What have people got against exclusivity?

pulse2

May 10, 2008
It has personally never really bothered me that much. Yeah, there are moments where I wish I could play a game or two on another platform, but never so much so that it has made me hate exclusives all together.

I suppose there are two ways to look at this, the gamers approach and the business approach, from a gamers point of view, it can be restrictive as well as annoying if you only own a selected console, but at the same time I feel that once you go with a particular platform, you already know the sort of games you will want to get. If I wanted to play games like Star Fox, Super Smash Bros and Zelda, Nintendo would be my console of choice, for games like Uncharted, Resistance and Heavy Rain, PS3 is my console of choice, for Halo, Gears and Forza, Xbox is my console of choice and for high end graphics and mods etc, PC is my gaming platform of choice, so there is something for everyone. I would probably find it boring if all the consoles had the same games, I'd probably end up buy consoles for the wrong reasons, less about games (the key feature) and more about Facebook integration, DVD playback and other things which would be a shame as comparing the consoles purely on the fact that one might have facebook and the other doesn't sounds a bit lame. We buy our selected consoles for the games and the way in which our preferred console handles those individual games, either graphically, multiplayer etc, but regardless, its about the games.

From a business standpoint, it may seem like a developer will get less money by going exclusive, but that isn't always the case, in fact, sometimes going exclusive makes more profit for the developer then going multiplat depending on the developer. Obviously a decision to make GTA5 for example an exclusive would be a stupid idea, but for a small developer it may be beneficial if the console developer offers all the right incentives, a payment, cost cutting, developmental help AND advertising that they would not get or would have to do all themselves if they went multiplat. Take Heavenly Sword for example which performed better as an exclusive then Enslaved did as a multiplat. Exclusivity has not broken Halo for example, yeah it probably would have sold more in an ideal world where it wasn't an exclusive ip to Microsoft, but then it would have cost more to make and would also be crippled due to the fact it has to perform the same on all consoles.

So I ask you this escapists, is exclusivity all that bad? In what cases do you think it is a stupid decision and what benefits do you think all games and dlc (in an ideal world) being multiplat would have?

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
Exclusivity isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not everyone has the money to pay for every console under the sun.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
It's a very smart decision, from a business standpoint. While I don't necessarily disagree with exclusivity, what if I want to play Fable AND Uncharted, without having to fork out for 2 consoles.

It's not as easy as "If you want these types of games, get this console, if not, get the other". PS3 and Xbox exclusives often are of similar type.

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
You already answered the question in your post. I dislike exclusivity because I have an ever growing list of games I will play when I can afford a console.
If all games were available on all platforms, then this problem would not exist, and I would be happier for it.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
The only time they bug me is when it's part of a series, like the last Tales rpg was xbox exclusive, the ones before that PS2, and before that Gamecube. Right now it's stopping me from buying Mass Effect 2, because I have a PS3, so I can't play part one.

weker

May 27, 2009
Because it means I cant play good games and it means other people cant play good games, and less people get to experience artistic games like flower and journey. this all = i hate sony

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I never really thought about it to much I bought a system and simply bought games for it never tended to pay to much attention to games on other system all that much

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Well if you take exclusivity with a pinch of salt, there are plenty of things we can't have available in one place or on one device, but if that has never posed a problem, why then should a few games on another console cause a problem? I'm fully aware that by not having an iPhone I may be missing out on selected Apps I'd like, but it hasn't made me want to shell out on an iTouch for those apps.

Even as a child I grew up with one console or another from each generation, so I got used to not having all the games I'd like to play because my parents didn't see the relevance in my having more than one console just for games on the other consoles. To this day I have my own money and yet still I have to find a DAMN good reason to shell out on a new console for a few games I'd like to play. Missing out on a few is a shame, but there are plenty of things I've missed out on, so it's not really something that will suddenly dawn on me any time soon because I already know there is. Even if I was rich I would still wouldn't buy and keep consoles just for the sake of having games I don't already have.

Sadly I sold my 360 and I realise that this will mean I miss out on Gears and Halo 4, but its something I'm okay with. If there was substantial reason for me to change my mind and re-purchase a 360 then I would have already done so the moment I heard of the existence of these two games. I'm satisfied with the fact I own a PC and PS3 and I'm glad I get the opportunity to play Uncharted 3 for example, so at least there IS something to look forward to.

