What if Saints Row 3, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, and MW3 (if you're still into that) turn out to be bad?

tanithwolf

For The Epic Tanith Wolf
Mar 26, 2009
For me I don't really care about Saints Row 3 and Skyrim, If I here there good I'll get them if not, meh. For Modern Warfare 3 I have very low standards, but will probably get it as long as it's not too bad. For Mass Effect 3 I will be extremely peeved if they screw up, it's one of my favourite game series and they better not screw it up. For Gears of War 3 as long as there's no drastic change from what the beta was like I'll be pretty happy.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
MW3 I won't care it its good or bad.
Saints Row 3 same as MW 3 I would like it to be good but I wont care if its bad.
Skyrim, I'll be very upset but sometimes things like this happens, life moves on.
ME 3, I'll cry. Best franchise this gen and if it doesn't end well I will be so upset I'd break into tears and cry the rest of my life away (not really.)

Leefank137

Jan 8, 2009
The only one of those that I'm excited for is ME3 and if it isn't good I'll be very disappointed. Then again I was one of the (apparently rare) people that enjoyed ME2. There's always Bioshock Infinite I guess.

Deathfyre

Mar 6, 2010
Wayneguard said:
Was Brink really bad? I was under the impression that it just failed to live up to the hype but was still perfectly playable. I really hope that's the case because I really want to play it when I upgrade PCs. I hope it still has some semblance of an online community when that time comes...
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't completely as ready as it should've been. The servers were all laggy, and that drove a lot of people into blasting it.

ikoian

Feb 9, 2011
Ill justify my hype for Guild Wars 2 by saying this: Usually games that are strongly marketed and end up telling you a lot of stuff to get you excited just end up being horrible. I have to give Guild Wars 2 an exception though, as unlike those other games, the team has been actually letting hundreds, if not thousands, of the public test out different demos at conventions.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Brink and Homefront were new IPs. Saints Row 3, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, and MW3 are all from popular series, and have a winning pedigree. For any of them to be actually bad would be unlikely, because they're drawing from the same design elements that made previous games a success. The latter three especially are top-shelf projects from renowned studios. How are they going to fuck that up?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I'd be upset.

But I'd look into the farther future with as much hope as I do now.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Got my preorder down for the CE of ME3 (as I did for the first two), I'm a huge fan of the series so I really hope they don't bollocks it up - but I acknowledge it could happen. I'm avoiding all news on it as they spoiled too much during the press for ME2 - not to mention including the final boss in the mini-artbook.

It is inconcevible to me that Skyrim will be anything less than phenomenal. Even if it was merely on par with Oblivion I would enjoy it immensely.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
They'll all be very good games and they'll all score above 85 on Metacritic. Wanna bet?

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
If ME3 is bad, there's little I can do but bag the crap out of it every time it ever comes up.

I didn't like ME2 as much as the original, it detracted as an RPG, and the shooter elements were also diminished from my perspective. I think EA has (hopefully) pulled its finger out, and will alter ME3 to return to the roots of the original, it may do so, it may not, speculation is just that, but at any rate, once we've bought the game (especially PC versions in Australia), we're virtually stuck with it.

To be honest, regarding how I predict I'll react, there's only two reactions, there's "Oh my god, this is way beyond all expectations" and then there's "Well, what a shame, this could've been spectacular." There's a very thin line inbetween I feel, which I don't think it will fall on.

Given EA's recent performances, I must say my expectations are certainly lower now than they were previously, now I just hope they release it on time, the story concludes well, and the combat isn't as bad as ME2's, anything beyond that and I think I'll be satisfied.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Nooh said:
I simply follow Yahtee's advice: Do not expect a game to be good. If it is good, you'll have a pleasant surprise. If it is bad, you won't be disappointed.
And he's not the first to notice. I said something similar once, but it wasn't related to gaming, only to learn later that someone else had said it before me.

George F. Will, The Leveling Wind: "The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised"

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
High review scores are pretty meaningless these days. I think it's one of the reasons the franchises are doing so well, without accurate reviews it's harder justifying taking risks on unfamiliar games. I still do, but you certainly end up getting burned from time to time.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
It might've been said earlier, but before you even speculate about what you'd do in case the games suck or end with a bad ending, just keep in mind the two deciding factors to each major title prior to pre-ordering->
Skyrim: Will likely be like every other Bethesda game and freeze the crap out of your console. I heard it was being optimized to run smoother on consoles, but I personally have a classic backwards-compatible PS3 that would cost me more money to fix than buying a new PS3 should any overheating or freezing issues rock me like a hurricane.

