What if Your Kids Joined The Military?

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I've been [del]trolling[/del] posting in these forums for some time now(Almost about to hit 3K) and I have noticed many differing opinions on many things. So I though this would be the perfect place to pose the question of what would all you Escapists do if you had children that wanted to join your nation's armed forces. I ask this question because of personal experience. You see I hope to get accepted to the US Air Force Academy, something my mother absolutely loathes. My father is happy with my choice seeing it as something worth doing.

Personally I would encourage my child if they wanted to join, though I would push them toward The Air Force and getting an officer's commission.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I have kids?
But I'm still a virgin!(And I don't recall donating sperm......)

honestly, I would just be disappointed in general. But it really depends on what war they are fighting in.

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
My dad is a Retired LTC. in the Army and he is proud i am Joining the Army after College.

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
As long as the war isn't a virtual repeat of the Iraq war, I'd let them do what they want. I wouldn't necessarily enjoy it, though.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I would say good on them, great benefits to joining the army/airforce/navy, especially in Australia. Plus it can turn out to be a long and worthwhile career.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
I would say its their choice and make sure they know what their going into before hand and hope my world views didn't influence them.

Right now I'm trying to get into the Canadian reserves, and I also think some form of public service wether it is the military or something else should be manditory atleast 1 week out of the year. Doesn't matter to me whether it is just general volunteering or w/e.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Shock and Awe said:
Personally I would encourage my child if they wanted to join, though I would push them toward The Air Force
Same here, I'm looking to join the Air force shortly, 90% of the Air Force is technicians and engineers, so I know they'll be safer and be able to prepare for a career...

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'd be disappointed that my kids would choose to fight in order to push the ideals of their government upon others. However, giving that it's their choice, I will not force them not to go. I will give them both cons and pros but, as I've said before, it's not my choice. It's theirs.

hardlymotivated

May 20, 2009
It would be entirely their choice, but I'd make sure that it's a decision that they're not just taking lightly.

Then I would wonder when I became a father.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Depends. If it were for less than noble causes (getting a kick out of killing some foreign dude) I probably wouldn't be too happy. But for the most part I wouldn't be too upset. I'm no pacifist and I've had my own thoughts about joining the military, so I could respect my kids for going out and getting a job that they want to do. Even if that job theoritically calls for them to regularly kill people they don't even know.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
IF I had kids, I wouldn't be for or against the idea.

I wouldn't necessarily encourage them, but I wouldn't discourage them either, ya' know?

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I'd try and talk them out of it because I wouldn't want to have the worry, but I'd let them have the final decision.
Maybe I'd act differently and not be as selfish, but we won't know until I have kids that want to join the army. Could be in for a long wait seeing as how unlikely the former is, nevermind the latter.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Good for them, they found something to do with their life. My brother's made a career out of the army and he loves it. As long as they know what they're getting into, that's fine by me.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I would be very proud if they enlisted. They would do something I can not (the military won't take me due to mental conditions). Drafted? I do not know.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
If it was something my future children wanted to do, it made them happy and I was certain they were doing it for the right reasons, then sure I would support them with every bone in my body. My mother was encouraging me to join the Air Force after school, it was something that I was also interested in doing but I don't think I would or could have enjoyed the lifestyle that comes with it.