What if Your Kids Joined The Military?

Chris Overhage

Jul 29, 2010
Having been in the service myself i would try to explain to my children that there are other career opportunities than killing people. A lot of others.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
(this is assuming that I don't get myself sterilized right after highschool, which I probably will.)

I would let them since its their choice.

Less than half the military even sees combat anyway, so he wouldn't be much at stake, either.

nofear220

Apr 29, 2010
Id tell them to stop playing so much Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Virtual Reality 2 because that game will be out by the time I have kids, Im not even old enough to enroll in the army myself. The only 2 reasons I can see teens wanting to join the army is because they either want to see how many n00bs they can pwn in real life, or they are depressed and dont really have the will to live anymore but cant be bothered with suicide. Unfortunately I am the latter :(

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
Start making another kid.
That and make sure my current one is prepared for the war they are fighting however I can.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
"WHAT!?

"oh come on da-"

"NO! they dont even need soldiers! if they must ruin the shit of other countries, they have fucking city-sized explosions! and beyond that I have made several speeches over the years on the stupidity of war!"

"oh-"

"DONT QUESTION LOGIC!"

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Given that I joined the military in a time of war with the intention of being deployed, I could not deny my offspring the same choice. Of course, I would also do my best to explain that my choice wasn't the best possible one all things considered and I'd certainly worry about their well being.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I'd be very worried. I wouldn't push them towards it, but I'd encourage them. I think it's a choice someone should make themselves, rather than making it because they feel they're pleasing someone else.

Nexus Arc

Aug 6, 2010
I would only let them join if it was not the American army(that way my children may stay alive) I have absolutely no patriotism after living in TN for so long, I hate it here everyone is a fucking redneck and I have rage, worst of all I am German( but born in New York) and for some odd reason they call me a fag for pronouncing words correctly.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
I'd be kinda pissed. If there was any way they could get out of it, I'd explain to them that recruiters fucking lie through their teeth, and tell you exactly what they want to hear so you'll sign up and fight in their war. That's an enormous amount of duplicity not to mention lack of a respect from a military that claims to care about the soldiers.

If they honestly felt (and thought!) strongly on what they were choosing to do and why they were choosing to do it, and if it came from well thought out personal convictions, I'd be upset but I'd support them. Hell, I'd support them no matter what, cuz they're my kids. Expecting the military to take care of them is another thing entirely.

pigmypython

Jan 15, 2010
Well I have been in the military for 14 years so it would be cool with me. I would want them to go in a field they enjoyed and might make a career at. However as a start, the reserves in Canada will help with paying for school. For this reason I would suggest they go in the reserves first (only go overseas if they wish) and then decide if they want to make a career of it. That way they will also get a degree (which is also important).

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
I have KIDS?!?!?!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OT: I'd be fine, my best mate and my brother are in the military.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Let him/her do it, I'd probably worry but at least there trying to make something of themselves.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
Conscription here (at least for the time being, it will prolly be changed to a proffesional military in some years), so I'd be damn disappointed if the hypotethical offspring wormed their way out of it.
Conscientious reasons are for pussies, since there's always a need for medics.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
It would be their choice, but I would remind my child/ren that the army themselves use this particular saying:
"Remember, your weapon was made by the lowest bidder."

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
It's ultimately their choice in the end, but I wouldn't really encourage or discourage it. Save if the war was something I was strongly against in principle (The current Iraq/Afghanistan war for the most part, for example). Life is a series of choices, we can only help others make the right or wrong one when the moment comes.

Also.. I have kids now? When did this happen, I ask!?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Depends on what army.

Not all Irish make it into the Irish Defence Forces so they tend to try and enlist abroad.

If they joined the French Foreign Legion or the British Army i'd Disown them.

I'd also get them to join the Reserves first so they have some idea of what they are getting themselves into.

All that said, if i had a son or daughter that got accepted into the Defence Forces Cadets i'd be pretty proud.

NickIsCool

Nov 18, 2009
woah, im trying to get into the airforce too :D

probably not the same way as you

but either way, go us :D

OT: i would be completely fine with it as long as the went for coast guard or air force

i guess any other branch would be fine as long as we arent in the middle of some conflict

either way, i would be proud