Geo88

Nerdy Wordsmith
Jul 20, 2010
I don't hate exclusive titles, but sometimes I'm disappointed (like many other gamers). I own a gaming PC and an Xbox 360. I would kill to play the new SOCOM, but I'm not shelling out that much money for one game. I don't really get the rage behind other exclusive titles, though. Maybe it's because people don't want to admit that they're not thoroughly happy with the console they got? Or simple jealousy/insecurity that their console didn't get something that another one did.

I would hope people are more mature than that, but I don't see any other obvious reasons.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I just don't see the point of it. People get bent the fuck out of shape when a console "loses" an exclusive, but really, who cares? If Halo went to PS3 or Gears went to Xbox, what are you really losing? Nothing. There's no reason to care.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
You poor poor people should stop whining and be content with the games in your console of choice haves, let us "MULTI PLATFORM MASTER RACE" rejoice on not having to care about where the game is coming from MUAHAHAHA! /sarcasm

in all seriousness, i actually like exclusives, just imagine "Zelda" or "Mario" going to the PS or the XBOX, you cant, simply because its a Nintendo game, and if it was ported it would loose a LOT of what being a Nintendo game means.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
I'm starting to see exclusivity as a culture, in the same way that playing a Japanese PS3 and its games offers a vastly different experience to playing a US PS3 and its games. Japan has exclusives of its own for both and all consoles that may never ever see the light of day over here in the western world. Are there games I want to play? Yes! Am I willing to move to Japan or shell out on region specific consoles to play those games? No, not particularly (other than the fact I would like to spend some time in Japan, not for games, but for cultural experience).

I'd personally find it boring if all the games I bought my PS3 for were available on all the other consoles and there was nothing exclusive, there would have to be a damn good reason for me to keep my PS3, but seeing as I bought it for games, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to keep it. Might as well buy a gaming PC for the best graphics if that's the case.

I understand that it brings out the fanboys, but really, you'll get that with EVERYTHING, Apple and touchscreen fanboys will always try to mock my blackberry for not having touchscreen, people in other countries will try to mock me for being british, people will mock me for not having a 3DTV, people will mock me for not having a Mercedes C-Class as opposed to my car, but if we let fanboys be the biggest reason for us hating exclusives, then we ourselves need to think about our lives, fanboys shouldn't be getting to you, fanboys are everywhere.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Mr Shrike said:
Exclusivity isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not everyone has the money to pay for every console under the sun.
/thread, as far as I'm concerned. Look, if I really want to play a game, I can set aside 60 euro in a month for a game. Setting aside enough money for a console that costs as much as my monthly rent + 60 euro is just not going to fucking happen. I don't get how this is not clear to anybody.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
pulse2 said:
So I ask you this escapists, is exclusivity all that bad? In what cases do you think it is a stupid decision and what benefits do you think all games and dlc (in an ideal world) being multiplat would have?
Heavenly Sword was also one of the few ps3 launch titles and vaguely reminded people of gow.
Personally I don?t understand how any gamer can appreciate exclusives when ?exclusivity? does absolutely nothing for the consumer unless said consumer is some really obnoxious fanboy who loves shadenfreude more than the actual games. All it does is create this absurd system wherein the consumer might have to purchase a few different consoles to play the games they want to play.
It?s amazing people put up with it.
Can you imagine what would?ve happened if dvd players only played dvds from certain studios? We would still be watching vhs tapes. And e readers would?ve never caught on if some publishers only published on one companies readers.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
I played Indigo Prophecy on my Xbox and was looking foreword to Heavy Rain...then it turned out that Heavy Rain was PS3 exclusive. I wasn't expecting that, and that was a real bummer. But it is what it is. As a Mac owner, I have long ago reconciled myself to not being able to play everything out there.

So while it is a bummer sometimes, I get over it. I don't have anything *against* exclusivity. I don't quite see the point of railing against something I have no control over.

That said, I also don't have anything *for* exclusivity either. I have seen people argue that it devalues their console if their exclusive becomes non-exclusive...as if it were a personal insult to them that PS3 gamers can now play Mass Effect. I think Mass Effect is awesome, and I think it is great that PS3 gamers can experience that awesome game.

I don't need my console to have games that others don't have in order to feel good about my console. I pick my console based on which games I can play with it, rather than on which games I can play on it that other people can't.

Would it be awesome if all games were multi-platform? Sure.
But it may not be economically feasible for all developers to do that. It may make more sense for a small developer to take a huge infusion of cash in order to make their game the best it can be...which then means the game ends up being exclusive.

Exclusivity is a choice the game developers make. I trust they make those choices based on what they need to do in order to keep making games. So I don't begrudge them their choices.