What is a good game to just jump in and play.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
As the title suggests, I am currently in need of a game to just jump in and play when my friends aren't around to join in the fun. I've tried quite a few like Call of Duty, Battlefield, League of Legends, Planetside 2, Skyrim and more that I don't want to name so the list doesn't get too exaggerated. These are alright but I soon became exasperated with them all.

I'm the kind of player that always tries to win and have fun doing it. I'll play as best I can at all times, but eventually things just get stale if I'm not chatting with my friends at the same time.

I understand that if I got bored of these games that I will most likely tire of any others that are suggested, but I would like ot give it a shot anyway. Thanks in advance.

(BTW I play on PC)

captcha: "play ball!"
With who?

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Faster than light is a pretty good game to just jump in and play. I still haven't been able to finish it yet (got close but pirates all of a sudden became invincible haha). Or maybe one of the Counter Strike games but you mentioned some other shooters that you get bored of quickly so it could be another game you wouldn't want to play for too long.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Fallout 3 and NV are just as jump-inabble as Skyrim. Minecraft is also pretty good for it. Oh or Borderlands, usually when you enter a game you enter near where you left and don't lose much progress,

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
I find Valve games pretty easy to just pick up and go... Single-player wise you can't really go wrong with Half Life or Portal.

Or open world sandbox games like GTA, Saints Row or Just Cause 2 are also good options.

Surprisingly Xcom:EU is pretty good for this too, jump in, have a couple of missions every so often. Since each mission is essentially its own mini-game it's very easy to do it in small chunks when you get a spare hour or so.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Farmville I usually just play any fighting game if I dont have much time I can just drop in get some practice down in the training room or go a few bouts against the comp or online and then leave with the bonus of knowing that my short spurts are still leading me to improve upon my performance and understanding of the game to take it to new heights no matter how small my steps (and they are usually very small).

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Painkiller requires little more than reflexes and the checkpoints are fairly frequent. It's good, but only if you like that sort of thing, really.

RinguPingu

Mar 14, 2011
Tribes: Ascend is my current favorite game. Fast-paced, unique gameplay, and it's free to play! The skiing might take a short while to get used to, but it's usually a fast process. There's really no reason not to try it, if you haven't already.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
My go-to game for casual enjoyment when I'm alone is Kerbal Space Program! It's wacky and fun at the surface, but allows for some very deep and complicated stuff if you really want to get into it. The game is you controlling a nation of little green men known as "Kerbals", and your goal is... Well it's whatever you make it really, but the general idea is getting to space, to the moon (or moons! Kerbin, the earth-like planet you start on has two of them), and eventually to other planets and moons in your solar system. The game is very well simulated and has a reasonably strong modding community!

You build your space rockets, satelites, lunar landers etc. piece by piece in the hangar, setting up launch sequences and separation stages before taking your home-brewed design out to the launchpad to see if you can complete whatever mission you had in mind. It can be quite dramatic (and amusing) to see your huge spacecraft detonate before even getting off the launchpad. Then there is the painstaking search for what went wrong, and finally sweet success as you place your first communications satelite into orbit!

You can also design aircraft to fly within the atmosphere of Kerbin, but they are "space planes" and with good design it should be possible to get them into orbit aswell =3. Ground vehicles is also possible, but the core game mainly focuses on lunar rovers and such. With the great modding community this game has that isn't a problem, you can always find a mod that adds the parts you need! It is very minecraft-like in how it allows you to build very freely, and also in how you have to set your own goals in the world. It has a bit of a learning curve if you want to be good at it, but there are plenty of videos available... I have spent over 100 hours in this game, and I'm still nowhere near being bored! Loads of fun, highly recommended =3.

A free demo [http://kerbalspaceprogram.mediafire.com/?nfptdtbj1zwcyi7] is available at their Website! [https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/]

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
SSJBlastoise said:
Faster than light is a pretty good game to just jump in and play.
Agree. And I also still have't beaten it either!

Course my go-to game for when I game alone and don't have anything new to try is Borderlands 2. Leveling all 5 characters so the gameplay is slightly different keeping it from becoming too stale and the characters are so humorous it keeps the story from becoming boring no matter how many times I hear it.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
To play with friends or not I'd suggest Magicka, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress, Trackmania.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
League Of Legends, the game is catered to new people. Just jump in the game, pick someone with a blink type spell and you're golden

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Red Faction: Guerilla is a good shout, although there is a little bit of story before you're allowed to run amok but as soon as you get your super-hammer you can run through towns battering through walls and generally causing havoc.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm enjoying Defiance right now.

Doing quests with my friends while we gather gear for PvP.

The game has some kinks, but it's still new, and I expect more good changes via patching.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Warframe is where I ended up when I was recently looking for the same thing (though for totally different reasons).

It's kinda like vanquish goes free-to-play: you are a space ninja wearing a suit that gives you special abilities like a blinding flash or a decoy clone. After picking 1 of 3 starter suits, you are sent on mission after mission aboard space stations where the game's stongest point shines: spectacle combat. During the missions you pick up upgrades and money that'll eventually let you buy other suits and weapons. Missions can be done solo or in groups of up to 4, but teamwork is nearly non-existant other than reviving eachother.

What makes it easy to jump into is:
- It's free-to-play
- There isn't much lore or story
- Combat is easy to learn but hard to master

Downsides include:
- Mission variety is limited. The developers try to mask it by having different objectives but it always comes down to following the quest marker and killing everything along the way.
- The game clearly aims to be a spectacle fighter, but responsiveness just isn't up to the level of games like devil may cry or vanquish.
- As with most free-to-play games, unlocking new stuff without paying takes quite a grind. Combined with the limited mission variety this is by far the game's weakest point.
- Being still in beta, many things are poorly explained. Like how to make new suits or what the purpose of elemental damage is. Waframe.wikia.com is your friend.

Should you try it, here's a beginner's tip: all 3 starter suits are perfectly viable for new players, even though the description of some of them claims otherwise.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Trials Evolution, obviously. Had its PC release recently after an insanely successful year on XBL.

A game that has ZERO coverage around here, not as a official review, not in the forums (extremely puzzling, what's wrong with you people??!), but let me just say that, according to Steam, I've put in 400 hours so far. That is bollocks, of course, but it might just be a fitting number, because I start it up, ride a few rounds and proceed to exactly do that: alt-tab, and jump back in again every now and then.

In a way, the definition of a "casual" game - until it starts to send crack through your fingertips into your nervous system. Becomes as "hardcore" as it gets.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
purf said:
Trials Evolution, obviously. Had its PC release recently after an insanely successful year on XBL.

A game that has ZERO coverage around here, not as a official review, not in the forums (extremely puzzling, what's wrong with you people??!), but let me just say that, according to Steam, I've put in 400 hours so far. That is bollocks, of course, but it might just be a fitting number, because I start it up, ride a few rounds and proceed to exactly do that: alt-tab, and jump back in again every now and then.

In a way, the definition of a "casual" game - until it starts to send crack through your fingertips into your nervous system. Becomes as "hardcore" as it gets.
Also, to add to this, go and watch some of Rooster Teeth's lets plays of the game. Seriously, they will show you how fun that game can be.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Seems to me like you are looking for a game where you can have an complete gameplay experience, like completing a match/level. One very effective way of doing this in a "jump right in" style is online multiplayer. Halo, Call of Duty, League of Legends offer these types on play. Or, you could be on the lookout for an arcade game, which usually end up having short, fun levels.