What is a Chav?

Sep 14, 2009
*sniffs air*

ahh..good to see we can all come together and hate douchebags in unity.

didn't hear the term "chav" until this past year, but i do enjoy the fact that the whole "am i the only one..?" doesn't apply here.

hard to say if we have a word in america that is similar to chav...mostly just ghetto douchebag or ungrateful ****

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Volf99 said:
Phishfood said:
Lets see, there are a few requirements.
1) Council housing
2) Habbits such as drinking cheap cider on street corners
3) Wearing hoodies
4) Generally acting like society owes you one even though you are the one too lazy to find a job.

Don't really have to be VIOLENT as such, but violence pretty much guarantees being a chav. As does being pregnant at 13. The US equivalent would be rednecks.

To quote Jimmy Carr
"The first time I saw it written I thought it was pronounced 'chareve'* and I thought 'They sound like lovely people, I must meet them"

* to rhyme with cucumber sarendwich
eh, rednecks are not always violent, and stereotypically if your white, they leave you alone.
Eh, not all rednecks are racist. I think they get a bad rap sometimes. I know a few of them who have moved to the city and I have met a lot of them while on vacation and generally speaking there are just loud and friendly. Good people to hang out and drink with. As usual a small group of assholes give the larger group a bad name.

Sep 14, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
They are indeed a scourge on the planet, and I don't feel remotely bad about stereotyping them.

If you don't like being called a chav and treated like you're thieving, offensive, scummy twats, then it's quite simple, stop dressing like one, and stop acting like one :)

Lets me use one of my favourite lines too - 'Baseball caps are like pubic hair, you can remove it, but there'll still always be a c*** underneath.'

Honestly, if suddenly all chavs started wearing black t shirts, I'd stop wearing them, because I'd not want people thinking I was an antisocial arsehole, so they can't really complain that we're unfairly judging them. If I was going for a job in childminding I'd change out of the bloodstained clown suit first, in case my outfit affected their opinion of me.

Another thing that amazes me is their amazing ability to take a car worth £1000, (and yes, I mean 'take' most of the time), spend £5000 on upgrades, lights, and speakers, to leave it worth about a tenner. Including, putting a shitty huge exhaust in, just to make it loud.
What sort of unbelievable twat wants a noisy car? Oh yes, an antisocial chav twat.

I wouldn't be impressed if my mate put a piece of card in his PC fan to make it go BRRRRR all day, why would a stupid, unsuitable exhaust on a car with a lawnmower engine impress?

As for their habit of parking in car parks just to crank up their bass bins and annoy everyone in a mile with their godawful music choices. I LIKE electronica, but fuck where do they get the stuff they listen to? It sounds like a chipmunk singing over a pan pipes album with a shitty bassline dropped in.

wow, sad to say i could walk around all day taking about 100-200 pictures and i guarantee it would be exactly as you described, although right here in wee ole america...*realization we aren't so different*

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
FamoFunk said:
The Red Dragon said:
They're a sub-species of humans that really ought to be studied extensively. They have bottles of cider growing out of their hands, and have developed a second skin that they like to call a tracksuit. Evolution is truly a strange thing.
Omg, Matthew, that's hilarious xD

Pictures of Chavs for your pleasure, OP!

;D

Ugh, so much scum. It physically hurts me looking at those pics. ¬_¬

Sep 14, 2009
Phishfood said:
Lets see, there are a few requirements.
1) Council housing
2) Habbits such as drinking cheap cider on street corners
3) Wearing hoodies
4) Generally acting like society owes you one even though you are the one too lazy to find a job.

Don't really have to be VIOLENT as such, but violence pretty much guarantees being a chav. As does being pregnant at 13. The US equivalent would be rednecks.

To quote Jimmy Carr
"The first time I saw it written I thought it was pronounced 'chareve'* and I thought 'They sound like lovely people, I must meet them"

* to rhyme with cucumber sarendwich
erm...now i love to bash on rednecks as much as the next person, but i think you have the wrong description here...they definitely aren't aggressively violent, nor do they act like society owes them as such.

and mostly, they aren't book smart, but holy hell would i want rednecks around me if the world ends, they tend to know so much damn knowledge about living off the land it's insane.

Char12

Sep 14, 2011
Chavs are the scum of Britain, usually living off benefits while hardworkinh people pay for there Bucky and Fags, I hate them

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Razada said:
Volf99 said:
KLJT said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol
You know it's really racist to use terms like "pikey" and "gyppo", right?

If you mean Irish travellers or Roma, say so.
how can it be racist if they aren't a race? Last I checked, their White, right?
Roma are a Race of people from modern day Iran or Turkey and were treated worse then the Jews during the holocaust, they are still hated all across Europe because of the negative stereotypes that surround them
I hate to nitpick but I think you mean ethnic group, not race.
I hate to say it but people are what they define themselves to be. Plus are you saying it is impossible to be "Racist" unless you are hating on either Central Asians, Black people or White people? (As those are, essentially, the three "Races" when you get down to it. Oh, and jews, but that is more of a cultural thing. Which kinda brings me back to my point) You are still being a discriminatory bastard.

