What have you been playing lately?

te2rx [deprecated]

Jul 19, 2006
We had a nice thread earlier called "What are you playing this weekend?"... unfortuately that topic expired several weekends ago.
Instead let's use this on-going thread to blab about any game we've been playing lately.
I'd start, but I haven't really played anything since Prey [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.470.52543].

edit -- it'd be nice if you could actually talk about your experience with the game(s), and not just list the name.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
ESPN MLB 2k4. I'm 95-53 with the Yankees. I clinched the playoffs about 10 games ago, but that was last year. It's taken me about seven games to be able to track pitches to hit with any regularity. For a point of reference, on the hard setting, I've had David Ortiz (I did a draft) batting .425 all season - he has 100 home runs and 226 RBIs right now. In the past week, his average has dropped to .412. So yeah, I'm definitely behind there.

The good news is, though, I've finally figured out how to strike out AI batters, all of whom seem to have the plate range of Vladimir Guerrero. In my current save game, I'm in the bottom of the sixth, tied 1-1. I've been hitting Wakefield hard all day; only a matter of time before I belt a homerun to win my first game all week.

Oh, and I keep nagging myself that I need to finish Bloodlines. Instead, last night I wrote up a Hunter campaign.

infernomatic

Jul 12, 2006
This may sound lame?, but I've been playing the heck out of Pokemon XD. Trying to get my Lugia to lvl. 100. I'm big into the strategy aspect of Pokemon. EV and IV training and all that... it gets pretty in-depth and complex. Alot of people think that Pokemon is just some kids game, a Saturday morning cartoon or a fad that passed a few years back... Man, are they wrong.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
infernomatic, I'd give you a harder time if I hadn't just admitted to playing the same game 148 times.

Oh god, I need a hobby.

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
I've been steadily working my way through Yoshi's Island (GBA version, not SNES), but I can only take so much of Baby Mario's wailing before I have to turn off the game. Stupid baby screaming. I think we should distribute Yoshi's Island at Planned Parenthoods; it's certainly a strong argument in favor of birth control.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
I'm playing Titan Quest until Sword of the Stars comes out. I also reactived Star Wars Galaxies.

falselogic

Jul 18, 2006
I'm attempting to go through all the Final Fantasy's I haven't beaten yet. I'm currently near the end of Final Fantasy 4. The only problem with this is the ridiculous and painful amount of grinding that is required.

Despite this I'm looking forward to the 5th installment

te2rx [deprecated]

Jul 19, 2006
^^ yeah, those Japanese console RPGs... I wait to play them until the system they've been released on is emulated, so I can fast-forward through all that levelling :p

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Dragon Quest 8 is back in the PS2 - hopefully I'll finish it now. Also playing WoW a little here and there. A little Karaoke DDR Party, too. And my current 15-minute-during-the-day-break is Web Sudoku. I know. I can't help it.

svallee

Jul 17, 2006
Mostly Space Rangers 2, a little bit of Oblivion, and on portable consoles a mix of Daxter (PSP) and New Super Mario Bros (DS).

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Not much, oddly. Minesweeper and TriPeaks in between Internet use. Trying to not lose in the first month in X-Com: UFO Defense (once I got to month 3!). Messing around with Electroplankton.

Figure I'm overdue for a second time through Zelda: Majora's Mask, but my N64 is all packed up and I lent away my Zelda collector's edition disc. Sadly, this also prevents me from getting any further in Ogre Battle 64.

On tonight's menu, though, is Galactic Civilizations II.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Replaying Max Payne 2 for like the fifth time. I also reinstalled Carmageddon 2 just for the heck of it. Every so often I'll fire up Hard Truck Apocalypse. I think I've burned out forever on Oblivion.

triumph

Jul 16, 2006
For the last few days I have been trying out (and getting a bit frustrated) with the WWII sim Red Orchestra via Steams RO: Free Weekend event. RO does many things well such as a stamina system that makes sense, good map design, awesome sound, and nice teamwork features but the little things like the slow ironsights switching, movement issues, weapon deployment, and reloading issues are so frustrating because the game lacks some of that fluidic intuitiveness that a person playing as a battle hardened solider should have. Having played Call of Duty 2, Day of Defeat Source, and now Red Orchestra I feel that DoD is the best way to go for some FPS fun.

So te2rx, is the above what you are looking for? :)

With all this talk of X-Com I want X-com again!!

svallee

Jul 17, 2006
thewanderer14 said:
X-Com on my DosBox. I never get tired of hunting Greys, cursing Mutons, or wondering what the heck those purple blobby things do. After 230 hours of Oblivion I needed a break. I'm thinking of picking up Chrome Hounds, but that crash rumor is really worrying me.
Oh yeah! X-COM forever! What I don't understand, is that a company, somewhere, owns the rights for the X-COM franchise, and they're doing nothing with it. A game exactly like the first (not trying to fix what already work), but with an updated moderne engine... the dream.

dosboot

Jul 14, 2006
I'm playing "Imperishable Night", a japanese import PC game. It is a bullet barrage shmup, basically a shooter with a large emphasis on dodging bullets in complex patterns. This is my first time playing one of these things before but I am taking quite a shine to it. Never would have known about it if I hadn't seen some of the videos on YouTube.