Mass Effect 3: Will likely be the same as Mass Effect 2, but with bigger action set pieces to distract you from the FF13-style narrow pathways you'll be gunning down.
So, aside from giant action set pieces, the game is looking like it's gonna be ME2 all over again. That is, unless the directors and heads realize how BORING running down a narrow walkway and/or constantly ducking behind cover gets and manages to switch things up (kind of like that one shining moment in ME2 with Joker, with something unique and plot-related).
...You know, in a way that doesn't involve a holographic wrist blade. Because...that's just ridiculous.

MW3: ...More of the same? I don't know. I don't play those games.

Skyrim: IT WILL BE SO IMMERSIVE IT'LL SUCK YOUR CONSCIOUS MIND INTO THE DISC!!
Also- Dragons.

Mass Effect 3: It's the final part of the trilogy. Even those who hate Bioware or Mass Effect in general want to end the series their way and see how their one-to-two favorite characters fair in the end.
Also- That Love Interest you chose years ago.

MW3: ...Guns? I don't know, I told you! I don't play these games!

There, now that the pros and cons are laid bare, don't you think the idea of waiting after their releases is the best option? Don't just pre-order games because you can. That's why so many people are even more enraged than I am about "Dragon Effect Trifectoshit".

Hell, I hate Bioware to the core, but even I'm going to buy Mass Effect 3 no matter what since I already invested 120 dollars into this damn story. I just plan on waiting till I can buy it used.
Wait till you hear the news, folks. That way there's no heartbreak all around!

...Man, I hope "Silent Hill: Downpour" is good...

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
I don't care if the others are bad, but if ME3 and Skyrim suck I might go into a corner and cry in the fetal position to rethink my life

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wayneguard said:
Was Brink really bad? I was under the impression that it just failed to live up to the hype but was still perfectly playable. I really hope that's the case because I really want to play it when I upgrade PCs. I hope it still has some semblance of an online community when that time comes...
Yes, it was THAT bad, I heavily regret buying it, even if it was an XBLA game for 10$ I would still regret it, its just not playable. The matchmaking sucks, there is always lag, the maps are few and repetative, the DLC is a joke, the gunplay is meh, the "SMART" system isnt smart and innovative, you just auto-jump some things if you hold the sprint button. The bots range from very stupid to 1 hit kills. It doesnt look good, textures take time to load, very little content to unlock, everything unlocked in less than 4 hours with the exception of some meaningless perks.

Overall I gave it multiple chances but it never offered anything good, in 2 hours you only do one fun match, the rest of the time you are jumping from match to match.

OT: People need to understand that the question isnt about those specific titles, its about the games that you are expecting to buy.

For me it would only mean that my Xbox would now rest in a corner for a long time.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Portal 2 aside, I am yet to be really engaged by any of this years releases*, so as long as I get a game or two to get my teeth into before the end of the year, I'll be happy. The only one of these games I am truly waiting for is ME3 and that is primarily for the conclusion of the story. The only way they could screw it up is if the story goes down some "and it was all a dream" style narrative copout, or if the decisions I made in the earlier games end up being barely relevant. A tweaked version of the previous combat engine (around which most of the recent hype has revolved) doesn't bother me at all.

With aging technology console-wise, established IP and hype machines in overdrive, the chances any of these franchises capturing the magic of playing them for the first time are pretty slim. I'm enjoying New Vegas at the moment but it's all for the story and the setting: the mechanics are tweaked but familiar so gameplay-wise it feels more like an expansion than a brave new world. I expect the same of Arkham City: there was a warm rush in learning, then mastering the mechanics of AA that I don't really expect to get from City.

All I want is a satisfying conclusion to the story arcs, then it's on to twiddling thumbs until the next gen arrives, Bioshock Infinity notwithstanding.

*caveat: yet to play Deus Ex, wasn't all that thrilled by LA Noire and the replay value of Portal 2 was too limited to qualify as a bonafide "play the hell out of" classic.