You do NOT use those terms in civilized society.

EDIT: To all of those using the word Gypo.

You are, without a doubt, scum.

Thankyou.
wait, I'm confused. Why am I scum?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Thing is, I actually worked with someone who dressed like that once and he wasn't bad really, but as I say, if you wear the uniform, you can't blame people for thinking you're in that particular army. Thing was, he was capable of stringing a sentence together without using 'fuck' as punctuation too.

It's hilarious that they ALL think they're both hard as fuck and god's gift to the female race, while they'll only start a fight if there's a group of them or they're armed, and they only get to have sex with female chavs, and personally I'd rather stick my cock in a beaker full of the ebola virus, it'd be safer.

Trouble is, like in Idiocracy, where most rational people are thinking 'damn, the world's fucked, as is the economy, we're all fucked, there's no way I'm going to plan to have more children at the moment.' that lot are fucking their sister as soon they hit their first period at about 12. A pushchair is a badge of honour up there with an ASBO or an ankle tag from the courts.

As a moment of balance however, we should remember, a single banker can do more damage than a thousand of these tuggish. multiplying hood rats. For some reason, bankers are still seen as 'respectable' because they don't shout abuse at us, they merely dismiss as as irrelevant.

I won't link to the video as it's kind of grim, but for a sign of the stupidity of the average chav, search youtube for chav vs wall.

Firstly it's evidence that chavs will just try to destroy things just because they're there, and too heavy to steal, and secondly that they have absolutely no concept of cause and effect, or basic physics, to the point of not understanding how gravity works.

If only he'd played Tetris once instead of just stealing kid's gameboys and phones to sell at pawnshops to buy more cider, he'd have saved himself a lot of pain. It's a nasty piece of justice for a vandal, but at the same time, there's a telling moment where his 'hard voice' disappears as he realises what he's done.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
They really are not going away as some have suggested. There are so many out there it is depressing and in fact dangerous to go outside, in some areas more than others.

Its not even a logical danger either. Chavs can and will harass and assault you for doing such things are looking at them, not looking at them, walking past them, standing in sight of them. I live near-ish a town that has pretty much been overtaken by chavs (Oldham) and its depressing and worrying. I am scared to go out at night.. even in the day. Lord help you if they see you handling money and walking alone. Not a week goes by that you don't hear a story of someone getting mugged or murdered by these scum, they are a blight on this country.

Chavs really are degenerates (my own term for them) as in.. they seem devolved. They cannot string together a coherent sentence, have unfocused eyes, faces set in a twisted mockery of the human face, cannot work out simple logic beyond 'fire hot it burns' (and some may not even realize that at times) and will stab their own 'friend' in the back for £5. I use the term friend loosely because none of these chavs are real friends with each other: all the chavs I have had the misfortune to know over the years have betrayed one another for a pittance of money along the lines, and no real friend would do that. Its sad really, they're degenerated subhumans who have no real friends, intelligence and nothing going for them.. completely out of their own faults. They refuse to get educated (up to and including assaulting teachers who try and help them) make all the other kids education a misery or completely destroy it (I came from a class who lost two teachers before no other teacher would take the post and lost my business studies GCSE)

As I heard one other say here: These are the seeds of the thatcher years that have bloomed in all their ugly glory.

And in answer to the OP: The american term for them I think is guido white trash.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Razada said:
A term used for the working class or unemployed youth of Britain by people who are disconnected from/do not give a shit about the problems that they face on a daily basis. A term used by ignorant bastards who deserve a thump. A term used to try and make people stop caring about the youth we have left behind.

Or according to everyone else, a term for someone in a hoodie who is out to stab you and steal your shoes. I mean, the Daily Mail is always right and that is what the Daily Mail says!

In America before the Civil Rights Movement and the entire "Stop being racist" thing it was very easy to blame black people for their shitty living conditions etc (And refer to them using a term that was both a piece of slang and a weapon). Now that term is no longer really... Widely used?

In Britain although we have the same socioeconomic problems (People do not riot without cause, Matriarchal society lead by single mothers... The links are there if you are not afraid of joining the dots) but we still use a slang term to describe them because, well, as long as people see working class people and think "Chav" not "Person" people will not call for better facilities, more funding and some form of help to get these people back into mainstream society.

And before someone jumps down my throat... Inverse Care Law. It aint quite institutionalized segregation but it might as well be.

EDIT: Faith in humanity has gone down by 5 points. I was expecting everyone to come up with reasons why Chavs are scum of the earth but... Bleh, am I the only person who actually thinks about the issue and thinks the term is a bad thing.

