What is a Chav?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
iFail69 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

They make England more comical, gives the rest of us something to laugh at, constantly.

They hang out on street corners, drinking cheap alcohol, making noise, and generally being an idiotic nuisance.
They are very annoying in close quarters though. And I'm tired of their jaws bruising my knuckles...
Robert Ewing said:
New subculture, eh? Care to explain? The current (annoying) subculture seems quite chavvy. Wearing tracksuit bottoms when you haven't done a day of exercise in your life, wearing those flat brimmed, puffed up baseball caps, shoplifting and having a problem with any authority figure on "principle". And the god awful pop music. AGH!

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
A chav is meant to be an annoying kid who hangs out on street corners and threatens people etc
But unfortunately it seems the middle class often get muddled up with "chav" and "working class" -.-

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
basically, chavs will live in council houses and probably on benefits. in scotland, they are also called neds, drink 'bucky' (Buckfast) and pick fights with anyone.
like hot-tubs and Jacuzzis, however, all chavs live off the government, but not all people living off the government are chavs.
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol
You know it's really racist to use terms like "pikey" and "gyppo", right?

If you mean Irish travellers or Roma, say so.
how can it be racist if they aren't a race? Last I checked, their White, right?
White is a race.
Caucasian.
though ethnic group is accurate.
and gypsies arent always there ('round here they come and go with the shows). chavs are. show me an overhead map of Tillicoultry, i can show you where to find chavs based on the time.
seriously, i'll fucking do it.
i want to try!

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Volf99 said:
Rastien said:
Volf99 said:
ms_sunlight said:
Rastien said:
mgirl said:
Rastien said:
That's actually a common misconception, the origin of the word was, (if I remember my A-level English correctly) a gypsy slang term that came into common use. The acronym thing isnt true, people have just made that up later on.
Very true! :) although it has commonly been accepted to stand for that in somerset although to be honest we have more trouble with pikeys and gypos stealing anything that isn't nailed down lol
You know it's really racist to use terms like "pikey" and "gyppo", right?

If you mean Irish travellers or Roma, say so.
how can it be racist if they aren't a race? Last I checked, their White, right?
Well this is the thing alot of these guys and girls are often british and just like the lifestyle, it's abit of a politically correct minefield
By British do you mean English? Because I haven't heard about Chavs being in Scotland. If you do mean English, why do people care if its pc or not? The US doesn't care if people look down or insult rednecks, skin head, wiggers, ect.
There are Chavs in scotland. Called Neds or Chavs.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
iFail69 said:

They make England more comical, gives the rest of us something to laugh at, constantly.

They hang out on street corners, drinking cheap alcohol, making noise, and generally being an idiotic nuisance.
Except if your a goth ... or just dress in dark clothes and have a piercing, like Sophie Lancaster or Melody McDermott.

Basically a chav is a guido but with less muscles, not Italian, poorer and as the name suggests violent. Chav stands for council housing and violence.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
FamoFunk said:
My good god. How did you come across this? The very dark side of YouTube is scary and hilarious.
Came across it years ago :') Ginger joe is by far my favourite!

Yeh man!

Les Awesome said:
Oh Snap!
Ginger Joe was Dope
He was like, and Little Fucking Kev was bangin...

My god i felt gimpish saying that :(

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
binnsyboy said:
iFail69 said:

They are very annoying in close quarters though. And I'm tired of their jaws bruising my knuckles...
Robert Ewing said:
New subculture, eh? Care to explain? The current (annoying) subculture seems quite chavvy. Wearing tracksuit bottoms when you haven't done a day of exercise in your life, wearing those flat brimmed, puffed up baseball caps, shoplifting and having a problem with any authority figure on "principle". And the god awful pop music. AGH!
They are extremely similar to chavs, if not identical, but they are no longer officially chavs.

I THINK the female chav demographic has split off from the whole chav demographic and have become known as 'skags' or 'Skanks.' I'm not sure though, but I think it's something along those lines.

But I know for sure that Chavs no longer want to refer to themselves as chavs, so have altered their behavior. Don't get me wrong, there may be some more around, but it's definitely becoming more unpopular.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Robert Ewing said:
binnsyboy said:
iFail69 said:

Robert Ewing said:
They are extremely similar to chavs, if not identical, but they are no longer officially chavs.

I THINK the female chav demographic has split off from the whole chav demographic and have become known as 'skags' or 'Skanks.' I'm not sure though, but I think it's something along those lines.

But I know for sure that Chavs no longer want to refer to themselves as chavs, so have altered their behavior. Don't get me wrong, there may be some more around, but it's definitely becoming more unpopular.
Well, if someone fulfills all the criteria to be a certain thing, a desire not to be associated with that thing doesn't change anything. I'd say they're still chavs, it's just now they're hypocritical wankers, too.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
That's the hilarious part, there's a large collection of teenagers who are aspiring to appear to be really scummy, unlikable fuckers.

I don't remember any 'group' when I was growing up that actively went out of their way to appear to be unevolved, badly dressed, incredibly thick wannabe petty criminals.

I always found metallers always wanted to look a bit 'hard' and goths always wanted to look 'outside of society, but can't think of anyone who actively did all they could to appear to be an unlikable, useless, borderline braindead dick.

If you're offended by this, then you're probably not part of the group I'm talking about, as you're able to read. Also, you're on a geeky site, and chavs ONLY play FIFA and MW, and only then if the disc was in the console when they stole it, else it goes down to Cash Converters for beer money.

Again, I'm not saying anyone looking a bit chavvy is a dick, but I just can't understand why you'd dress to look like an underachieving, untrustworthy, despised member of society when you don't have to.