What If The Hobbit Was A Single Film? An Alternate Trailer Finds Out

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
What If The Hobbit Was A Single Film? An Alternate Trailer Finds Out

<youtube=jjn3FmTCyL8>​
Video editor Joel Walden condenses Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy into one trailer.

The final of three Hobbit movies by Peter Jackson releases in theaters next week. Originally starting out as two films, the adaptation to J.R.R. Tolkien's book, The Hobbit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20hobbit] is much longer than the original source. L.A.-based video editor Joel Walden gives fans a glimpse of a more condensed retelling of The Hobbit.

"I thought it would be fun to create a trailer that promotes his cinematic retelling of The Hobbit as a single epic piece," Walden wrote on YouTube.

The fan trailer uses clips from the two films and the trailer for The Battle of Five Armies, as well as clips from The Fellowship of the Ring, the film adaptation of the first book in Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.

Some people criticize Jackson's decision to expand on Tolkien's The Hobbit, turning the film adaptation into three movies for a single book. For those people, maybe Walden's "The Hobbit: The Complete Journey" will provide some relief. Compare that to the trailer for The Battle of Five Armies. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136484-Trailer-The-Hobbit-The-Battle-of-Five-Armies]

This isn't the only fan piece to condense The Hobbit. In October Brotherhood Workshop created a stop-motion LEGO video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138126-The-Hobbit-Gets-a-72-Second-LEGO-Retelling] of The Hobbit, retelling the epic in 72 seconds.

More of Walden's work is available on his website. [http://jwaldeneditor.com/]

Source: Joel Walden (YouTube) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjn3FmTCyL8]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Given the way both it and the LotR trilogy where made, aren't they both just 8-9 hour movies that where cut into three parts anyway?

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I'll bet a lot of people are going to be releasing fan-edits of the trilogy that cut it down to a single 3 hour movie after the third one gets a DVD/blu-ray release.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
XMark said:
I'll bet a lot of people are going to be releasing fan-edits of the trilogy that cut it down to a single 3 hour movie after the third one gets a DVD/blu-ray release.
The sad thing is that the 2 hour cartoon from the 70s was actually better, and more faithful, then Peter Jackson's films. I was very disappointed to see him pull a George Lucas on us.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I think editing it down to 1 movie is a little excessive frankly. The book may be shorter than any one LotR book but it's also very densely packed. Besides, not all of Peter Jackson's additions and world building are bad. I think 2 movies, a little over 2 hours each, would trim enough fat and still not make it feel rushed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Olas said:
I think editing it down to 1 movie is a little excessive frankly. The book may be shorter than any one LotR book but it's also very densely packed. Besides, not all of Peter Jackson's additions and world building are bad. I think 2 movies, a little over 2 hours each, would trim enough fat and still not make it feel rushed.
Agreed. A lot of people seem to forget that a lot of stuff in the book is told, but not actually shown. Such as when they escape from the goblins. Bilbo is told that they had to fight their way out, but the fight still happened. Tolkien just decided not to write about it. I think the story could have easily been done with only two movies, but I am excited to see how this third one plays out because this should be the one where a lot of stuff is added in. Most of the other stuff in the other movies is at least mentioned in the book, but in passing. Here though...I find it hard to believe that Jackson just made a two hour movie about a war.

As for the trailer, it was really good, but also rather long. I think that shows more to the fact that there are three movies than the trailer itself, but there were a few places where I felt like, "It should have ended here."

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Do a David Lean, make a four hour epic with an intermission and call it Lawrence of Middle Earth.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm with Linkara on this one. Trying to make it just one movie would have made it far too rushed.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
I could get on board with 2 normal length movies. As others have said there was a ton of stuff that was mentioned in the book that was never explained in great detail. As it stands 3 is too much especially knowing what was added has very little value to the actual story.

It really really bothers me what Peter Jackson has done to Tolkien's work. The LotR trilogy was fine but after that he went crazy. I would venture a guess that Tolkien himself sits in the undying lands and weeps every time a new Hobbit movie is released.

Jun 26, 2010
Fox12 said:
XMark said:
The sad thing is that the 2 hour cartoon from the 70s was actually better, and more faithful, then Peter Jackson's films. I was very disappointed to see him pull a George Lucas on us.
Excuse me for being presumptuous, I don't know how long it's been since you've seen the Rankin/Bass film, but I can assure you, it really does not live up to how one remembers it as a child. I'd rather watch all three of Peter Jackson's Hobbit films extended than sit through that again.

OT: I'd be very interested to see a cut down version of PJ's Hobbit films, but as a Middle Earth fan, I definitely appreciate all the extra world he has put into the films, and all that would have to go to give it as reasonable running time.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
looking forward to the fan-edits of this. Hopefully they'll be easier to find than some of the Star Wars ones.