely run Minecraft. So i thought to myself i thought "Get a gaming laptop". So i'm gonna. Now it has to be a gaming laptop, i can't have a stationary pc. I know that laptop's aren't the best for gaming, but i dont need it to be especially strong, just that it can play the games of today and yesterday (not necessarily on best settings). The price tag should max be about 2000 dollars.

BTW don't go saying different graphic cards n' stuff, cause i am clueless about PC's (hardware that is).
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-reviews/?filter=1101502_13087974_#filter=1101502_13087974&maxPrice=2016&rpp=10

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
Arluza said:
if you have $2000 for a laptop, why not get an $800-$1000 desktop?
Stationary? Because for me a laptop would just be so much more practical. Not pricewise nor gamingwise of course, but still, generally, at this moment for me a laptop would have more pros than a desktop. Even if it's double as expensive.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
No offense, OP, but if you want a good gaming computer of any type, it pays to educate yourself on what the various components can do, and what is a good bang for the buck. Most serious gaming laptops allow for some customization, so even with a pre-built model you're going to need some basic hardware knowledge. This doesn't mean you have to be constantly up to date on what the best parts on the market are -- I'm certainly not right now -- but it does mean to do your research before you make a big purchase. For example, because I did my research when I bought the laptop I'm typing on right now, I have a basic gaming capable PC. Had I not done that, I could have easily been pressured into buying something with an Intel graphics card, and would have been out in the cold for gaming. While it's less of an issue when you're willing to drop $2000, since anything in that range should be useable, learning what to look for will help you get the best bang for your buck. It's just part of being a PC gamer; as a PC gamer, you are equivalent to the guys who race their cars, not to a grandma who just needs to get to church. You wouldn't race in an un-modded Civic, would you?

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
Toshiba models work. I am a game programing major and have two room mates who have Toshiba laptops. great speakers, plays well enough, etc. all you could need. all prebuilt.

HOWEVER, if you are gaming, the battery will only last an hour. if you are browsing online the battery will last longer.

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
No offense, OP, but if you want a good gaming computer of any type, it pays to educate yourself on what the various components can do, and what is a good bang for the buck. Most serious gaming laptops allow for some customization, so even with a pre-built model you're going to need some basic hardware knowledge. This doesn't mean you have to be constantly up to date on what the best parts on the market are -- I'm certainly not right now -- but it does mean to do your research before you make a big purchase. For example, because I did my research when I bought the laptop I'm typing on right now, I have a basic gaming capable PC. Had I not done that, I could have easily been pressured into buying something with an Intel graphics card, and would have been out in the cold for gaming. While it's less of an issue when you're willing to drop $2000, since anything in that range should be useable, learning what to look for will help you get the best bang for your buck. It's just part of being a PC gamer; as a PC gamer, you are equivalent to the guys who race their cars, not to a grandma who just needs to get to church. You wouldn't race in an un-modded Civic, would you?
Well now, i ain't gonna be too focused on gaming with this. If i didn't know anything about racing, but i wanted a racing car, i'd ask the racers, just like i'm asking the pc gamers here.

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
Arluza said:
HOWEVER, if you are gaming, the battery will only last an hour. if you are browsing online the battery will last longer.
Well that's not alot :(

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Just an FYI, but gaming laptops are SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than regular laptops. I know they sound way more portable, but you might just end up leaving it parked on your desk regardless.

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
Elamdri said:
Just an FYI, but gaming laptops are SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than regular laptops. I know they sound way more portable, but you might just end up leaving it parked on your desk regardless.
Well, the reason why it has to be a laptop is for the convinience. So i can whip it out for school, work and stuff. I'm not gonna game in a train or something, the reason why it has to be a gaming pc is because i thought "since i'm gonna get a laptop, why not make it play some games?"

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Dr Jones said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Well now, i ain't gonna be too focused on gaming with this. If i didn't know anything about racing, but i wanted a racing car, i'd ask the racers, just like i'm asking the pc gamers here.
Well in that case, you probably don't want to drop the full $2000; if you just want some occasional gaming on the side, a gaming laptop is overkill. I'd look more for something in the entertainment class; they're cheaper, and if you pick the right one, still game-able. Mine, for example, was a $700 model at launch which I picked up for around $400 on sale. It has an onboard graphics card, but those have gotten significantly better in recent years; I've had it for over a year, and there's still the occasional game being released that I can play, and by that I mean play well. I'd say to aim closer to $1000 than $2000 on this.

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Dr Jones said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Well in that case, you probably don't want to drop the full $2000; if you just want some occasional gaming on the side, a gaming laptop is overkill. I'd look more for something in the entertainment class; they're cheaper, and if you pick the right one, still game-able. Mine, for example, was a $700 model at launch which I picked up for around $400 on sale. It has an onboard graphics card, but those have gotten significantly better in recent years; I've had it for over a year, and there's still the occasional game being released that I can play, and by that I mean play well. I'd say to aim closer to $1000 than $2000 on this.
Great! Remember it doesen't have to play future games. Newest games i'm gonna get are likely only Civ 5 and Shogun 2. Otherwise i'll be playing more classic games. (well, whatever Steam has on sale)

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Depends if you want a 15" or 17" screen.

Get
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8150s1-built-clevo-p150hm-custom-gaming-sager-notebook-p-2981.html?wconfigure=yes
That for a 15.6" screen.

If you're going for a 17" I'd really recommend throwing down and extra 100$ and using your own operating system to get this

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7280-clevo-x7200-p-2881.html?wconfigure=yes

It only comes with one graphics card, but has the proper chipset to install dual GTX 485M's which are currently the highest rated mobile graphics card on most benchmarking websites.

Xoticpc is one of the numerous Sager resellers, but it's the one I've bought all my laptops through so I'd highly recommend them. They have the best customer service and warranty programs around. They'll talk you through upgrading your machine if you want to, or you can mail it to them with the parts and they'll put them in for you.

If you're not interested in amazing performance, or maxing out future games like Skyrim, then I'd recommend whatever Gateways latest 17" gaming model is. They've had some pretty good sub 1000-1200$ gaming notebooks in the past few years.

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
Toshiba do some good 'gaming' laptops. I have a Toshiba Satellite A660 1DW, and it runs most of the games I want it to, and works perfectly well for everything else I use it for (Word, Excel, Photoshop, Ableton Live etc.)
I recommend Toshiba highly.

Dr Jones

Jun 23, 2010
ConnorCool said:
Toshiba do some good 'gaming' laptops. I have a Toshiba Satellite A660 1DW, and it runs most of the games I want it to, and works perfectly well for everything else I use it for (Word, Excel, Photoshop, Ableton Live etc.)
I recommend Toshiba highly.
Any specific model? Which do you use?