What grade were you in when you were 13?

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, what grade were/are you in when/if you were/are 13? I heard alot of kids are usually in 7th or 8th, a few even being high school freshmen. I actually turned 13 in 6th grade. If I hadn't been held back a year, I would've turned 13 in 7th.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Fuck man, I don't even remember. 7th probably?

I remember things based on where I lived at the time more often. I've moved around a lot.

You were in 6th? When's your birthday, and honest question... how bored are you that you wanted to ask this? XD

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
T0ad 0f Truth said:

I remember things based on where I lived at the time more often. I've moved around a lot.

You were in 6th? When's your birthday, and honest question... how bored are you that you wanted to ask this? XD
November 4th, 1996, I was held back in 2nd grade. And for your other question, it's just something I wanted to ask for fun.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
TheMisterManGuy said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:

November 4th, 1996, I was held back in 2nd grade. And for your other question, it's just something I wanted to ask for fun.
Just for fun eh? Well it needs more gifs... and maybe a stripper cake. Live a little Mister Manguy! :D

And I'm in March, so I guess you were probably the older one in your class? I was always the youngest.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
9th grade I think, possibly 8th. It's been a long ass time and my mind is tends to forget unimportant shite.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I was in Year 8 when I turned 13. For a month I was 13 in Year 9 but, September babies FTW.

IIRC, Year 8 is basically Grade 7.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I was in grade 7 when I was 13.

Actually, I wanted to ask a question. Here in Sweden, we start 1st grade when we are 7 and have 3 years of secondary school. But in the US, (from what I've gathered) you start 1st grade when you're 6 and have 4 years of high school. Is that correct for the whole country or does it depend on the state?

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
Twintix said:

Actually, I wanted to ask a question. Here in Sweden, we start 1st grade when we are 7 and have 3 years of secondary school. But in the US, (from what I've gathered) you start 1st grade when you're 6 and have 4 years of high school. Is that correct for the whole country or does it depend on the state?
For the most part, yes. Our school ages in the US are

Elementary
K: 5-6
1st: 6-7
2nd: 7-8
3rd: 8-9
4th: 9-10
5th: 10-11
6th: 11-12

Middle school/Jr. High
7th: 12-13
8th: 13-14

High School
9th/Freshmen: 14-15
10th/Sophmore: 15-16
11th/Junior: 16-17
12th/Senior: 17-18

At least that's how it is for my District. The ages and grades may vary in a few states, but for the most part, these are the norm.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Year 8 for the first two days of being 13, then Year 9 for the rest of it. That doesn't mean much though, here in England your year is based on your birth date alone. Ours tend to be a little higher than most other countries since we start school earlier here, something I don't think is beneficial for kids in the long run but there you go, I started school when I was 4.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
here in Quebec, (because in the rest of canada it's not the same apparently) it work like this

Kindergarden
you have to be 5 years old at september 30th to start. but the class start at the end of august. So, if you are born like me at the end of september (i'm born on september 27) you actually start at 4 and turn 5 after the class start. if you are born on october, you have to wait a whole year to start school. on of my friend is born on october 4th 1978, and i'm born on september 27th 1979, so we start school at the same time.

so when i turn 13, i was in secondary 2, he was in secondary 1

primary
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

secondary
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

then you have the higher education that goes

CEGEP pre university 1 - 2
University BAC 1 - 2 - 3
then 2 more year for a master and two more for a doc.

or

CEGEP Tech (we you actually study for a career in something. like a nurse, a computer tech, a social worker, dental hygienist, etc)
1 - 2 - 3

or

A professional school (usually more handy work, so hair styler, mecanic, appliance repair, plumber, etc... ). It also the only higher education level that doesnt require a secondary 5, you can start after secondary 4

1 - 2

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Pretty sure I was in 8th grade. Didn't get into high school until I was 14 already. Never skipped a grade and never held back, but I do have a late November birthday.

I've had some form of schooling since I was just over 1 year old. I remember nothing about the really early stuff, but I imagine it was mostly speech therapy kinds of stuff considering there were concerns I wouldn't be able to speak all that well. Then Catholic preschool (which feels silly to me since my family was never Catholic), then regular old public schooling.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Grade 10. I went to K-8 private school, but they were ahead of the district so I skipped grade 9, and I graduated from their 8th grade a year earlier than everyone else because I did Summer classes.

I'd finished all of the HS level math requirements very early, so that same year I also enrolled in a math Associate's at the community college. So technically, at 13 I was already in college :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I was in Year 9 when I was 13. This is under UK education structure.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I was in 6th grade when I turned 13, I was nearly 14 when I went into 7th.

There are two reasons for this. The first is I was born on September 30 so I missed the cut off for Kindergarten when I was 5. The other was because my appendix got all infected when I was starting 3rd grade, and I missed two thirds of that year and got sent back to 2nd grade for the rest, resulting in me having to start 3rd grade from scratch the next year.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
7th and 8th. My 13th birthday was during the 7th grade, and I was still 13 when I went into 8th.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
TheMisterManGuy said:
Twintix said:

For the most part, yes. Our school ages in the US are

Elementary
K: 5-6
1st: 6-7
2nd: 7-8
3rd: 8-9
4th: 9-10
5th: 10-11
6th: 11-12

Middle school/Jr. High
7th: 12-13
8th: 13-14

High School
9th/Freshmen: 14-15
10th/Sophmore: 15-16
11th/Junior: 16-17
12th/Senior: 17-18

At least that's how it is for my District. The ages and grades may vary in a few states, but for the most part, these are the norm.
I'd like to know more specifically, but here in Michigan, to my knowledge, the norm is the same except that middle school is 6th-8th, not 7th-8th. It seems like "Jr High" tends to be the latter, and "middle school" the former, but I may be wrong.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
9th grade. And if I hadn't voluntarily done 5th grade twice, I would have been in 10th. The only reason I agreed to stay back for a year was because I was a lot smaller than my classmates and was bullied relentlessly for it. Repeating 5th grade gave me a chance to catch up physically to my classmates.

Then I grew to 6' when I was 12. Problem solved.