What is best to make Rorschach's mask form?

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Monocle Man said:
In terms of the sensor for max heat, you'd want a negative feedback circuit programmed into it. Also, controlling the flow of electricity would be difficult, you'd need to carefully choose materials and batteries. Most of the "material like.." stuff is based around the gaps in my own knowledge of possible things.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Monocle Man said:
Labyrinth said:
Power = voltage²/resistance
^ To be fried or not to be fried
-snip-

Finally, when you're in a school band and performing, is there a spotlight on you? Because the added heat from the spotlight might screw the patterns up.
Labyrinth said:
Monocle Man said:
In terms of the sensor for max heat, you'd want a negative feedback circuit programmed into it. Also, controlling the flow of electricity would be difficult, you'd need to carefully choose materials and batteries. Most of the "material like.." stuff is based around the gaps in my own knowledge of possible things.
The equation is p = current^2 * resistance ( This is the variant of that same equation which gives out the most heat ). But really all that complex equipment to control the heating? What happened to simple fuses set to blow at an amperage just above the temperature you need. If it's an ohmic resistor you can easily calculate that voltage = current* resistance and buy a suitable fuse, attach to circuit. Ta dah. Microprocessors be damned =P

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
Emeli said:
Who's a rorscharch? Isn't that the inkblot thing?
He is talking about the character Rorschach from Watchmen because in the book he wore a white mask with black ink blots that would move around and look like various Rorschach Ink Blot tests.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
nekolux said:
Monocle Man said:
Labyrinth said:
-snip-

Finally, when you're in a school band and performing, is there a spotlight on you? Because the added heat from the spotlight might screw the patterns up.
Labyrinth said:
Monocle Man said:
The equation is p = current^2 * resistance ( This is the variant of that same equation which gives out the most heat ). But really all that complex equipment to control the heating? What happened to simple fuses set to blow at an amperage just above the temperature you need. If it's an ohmic resistor you can easily calculate that voltage = current* resistance and buy a suitable fuse, attach to circuit. Ta dah. Microprocessors be damned =P
P = U * I (why do the Americans use V for Voltage instead of U?)
P = U * U/R
P = U²/R
Alternatively,
P = U * I
P = (R * I) * I
P = I²*R

I know my basic electrics as long as it doesn't involve magnetism. Also, I used the one with only voltage and resistance because when you make a circuit you won't choose your current, you will choose your batteries and resistors.

And when you use fuses, it's not really going to work any more when one blows up, does it?
The other reason I suggest using temperature sensors and a microprocessor is because I do not know how hot X material of Y volume becomes at Z power and then it's just safer to set something that will regulate the temperature instead of just relying on a random formula you found on the internet.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Monocle Man said:
nekolux said:
Monocle Man said:
Labyrinth said:
-snip-

Labyrinth said:
Monocle Man said:
P = U * U/R
P = U²/R
Alternatively,
P = U * I
P = (R * I) * I
P = I²*R

I know my basic electrics as long as it doesn't involve magnetism. Also, I used the one with only voltage and resistance because when you make a circuit you won't choose your current, you will choose your batteries and resistors.

And when you use fuses, it's not really going to work any more when one blows up, does it?
The other reason I suggest using temperature sensors and a microprocessor is because I do not know how hot X material of Y volume becomes at Z power and then it's just safer to set something that will regulate the temperature instead of just relying on a random formula you found on the internet.
That's true however i would think the entire point of a fail safe is to make sure the thing doesnt harm anyone should it fail, in this case get too hot. Also it's not a random formula you found on the internet, it's grade school physics. P = I^2 * R is commonly known to be the major factor in energy lost during transmission ( in this case heat ), this is also the reason why you transmit power through cables at high voltages rather than high currents.

Having temperature sensors and a microprocessor isnt feasible ( if this idea is even slightly feasible in the first place ) because you already have enough trouble breathing as it is. Temperature sensors? It's an added layer of clutter and redundancy not to mention expense.

V = IR. Ohm's law. Not random internet formula =)
also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage
Voltage is commonly used as a short name for electrical potential difference. Its corresponding SI unit is the volt (symbol: V, not italicized).
Hmm why do i use the symbol V... hmmmm.... OH I KNOW! Maybe because it is the SI symbol?

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
nekolux said:
Monocle Man said:
nekolux said:
Monocle Man said:
Labyrinth said:
-snip-

Labyrinth said:
Monocle Man said:
P = U * U/R
P = U²/R
Alternatively,
P = U * I
P = (R * I) * I
P = I²*R

That's true however i would think the entire point of a fail safe is to make sure the thing doesnt harm anyone should it fail, in this case get too hot. Also it's not a random formula you found on the internet, it's grade school physics. P = I^2 * R is commonly known to be the major factor in energy lost during transmission ( in this case heat ), this is also the reason why you transmit power through cables at high voltages rather than high currents.

Having temperature sensors and a microprocessor isnt feasible ( if this idea is even slightly feasible in the first place ) because you already have enough trouble breathing as it is. Temperature sensors? It's an added layer of clutter and redundancy not to mention expense.

V = IR. Ohm's law. Not random internet formula =)
also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage
Voltage is commonly used as a short name for electrical potential difference. Its corresponding SI unit is the volt (symbol: V, not italicized).
Hmm why do i use the symbol V... hmmmm.... OH I KNOW! Maybe because it is the SI symbol?
I wasn't referring to the law of Ohm when I said "random formula from the internet", I was talking about a formula that says how much heat in °C is generated from a certain amount of Power in a resistor of a certain material and of a certain size (if it's the correct formula you found on the internet it won't be a random one either, though). If you happen to figure out the exact heat you would generate, then I suppose the heat sensor becomes a bit useless. And on second thought, the resistor heats up much faster than water would, so I suppose it never was useful.

And I was always told U is the SI-unit of voltage, coming from the Latin name for it. I would say it has to matter with the country, but what's the point of the SI if it's different everywhere?

Back to the microprocessor, you need to be able to switch from 2-4 patterns.
Many parts of those patterns overlap, almost every overlapped part has to be engaged or shut down individually or you would see multiple patterns through each other.
I think you'd use more wires if you would just use regular circuits.

On a microprocessor you could just make a circuit for every part, then for pattern 1 the processor would activate part 1, 2 and 3 while for pattern 2 it would activate part 2, 3, 4 and 7 for example.

When doing it without one the only way I can think of would be by creating a web of wires from resistor to resistor.
One that would be required to heat on 3 of the 4 patterns would require 3 sets of wires going to it.
Unless I'm not seeing something.

A fail safe in case something goes wrong would be very useful, I agree.