What if 9/11 happened in another country?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
I doubt america would give a crap, as a country they are more self obsorbed and dont have much interest in any thing outside their borders. For instance, WW2, didnt give a crap and happily made money off both sides until Japan attacked them. But also 9/11 was a big deal for them because they never get attacked due to how far they are from most countries. Where as the UK, for instance, have had terror attacks from IRA and our own Al Queda bombings and also we had the blitz in WW2 same as most of Europe did. So i think overal, as sad as terror attacks are, for most countries, weve had worse and thats something we can look back on for strength. America never had that, they dont know how to deal with these situations. And, in all honesty, dealt with it badly.
And yet, they are still the number one super-power.
I agree, they are, but for how long? America is in major debt and crippled economy. China rich and is catching up fast and so is Russia once more. An they are two countries i dont think America will fight. The Uk was a world superpower before America, and we lost that title after being made bankrupt due to fighting WW2.
The major debt and crippled economy probably won't even bother America's status in all truth.
Oh it will. First thing that will be cut is the military budget. Maybe shut down bases in Europe and other countries. You would still have a huge army in your own country and still a power to be reckoned with. But you would have less of a foot print in the rest of the world. With a crippled economy i doubt America would still plough billions into the armed forces.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
I doubt america would give a crap, as a country they are more self obsorbed and dont have much interest in any thing outside their borders. For instance, WW2, didnt give a crap and happily made money off both sides until Japan attacked them. But also 9/11 was a big deal for them because they never get attacked due to how far they are from most countries. Where as the UK, for instance, have had terror attacks from IRA and our own Al Queda bombings and also we had the blitz in WW2 same as most of Europe did. So i think overal, as sad as terror attacks are, for most countries, weve had worse and thats something we can look back on for strength. America never had that, they dont know how to deal with these situations. And, in all honesty, dealt with it badly.
I agree, they are, but for how long? America is in major debt and crippled economy. China rich and is catching up fast and so is Russia once more. An they are two countries i dont think America will fight. The Uk was a world superpower before America, and we lost that title after being made bankrupt due to fighting WW2.
The major debt and crippled economy probably won't even bother America's status in all truth.
Oh it will. First thing that will be cut is the military budget. Maybe shut down bases in Europe and other countries. You would still have a huge army in your own country and still a power to be reckoned with. But you would have less of a foot print in the rest of the world. With a crippled economy i doubt America would still plough billions into the armed forces.
Sorry but that won't happen, we've been in the same situation for about 20 years, we just constantly deny it.

No, it would require something more than just economy and debt because that's nothing new.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Hamish Durie said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
I know other countries wouldnt start a war over it. But then most countries dont have the manpower/fire power as America has. Maybe Europe would work together and strategic bomb certain places or send special forces into track him down. But the difference being would be that America wouldnt have helped at all. Like with Libya, Obama stayed out of that one and didnt help, but now its finished and we won out Obama crawls out the woodwork trying ride on our coat tails and bathe in the glory. But, in respect to the American people, George Bush jnr was a pussy anyway and i think he was forced into as he has no back bone. But then i could be wrong.
No G.B Jr wasn't a pussy he flew out in secret to have thanksgiving or christmas with the troops

no G.B jr was a complete retard
He was so safe. What could be more safe than being in a army base in afganistan surrounded but thousands of American soldiers? All countries do that photo opportunity, the UK prime minister did this as well. But i guess there is always room for an accident so he had some balls for going as there is always a small chance that he could have been blown up. But i meant that American military was screaming "revenge" and other people said "lets get Iraq, lets get Afganistan, theirs a chance for oil" etc etc and i think he should of waited a spoke to other countries for advice on best way to deal with it without all the emotion that fueled it. We can understand attacking Afganistan, but Iraq? He ignored Afganistan and went after Iraq even though Osama was in Afganistan? That makes zero sense, and if i was American, i would be pissed that he went after personal interests before the American people.

But, i do agree he was a retard.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Nope. No military cuts all social. Thats how they want shit handled.
Really? Wow. And i thought our government (UK) were arseholes. :)

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
What you smokin bro? 'Merica cutting its military spending? HA! Don't know if you payed any attention to the american news during our most recent debt ceiling crisis but we'd rather let the rich keep all their money, tax the poor people even more, and keep our out of control bloated military.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Delsana said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Sorry but that won't happen, we've been in the same situation for about 20 years, we just constantly deny it.

No, it would require something more than just economy and debt because that's nothing new.
You make a good point.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
If 9/11 happened in another country, you would get nothing but "that's for *insert retarded reason here*."

For instance, if it was in Europe you would get "That's for World War II!"

A little sad, really.
Unrelated, but your are you aware your avatar looks just like Finn from Glee? Not a bad thing, just a thing :)

In relevance to topic: I agree with the Finn-guy I quoted, the patriotic Americans would probably blame the victim countries. But most Americans would be civil about it obviously.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Scytail said:
What you smokin bro? 'Merica cutting its military spending? HA! Don't know if you payed any attention to the american news during our most recent debt ceiling crisis but we'd rather let the rich keep all their money, tax the poor people even more, and keep our out of control bloated military.[/quote]

Lol. I guess governments dont do common sense. They did the same thing here in the UK, tax the poor, let the rich get richer but with one difference.....we fired aload of army personnel, sold off warships for scraps also scrapped our Harrier Jump Jets and now have two new aircraft carriers without any planes to put on them. Sigh.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"Americans wouldn't care at all by now"

True. The reason we care so much about 9/11 is because it was an attack on civilians directed at our country. We had lived in decades of security, because nobody had ever tried something like this.

