What have you learned today?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If you are going to put NBC (or CBRN or whatever the kids are calling it these days), you may as well put air-con in there as well. I think they also have water coolers as well.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So apparently British Army Tanks have something called a boiling vessel inside that allows them to heat up water. While this is normally to allow them to have hot food and drink out in the field, apparently it's most often used to make....you guessed it, Hot Tea.

And that is the most stereotypically British thing I can imagine. Sitting in a Tank sipping on a cup of tea.
I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with water cooled machine guns in World War 1

But... why? An aircon in a fucking armored vehicle sounds hella reasonable.
Well, and this is conjecture based on small reading, most of the shit we took to Afghanistan was designed for a theoretical escalation of hostilities in Europe with an eventual march to Russia, which is full of fields and forests and most important, gets fucking cold and summers are comparatively temperate; a LAV-25 in a Belgian summer in the 1980s would be uncomfortable to be sure, but it wouldn't be dangerous. However, Australia is a hot and dry country and since our poor diggers have to train with these fuckers all the time, and I think the proving ground was in the Northern Territory which is just, disgustingly hot AND humid basically all the time, the Department of Defence probably figured an A/C unit was less money than inevitable bad press, lawsuits and parliamentary butt fucking from soldiers dying from heat stroke in these things.

So when we took ours to Afghanistan in 2001, all the climate proofing we'd done to them to make them usable in the training environment made them better suited to working in a desert.

If you are going to put NBC (or CBRN or whatever the kids are calling it these days), you may as well put air-con in there as well. I think they also have water coolers as well.
They do, but I think that also serves the practical purpose of being the mission water supply: some of these things are designed to allow their crew to operate for like, four days without returning to base for resupply.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
They do, but I think that also serves the practical purpose of being the mission water supply: some of these things are designed to allow their crew to operate for like, four days without returning to base for resupply.
Oh sure, but I meant more that it's not just a water supply, they cool it as well. But yeah, deserts and jungles and the like make that useful. IIRC, there was a highly publicised negligent discharge during a training accident some years back because it was hot and someone different follow weapon discipline before getting at the water.

By contrast, in the 70s and 80s I believe the British tankers had all sorts of issues with keep the crew warm.

XsjadoBlaydette

Uploading Malignancy
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Heard of this case before, but was a bit confused by it and never saw the interrogation footage till now. Especially when the police already had found on her phone footage she recorded of her particular type of chilling crime, and are questioning her as if they know nothing, letting her build a massive wall of obvious lies. Big warning they show that footage around the 1 hour mark and I'd recommend skipping as it's downright chilling: while not graphic, it is her drunkenly mocking the person who is literally trapped and calling for help who would be found deceased there later. The narrator provides clear ample warning beforehand too so it's not out of nowhere. She is a monster, who had no idea she'd already provided the police the exact undeniable evidence of her being a monster before her commited performance for their questioning.

Also, she used the "they're against me cos I'm white" excuse at some point, which by now is the biggest red flag for some dodgy shit being deflected away from.