For the first and only time in my life I am going to say this unironicly. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

2nd EDIT:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol
"We have more trouble with pikeys and gypos". You are aware that to some, such as myself, such terms would be the equivalent of saying "Niggers and porch monkeys" and that it is unacceptable to use such terms? You are aware of that, right?

Oh wait, judging from your demeanor it was a joke! Just a really not at all funny one which would cause me to punch you the fuck out. Not because of my tenous gypsy origin (Somewhere down the line 4 or 5 generations ago) but simply because you do not use such terms within civilized society. For the same reason I would punch someone who called a black person a ******, I would punch you.

Why is it ok in modern Britain to be casually racist, classist and just an all around dick whilst simultaneously claiming that we are well educated?
you really come off as being but hurt, you know that? Seriously there is no reason to be so aggressive on an internet thread.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
We used the term gypo, but we also used pikey which matey forgot to list ^^

I think the video below a comedy sketch by chris rock can vaguely touch on the subject :p as i said i got no issues with real Travellers Gypsies what ever the PC term is but in the south west most of these people are not this. They are mobile thugs.

If this makes me scum well fair shout x) ill trade your position on the ivory tower for living out in the sticks any day hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

Oh wait, judging from your demeanor it was a joke! Just a really not at all funny one which would cause me to punch you the fuck out.
Hehe fair enough x) my apologies that i have caused you so much harm by using this term from hence forth i shall refer to "Pikey" as "Irish Traveller" and "Gypo" as "Romany Gypsie"

what pray tell shall i refer to the people who trash the country side i live in and cause choas where ever they may be so that i may not make the mistake of getting "punched the fuck out". as this is something i would be keen to avoid.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Simple answer, these guys

In answer to your other questions:
They aren't violent, just annoying and rude. They're more commonly found in English towns and cities. Being a chav isn't popular, it's just a stereotype they've given us

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
surg3n said:
Volf99 said:
Rastien said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:

Well this is the thing alot of these guys and girls are often british and just like the lifestyle, it's abit of a politically correct minefield
By British do you mean English? Because I haven't heard about Chavs being in Scotland. If you do mean English, why do people care if its pc or not? The US doesn't care if people look down or insult rednecks, skin head, wiggers, ect.
In Scotland we have neds... (Non-Educated Delinquent), but it's basically the same thing... maybe with slightly less fashion sense.
And a bigger fondness of knives

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
PC minefield is a minefield. But yeah i aint a hateful person but my god do these "groups" cause bloody choas around here.

Also enjoy

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Chav

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Razada said:
Volf99 said:
Razada said:
Volf99 said:
KLJT said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:

Roma are a Race of people from modern day Iran or Turkey and were treated worse then the Jews during the holocaust, they are still hated all across Europe because of the negative stereotypes that surround them
I hate to nitpick but I think you mean ethnic group, not race.
I hate to say it but people are what they define themselves to be. Plus are you saying it is impossible to be "Racist" unless you are hating on either Central Asians, Black people or White people? (As those are, essentially, the three "Races" when you get down to it. Oh, and jews, but that is more of a cultural thing. Which kinda brings me back to my point) You are still being a discriminatory bastard.

You do NOT use those terms in civilized society.

EDIT: To all of those using the word Gypo.

You are, without a doubt, scum.

Thankyou.
For discriminating against anyone based upon race, nationality, culture or creed. That is why I would define you as scum.

And as for there being no reason for being "Aggressive" in a thread? I would say you using such terms is an act of agression. You are choosing to use derogatory terms for a group of people despite said terms not being Ok and you knowing it. So you, ser, are the one being aggressive.

Aggressively racist, aggressively classist and just an all around dick.

Rastien said:
We used the term gypo, but we also used pikey which matey forgot to list ^^

I think the video below a comedy sketch by chris rock can vaguely touch on the subject :p as i said i got no issues with real Travellers Gypsies what ever the PC term is but in the south west most of these people are not this. They are mobile thugs.

If this makes me scum well fair shout x) ill trade your position on the ivory tower for living out in the sticks any day hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4
Oh, and naturally a "Real" traveller is someone you have not met. I mean, I dont hate black people, I just hate niggers. You know, you meet some nice black people, they aint niggers, they are black people. I have no problem with them. But the niggers that mug you and want to rape your sister, I hate them, the majority of black people being niggers.

Sorry for using an analogy so rife with racial slurs. However I believe it does get my point accross and might help you see what I see when I see people use such terms as "Gypo" or "Pikey".

They are not ok terms to throw around. No matter what your upbringing or where you are from says. Sorry.

Using them makes you a dick.

However, this is all horribly off topic, we were supposed to be talking about another group of disenfranchised people who are universally hated for no good reason!
what?! How am I racist for using the word Chav? I didn't even know what they are so I asked people who I thought would know. I'm also not familiar with gypsies or travelers so I asked about it. I'm from the US and so I'm not familiar with most of these terms. The only idea I have of gypsies is this: