What if Your Kids Joined The Military?

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
I would make this faic:

Yeah, not too keen on my children either, A, whooping my own ass, B, dying on the field of battle, or C, becoming a muscle-necked jackass.

EDIT: Not saying that all military folks are this way, but knowing my luck, either of those would happen to me.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I'd try to help them out, in some form. I honestly don't expect to get married, much less have children, but if I did I probably would not seriously try to dissuade them from such a course. I would try to influence them towards having "many options", but I would not be seriously upset if they chose that course.

Then again... I don't really know. I don't think i'll ever find out either.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Seriously? It's their choice, they're old enough to enlist they're old enough to know what they're doing, so I'd support them. Not that I have any intention of spawning broodlings in the near future, although I would be pretty happy.

"Cut the grass"
"Now wash my car"
"What are you complaining about? This is going to seem like paradise compared to basic, so get moving"

Actually...

*small aside before someone tries to chew my asterisk: Three of my uncles were combat engineers and one was an infantryman who became a career officer, so I respect the uniform and the people who have worn them. I just don't respect some of the reasons people are putting on the uniform for these days.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
id be suportive but i would make absolutly sure they know what they're getting into.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Cool. I hope they don't die. Unless the government pays for the funeral. THen they can die all they want.

Lullabye said:
I have kids?
But I'm still a virgin!(And I don't recall donating sperm......)
You didn't donate. It was taken from you.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Well, living in Israel, they'd have to join the Army whether I liked it or not. We've got a draft here, so... yeah.

Still, even if there wasn't a draft, it's their own choice. Deciding what paths in life they should or shouldn't take would make me a candidate for Worst Parent of the Year.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
If my kids enlisted I'd be damn proud of them for doing so and boy if they got accepted into one of the academies (and became officers) I'd glow so much they'd see me from space

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I would say "Ah hell no, you're joining the resistance now grab all your ammo and sturples MRE's were going into the woods to ramble on about goverment conspiracies and potinal zombie attacks!Prolly cause by the goverment!!" Then my kid would say "Okay Dad, well I'll be going now you stay here with the nice people, okay?"

OT: In reality i'll have driving my hypothetical kid into the loney bin.

OT(for real): I would be proud that he has something to aspire too, inless of course his just doing as a last ditch effort. I would also explain to him that there is no good in joining the military if all you want to do is "See some Action" because if that the only reason I would pop him on the head and force him to get a office job for being so stupid.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
I be worried for their saftey, war is a dangerous thing after all. I wouldn't want my kids preforming atrocities upon others, nor experiance such things, I also wouldn't want to lose them in a pointless war that just benifits the rich and lowers the population of the poor. So in short I'd be scared for their safety and their innocence. And if it was comparable to the Vietnam war I'd probably soil myself.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
I'd be proud. I'm going to be in Army ROTC when I start college in a few days, so I obviously have a high opinion of that kind of work. Following in daddy's footsteps...

Although, I would prefer they go the officer route. So much better that way.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Eh, it's their choice. But DO reconsider what you're getting into. Air Force is no place for a bright kid, the Navy is far superior in every way. Yes, even THAT way.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I imagine I would still love them, and were proud of them. As much as I don't like the idea, they would be my children and I would have to love and be proud of them.

That said, I don't want to have children at all, so with any luck this scenario shouldn't come up.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I would be proud of my child/children for joining the service. It's a HUGE life decision that would require much thought and consideration. It is also a great way to start a career, and it looks absolutely AMAZING on a resume.

If my child (who wouldn't be a child if they joined the Army, Marines, Air Force, or Navy) wanted to serve, then I would support their decision. However, that is not to say I wouldn't be worried about them the whole time.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I'd be open-minded, proud and worried for them (especially if they wanted to be infantry).

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
As a peace loving hippie, I'd be pretty damn disappointed that my children, the ones I've raised and taught since they were tiny, would go to war and kill. But in the end, regardless of how I feel, it would be their decision, not mine, and I would respect every choice they would make.