Action Park was quintessential '80s New Jersey. An absolute lack of giving a shit from the state government so long as the bribes came in.Just watched a documentary called Class Action Park. Thought I knew about most stuff regarding Action Park, but I do recall hearing one new thing. Spoilered/blurred because this is a bit graphic.
If people are familiar with Action Park, they most likely know about the infamous looping waterslide. What you may not be familiar with is the fact that it was tested before being opened to the public. They had a few people go through, came out bloody, so they padded the loop. Then, they noticed with the next group that people were coming out with lacerations. When examining the slide, they found out why. Those people getting banged around? Their teeth got knocked out with enough force to get embedded in the slide. Those teeth were slicing up the next group of people.
You too, huh? It's weird that I never really saw a huge amount of stuff about it until a week ago. Guess it was just that time of year for it. Crazy to see...Been watching a good amount of 9/11 stuff the past week. Never really had much more than a casual curiosity about it all these years later, but a new National Geographic documentary really struck me on the immense personal toll it took.
I got curious after watching that one after you posted it here, and there's the 1st episode of this series uploaded as well.
AFAIK tuberculosis is so rare in the UK now they don't even vaccinate for it. So that's the 'punch the injection site' game we used to love all finished.
It sounds like a medical company is trying to do some real good by offering their tuberculosis tests at cost in poor countries. They dropped it from 10 bucks a test to 7 bucks a test and they say that as manufacturing gets cheaper they will continue to cut the price in those poor countries.
It might seem like a cop out to say "poor countries only" but this is a pretty big deal for those countries and way less so for people in wealthier places. TB is a long term wasting illness that will probably eventually kill you, but isn't that easy to immediately identify because a lot of symptoms could read as other illnesses that go away on their own. It needs months of antibiotics to address and the earlier they catch it the higher the survival rate gets. In places where antibiotics are scarce or expensive, these tests will help reduce waste and get people treatment sooner.
I've heard that as well, and I had it explained slightly differently. In the second scenario, you are trying to assign a binary value (rain or no rain) as a probability for something as large as an area the size of a station's broadcast reach. It either rains on the whole area (30% chance) or it doesn't (70%.) The first scenario allows for specific points within the broadcast area to be either affected or not, and the percentage chance is an indicator of whether someone within the area will be impacted or won't be.Ok, I'm not sure if I've actually learned something or not, but apparently when local weather people say there's a "30% chance of rain," it means there's a 100% chance that 30% of their viewership will get rain, not that there's a 30% chance for 100% of their viewership. A local weather person felt the need to make that distinction, but in my head, it rings as "six in one hand, half a dozen in the other."
As if these waters weren't muddied enough!I've heard that as well, and I had it explained slightly differently. In the second scenario, you are trying to assign a binary value (rain or no rain) as a probability for something as large as an area the size of a station's broadcast reach. It either rains on the whole area (30% chance) or it doesn't (70%.) The first scenario allows for specific points within the broadcast area to be either affected or not, and the percentage chance is an indicator of whether someone within the area will be impacted or won't be.
Also I had it explained that it is never 100%, but rather within a margin of error. Meaning it would be more like a 98% chance that 30% will get rain. As someone who relays weather forecasts for broadcast (and also unfortunately as someone who has to answer phone calls to a news room) I get asked about forecasts a lot. You would not believe how many times I get the call asking...
"It's raining right now, but you just said it is a 60% chance. You're wrong, it is a 100% chance. You need to correct your forecast."
You also wouldn't believe how many times that happens, and it ISN'T raining at the studio where I'm broadcasting from. Making the question seem even more absurd. The explanation your local guy gave is the right one. But a better way to visualize it (as I've had to explain it many times) is think of the % chance not as an indicator of the probability of seeing a storm (which to be fair is exactly what it sounds like,) but rather as an indicator of what a storm's physical size might be as it passes an affected area. The larger the % chance; the bigger the area of green, yellow, and red will be on the radar image.
Tip for ppl awaiting court for murder and framing (with fentanyl-poisoned gummy overdose) of your husband: don't write coercive letters clearly directing your family to lie for you as part of your baseless narrative under oath, and especially dont get caught in your jail cell with it. Kind regards, your exasperated defense lawyer.
The "it's for a book I'm writing" excuse never gets old. Wealthy American Mormons be criming in distinctive flavours.Update: Kouri Richins'
According to court records obtained by the DOCket on youtube, Kouri stated that the letters she wrote, telling her mother to persuade her brother to give false testimony was actually a portion of a book that she has been writing in prison.
The following was taken from this article
"When I first got in here I was telling you how I was writing a book... those papers were not a letter to you guys, they were part of my freaking book... I was writing this fictional mystery book... I go to Mexico and I'm like trying to find these drugs... I'm writing about Dad... like me and Dad went to Mexico to find these drugs... you can very much tell that the whole thing is very much a story... then I get in the Mexican prison... and I have Skye sneak me in some white strips because my teeth are getting yellow because all we do is drink coffee in the Mexican prison."
Which... you know... makes a lot of sense. That's a very reasonable and obvious thing. I mean, sure, she said her husband's name, claimed he was a drug addict and fabricated an event for her brother to tell her lawyer about in order to make her look innocent, and sure she told her mother to sneak her in contraband using her lawyer. And also changed none of the names of the people in her real life.
But we probably just don't get how her creative mind works. I am willing to bet that Kouri is going to down swinging in this case, and by that I mean she will likely try to take the stand in her own defense, and lie her way through the trial.
You sometimes forget that Pete Townshend managed to get himself on the sex offenders register don't you. I'm not even saying he's guilty, it's just such a weird thing he did. Leave investigations of child abuse to the authorities? Not on your Nellie! I wrote the theme tune to CSI!The "it's for a book I'm writing" excuse never gets old. Wealthy American Mormons be criming in distinctive flavours.