What is "curfew"?

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
I guess this is mostly aimed at americans, I seen the word a few time, and figure it has something to do with the law, or law enforcement.

Please explain :)

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Well, basically you have to return indoors and home by a certain time and there are very few exceptions if any.

The military generally makes these in certain or emergency situations such as martial law.

---

Parents can give a child a curfew as well.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curfew

Perhaps we should instead be discussing the usefulness of Google.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
cur·few   [kur-fyoo] Show IPA
noun
an order establishing a specific time in the evening after which certain regulations apply, especially that no civilians or other specified group of unauthorized persons may be outdoors or that places of public assembly must be closed.
a regulation requiring a person to be home at a certain prescribed time, as imposed by a parent on a child.
the time at which a daily curfew starts.
the period during which a curfew is in effect.
a signal, usually made with a bell, announcing the start of the time of restrictions under a curfew.

Was that really that hard?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
curfew is when an authority figure, either law enforcement, or even a parent, forbids dependants, usually children, from being out after a certain hour, either to help control crime or protect them from criminals.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
some countries i've heard have law enforced curfews, but not in the US as i've seen (though it is a general rule that after like... 10PM nobody under 16 is out and about almost EVER... and if they are cops can think something shady is going on... curfews (in my experience) are times that parents give their children as the absolute LATEST time that they can be out of the house. (though i never actually had one... i rarely went outside to begin with.)

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
The internet: Taking the place of the modern dictionary since people learned to type.

OT: Curfew, as described above, is a set time where you can be punished (either on a personal, family level or even on a legal / fatal level) for being out past. Say your family sets your curfew at 9pm (21:00), if you're out past that they can punish you for it. In times of 'crisis', the police, state governments, or even the military (if under Martial Law) can place a curfew. Violating THOSE ones are very bad for A) Your criminal record, or B) Your chances at living, in some (albeit extremely rare and far-fetched) cases.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Matthew94 said:
i think its where they cant be outside after a certain time

it sounds horrible

so much for the land of the free
There is no general curfew in the US. It is however very common for parents to set a curfew for their own children. Seriously, where are you getting your info?

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:

Indeed. Whenever I need something, be it lube, piano wire, bear mask, and baking soda, google is there to show me the way.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Woodsey said:

Google is incredible. Just last night I was idly curious about where the original Zealand (i.e. New Zealand) is, and seven seconds later I received an answer. I had to sit back for a moment and consider how much the internet has changed our lives.

(It's a province in the Netherlands.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It's pretty much a deadline/ restriction point of time to return back home in time which you are force to follow.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Xifel said:
I guess this is mostly aimed at americans, I seen the word a few time, and figure it has something to do with the law, or law enforcement.

A simple google search would have saved you some time.

http://tinyurl.com/3m86hdq

I take it you've never heard the word in context before? Such as "My curfew is midnight, dad will be pissed if I'm not back by then." One use of a curfew is after natural disasters when it's generally unsafe for anyone who's not emergency personnel to be on the roads. This happens alot after hurricanes here in the south as the power tends to go out over large swaths of areas. In instances such as those the police will fine if you're driving around after curfew without a good reason. (by good I mean medical emergency)

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
KeyMaster45 said:
Xifel said:

A simple google search would have saved you some time.

http://tinyurl.com/3m86hdq

I take it you've never heard the word in context before? Such as "My curfew is midnight, dad will be pissed if I'm not back by then." One use of a curfew is after natural disasters when it's generally unsafe for anyone who's not emergency personnel to be on the roads. This happens alot after hurricanes here in the south as the power tends to go out over large swaths of areas. In instances such as those the police will fine if you're driving around after curfew without a good reason. (by good I mean medical emergency)
OK, maybe I wasn't clear, I know what a curfew is, but i figured it had some other meaning, because I did not know anyone had it in peace-time.

Edit: I just try to figure out if that is something that is established law somewhere in the US.

Edit II: Don't be mean to me, I live in a country with a limited language!

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:

Indeed. Whenever I need something, be it lube, piano wire, bear mask, and baking soda, google is there to show me the way.
Okay, I was expecting "or" but I see an "and" instead. What the hell's the baking soda for?

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Xifel said:
I just try to figure out if that is something that is established law somewhere in the US.
Not permanently. Curfews can be declared for specific regions in emergency situations, such as New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, if the government decides it isn't safe for people to be outside at night.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:

Don't forget the whips and tampons.