What if Your Kids Joined The Military?

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Lullabye said:
I have kids?
But I'm still a virgin!(And I don't recall donating sperm......)
That's why you should be careful where you throw your used tissues

OT: I wouldn't care, and I'm the most liberal guy around (registered Communist, believe free market should be abolished, or at least heavily regulated). Who am I to call for the freedom of individuals, and then tell my (hypothetical) kids they can't do something?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
"Son/daughter, be a badass like I've always taught you. Remember, Riot shields, throwing knives, double shotgun."

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Being Canadian, I wouldn't worry at all, our military doesn't really do much that can be considered dangerous.

mezmerizer02

Jun 6, 2009
I'm the first in my family to serve and have been doing so for almost 10 years now. They can do what they wish, that's their choice, I protect that right. Wars don't happen everyday, but when you do go you understand what is really happening and not having your thoughts shaped by the idiot box and the newspaper. If they chose not to be a coward, and understand someone has to do the job so many can't or are unwilling to do, then that's fantastic.

crouchingtigress01

Mar 14, 2009
I come from a strong military family, and while my mother didn't want me to join, I would constantly worry about his/her safety because I have seen the dark side of war and the scars during a stay at a military base/hospital; however, I would support my child in their choice and pray they come home safe and sound

DMonkey

Nov 29, 2009
Ha, with my blood, if they did, I would start a betting pool on how long till they get booted out.

hottsaucekid

Sep 20, 2009
id support them in whatever theyre doing. personally i dont like war or any violence in general, id make sure they know what they are getting into of course.

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
DalekJaas said:
I would say good on them, great benefits to joining the army/airforce/navy, especially in Australia. Plus it can turn out to be a long and worthwhile career.
True, except when they DIE of course.

Kidding, I don't think Australia has much to worry about.

OP: I wouldn't be happy, but it's their choice as to what they want to do with their life, not mine. Still, I would think that my theoretical kids would be smart enough not to join the US army in a time like this. Plus, have you seen our Vietnam veterans? Not a pretty picture.

Lady Nilstria

Aug 11, 2009
Shock and Awe said:
You see I hope to get accepted to the US Air Force Academy
Hey, me too! :D Though, granted, I'd go in as a reserve, serve my years, and then all of my medical schooling will be paid for, or so I hear. (Veterinarian school is darn expensive, and I'd rather not spend the rest of my life buried under student loans.)

I have nothing against joining the military. My father was a Marine until he got into a few motorcycle accidents that permanently damaged his leg and both of my grandfathers (including stepfather) were in the military (two AF and one Marine if I recall). Both sides of my family have been in the military for several generations.

The only thing I disapprove of is a woman being a soldier. I have nothing against women joining the military. That is just as honorable as a man, but not as a soldier (soldier understood as a job where your main tasks are going to be carried out with guns and you're probably going to be killing people). Mechanic, engineer, doctor, whirly-bird pilot, etc., but not as a soldier. Men and women are equal in value, but it can't be denied that some things should be left to either gender. People who disagree with me...I've heard it all before, including from people in the military. Your opinions are understood and realized.

zHellas said:
I'd smack them in the head for not discussing with this me before, but then I'd say: "Make sure to actually hit the enemy!"
And I'd do this too, just cause.

Overall, if the person's reason was good, all the power to them. I would then proceed to pray every single night for their safety.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I would feel proud, and know that I raised them right.

Not because they are fighting for their country, but because they are doing what they believe in, regardless of outside pressures. I don't want my children to join the military; not in the slightest. But if they do what they feel is right, then I've succeeded as a parent.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'd be very disappointed in my kids if they joined the military. I strongly oppose the actions of my (American) government and would sooner take up arms against it than fight for it.

Besides, any kid of mine I'd want to see follow in my footsteps in finance or even my side gig in the creative arts. Soldiering? Not with my genes.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Judging by my parents, crying everytime something related to Soldiers dying coming on TV and the news.

I really have to pick and choose when to play CoD

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
My uncle was in the Navy, and my Brother is in the process of joining the Navy.

We're anything but a military family, though. It surprised my parents when my brother announced his plans.
But by no means does 'the military' mean 'fight in a war.' There are many, many things that someone can find themselves doing in the military. It's never sure that they will see combat, or even be on the ground.

If I have a child who is of the age for service, and wants to- then I will do the best of my ability to help them understand the choice they're making. Help them gather information and most importantly, listen to them. Especially since when they're legally an adult- I could hardly stop them (easily) from joining if they're set upon it

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Depends on the war. A war for the profit of the already rich like we are currently engaged in, fuck no. A war against someone like Hitler, perhaps.

GobBluth

May 2, 2010
Support them, whether I support the war going on or not, I would support them and their decision as long as they put a lot of thought into it