Basically, the reason we all (Americans) remembered 9/11 is because it shook the idea that America was a safe place to live.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
It kind of happened here in Norway less than two months ago...But we've already moved on and gone back to our normal lives.
It happened in japan in the 90s also, another religious group of crazies poison gas bombed a subway, it kinda happens all over, america just likes to continue talking about it and using it as a political thing.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
It would be a little different. Not much probably. The US would still intervene and make the event its own business. We would still have hunted down terrorists under rocks for the last 10yrs. This time there would be someone else involved.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
harmonic said:
According to this forum, all Americans are selfish pricks and all non-Americans, meaning every person on Earth not living in the US, is a fucking saint. These arguments are so tiresome and boring. All I hear is DURRRR America would do this and wouldn't do that. You people don't know anything. Nor do you know anything about your own countries.
As far as I can tell nobody so far has said the words all Americans are selfish pricks, or all non-Americans are fucking saints. If your going to use hyperbole that aggressively then at least actually address other peoples points and use evidence to explain why they are wrong... which you have not.

I don't think nobody in America would give a shit if a similar thing happened in another country. I think some kind words would be extended by the US government and lots of US citizens would give money to relief efforts. However, I'm also willing to bet they would also get a bit tired if the media of country in question continued to harp on about it for the next 10 years. I also think they'd have some harsh words for that country if they had used it as an excuse to go into an illegal war which didn't have anything to do with the disaster originally, leading to the loss of thousands more innocent lives.

I do not hate America or any Americans that I do not personally know and have decided to hate. The same is probably true for most of the people on this forum. But I am angry that before 9/11 America had turned a blind eye, even profited from, acts of terrorism against other countries. Whereas now America demands the full support and sympathy of every nation on earth just because it happened to them... once.

TL;DR: If you are going to insult an entire community of people based on their views about one topic, at least give your arguments some credibility, or at least have some arguments at all.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
It depends on which country. I imagine if it happened to a major European ally our reaction would of been similar to that of the ally itself. Initial sympathy/condolence and such but 10 years later rather sick of hearing about it. Assuming of course they go on about it like we have.

If it happened to a rather hostile country we would be polite on the surface but apathetic and quickly forget about it. The reaction would be somewhere between these two for countries between these two extremes.

As for all of those saying "we're sick of hearing about it". Tough I guess. Not that I particularly care about 9/11 any more than I do say the London bombings in 2005 or any other senseless mass murder that I'm aware of. Not a particularly hardcore patriot I suppose. But if a country or people want to remember and pay homage to a tragic event who are you to say they can't or shouldn't? Because it annoys you and you think its self centered because they don't do it for every senseless mass murder? Tough I guess. Because you think they are just out for the sympathy? Tough I guess.

Also keep in mind America is rarely attacked. The only times that I'm aware of that we have lost thousands of people in a single incident on our soil (Within a major territory) is as follows. Battles during the war of Independence (to which we still talk about). Battles during the civil war (to which we still talk about). Pearl Harbor (to which we still talk about). 9/11 to which we're going to continue talking about to some extent for hundreds of years predicted by precedent. 9/11 is also unique in that it is the only one not directly tied to going to "war" in the old fashion sense so closure is likely never going to happen.

So get use to it, and if it bugs you just ignore it. Its not going anywhere.

El Poncho said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
El Poncho said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_London#Irish_republican_attacks_during_.22the_Troubles.22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manchester_bombing

Just some examples...
Fair enough, I knew there were some but not that many. I still find it hard to sympathise when I actually come from an area that had a high rate of bombings, though.
The point is though that America didn't care for Britain, they were all for the IRA. No sympathy is expected.
Ha ha ha... No. What little sympathy that was placed on the IRA was for their desire for independence as people erroneously associated it with similar events that happened in our own country. Most people in America and everyone I know agreed what they were doing was a horrible criminal/terrorist act and that they deserved full punishment for their crimes.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
zehydra said:
"Americans wouldn't care at all by now"

True. The reason we care so much about 9/11 is because it was an attack on civilians directed at our country. We had lived in decades of security, because nobody had ever tried something like this.

Basically, the reason we all (Americans) remembered 9/11 is because it shook the idea that America was a safe place to live.
A safe place to live? over 10000 people were killed because because of the first amendment which allows anyone to own a gun in the year 2000. I believe the figure for 11/9/2001 was around 3000.

derdeutschmachine

Jan 22, 2010
Well as an American who didn't much care about the original attacks and routinely tells people to "get the fuck over it". I can say I'd have equal not care about an attack unless it directly affected me.
The whole thing was blown excruciatingly out of proportion, 3000 people dying in one day is not a strange thing. in fact it would be a lower death count for a normal day.
Yes it was crappy, yes the way they died was also crappy... however 10 years later we are still sniffleing at the mention of a date... I'm sorry it's too much.
Call me heartless cause I don't really care.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Depends on the country. In some countries it would happen and people would move on. In other countries, it would be tuesday.

In both cases, there would be considerably less whining.