What if Your Kids Joined The Military?

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I would be disagree with the conclusion they had come to but respect their ability to come to their own conclusion that they should join the military.

I'd be fine with it.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Anything except the Army.

Army = Zerg.
Navy = Protoss Cannons.
Seals = Terran Ghosts.
Marines = The Players.

And I'll be damned if my spawn get wiped out in the first 30 seconds of a battle.

ZeppelinFan29

Jan 6, 2010
I'm a Cadet so if/when I have kids if the choose the military I'd be very very happy.

And Stabnex, you might want to switch your definitions of Army and Marines. Marines are the mindless "kill kill kill fanatics" after all.

Sorry, couldn't resist the inter-service rib.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I'm a US Army cadet, I don't have the money or scholarships to pay for school -let alone med school- and I'm not joining the army so my kids can follow in my footsteps. If it's what they really wanted though, I guess there's nothing I could do. It would be their life, not mine.

John Adams said it best:

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
I'd smack them in the head for not discussing with this me before, but then I'd say: "Make sure to actually hit the enemy!"

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
I would have them go into the officer candidacy program. Or better yet have them go to West Point. My children are (theoretically, as they do not yet exist) really smart and could become a 4-star General someday, then President.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
I wouldn't let them. Sure, I would just be an ass for doing it, but I wouldn't risk them killing someone, or dying.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
Shock and Awe said:
You see I hope to get accepted to the US Air Force Academy.

Personally I would encourage my child if they wanted to join, though I would push them toward The Air Force and getting an officer's commission.
Best of wishes on getting in! I would also push them towards the Air Force, especially for a daughter (the Marines have a bad-rep when it comes to taking care of their female forces).

I'd be damn scared. I know military widows and it's hard to watch that. That being said, I'd be a proud parent in whatever they chose as long as they were pursuing their dream. I'd support my kid in any way possible.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
I'd be disappointed that my kids would choose to fight in order to push the ideals of their government upon others. However, giving that it's their choice, I will not force them not to go. I will give them both cons and pros but, as I've said before, it's not my choice. It's theirs.
I agree with this person completely. Sums up everything I want to say on this subject without me needing to say it - which saves me a free hand for masturbation. Thank you AndyFromMonday!

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
if they wanted to do it, id let them go! unless there joining during a Vietnam type war id be fine with it. i was actually considering joining myself but i decided against it to do something i would enjoy :p . I'm actually the first in about 5 or so generations of my family not to enlist lol

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I would encourage the kid as long as he/she actually put some thought into it. If it was a decision he/she made because of a video game I would be concerned. But if they actually put forth good reasons and made sure that they weren't going in expecting an amazing adventure exactly like the movies than I would be fine with it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I would tell them that they are complete idiots and wish them luck.

If they want to spend their days rubbing shoulders with a pack of meatheads, screwing over third world countries and getting shot at on occasion, then that's their choice. I wouldn't approve, but I don't want to be the kind of parent who seeks to control my adult offspring "for their own good".

Bear in mind that I don't actually have kids, so this may be the complete opposite of how I would actually react.

SimpleChimp

Jun 11, 2009
I am enlisting, i am also trying to complete ROTC to get my commissioning in the Army. If my son wanted to join i would be proud, and i would have no objection. It's his life. Wether he wanted college or to serve our country i would be proud.

Just so long as he didn't want to be a Marine ;^P

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah, I'd be pretty happy. See, I loathe children, and the thought of having any offspring makes me physically sick. So if I do have any, I'd love for them to pursue a job with a non-trivial risk of death...

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
If it were during any time when a war like either WW's, Vietnam, or the Iraq/Afghanistan wars I'd probably do everything I could to steer them away from it or negotiate as safe of a branch as possible for them. No! No, water purification for you! Haven't you seen In the Army Now? Then every night that they were deployed afield I'd get another gray hair. But whatever they decided on, I'd support them 100%. Once someone has made up their mind, trying to change it will only push them away and not get you anywhere for it.