What is the BEST Final Fantasu?

Sung-Hwan

Dec 13, 2014
So far, Lightning Returns stands out as my favorite of the lot. It was definitely worth playing XIII and XIII-2 for, as the rock solid gameplay and monstrous difficulty made for a really enjoyable experience among many other details. The jarring difficulty was certainly its defining aspect, and why it was not well-received among gaming journalists and Youtube celebrities that pass off as gamers; Jesse Cox, DSP, and Ben Croshaw could not even budge the game, and I myself was on the verge of quitting at some points (Caius...), but it was so satisfying when you get the hang of the brutal mechanics. The game as a whole, reminded me a lot of the first Dead Rising in terms of design, which I also loved back in the day.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
GabeZhul said:
RavingSturm said:
AuronFtw said:
RavingSturm said:
FF8 has interesting though extremely grindy system with horrible characters and story that seems forced.
Not even gonna touch on the story elements, but... grindy? Did you play the same FF8 I did? The one where you can choose not to have random encounters? The one where you can literally stop leveling any time you want to? The one where monsters scale to your level, so you can beat the game at any level? The one where you can turn items into other items, items into spells, and cards into items at will, making it relatively easy to acquire what would normally be a difficult thing to get?

You can play through the entire game without stopping to grind once. It's one of the only final fantasies where that's true. 8 has many problems, but grindiness is not one.
sorry but it is grindy. You get to transmog later but at the start you just keep drawing magic. Also dynamic monster leveling makes maxing out kinda pointless.
What are you talking about? Seriously, I hate to say this, but in this case you just played the game wrong. Aside of getting GFs out of some bosses you don't need to draw, ever. You can get every single spell in the game by using the RF abilities for a fraction of the time and effort and you get the most important ones (the three elemental RFs, the healer RF and the CardMOD ability) on the first four GFs.

Also, while the monsters level up with the characters, the bosses have fixed strength and unless you game the system (like abusing Triple Triad and CardMOD to deck everyone out with late-game spells and get Squall's Lionheart on Disk 1) they would be pretty hard on lower levels. But then again, that was one of the best parts of the game: you actually had to learn how to effectively Junction your characters instead of just grinding to beat the bosses, something a lot of people apparently didn't have the patience for.

That said, have you even played the game or are you one of those guys who just heard about the game (or watched Spoony's "reviews") and just parrot what you heard?

I played this before the internet was a thing and finished the game so I know how the junction system works. I wasnt one of the guys who tried to spam GF over and over just to kill a BiteBug. :) Who's Spoony?

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
The tactics series....
War Of The Lions, Advanced 1 and 2 .....
mostly because they're the least FF among all the FFs...
they're more compressed and contained in terms of story, which kind'f forbids them from going full retar@#!$R%...
Ahm "cough"....
CRAZY with their world building....
also they arguably feel more "western" than the other ones, which kind of eases entry for newcomers.... I guess ?

also there's an RPG called Grandia on the PS1....
go play that..... NOW.
Or ,you kne What....
EVeRYONne go play this one........ NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAoWWWW !!

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
RavingSturm said:
I played this before the internet was a thing and finished the game so I know how the junction system works. I wasnt one of the guys who tried to spam GF over and over just to kill a BiteBug. :) Who's Spoony?
Oh right, that mythical era when we actually had to buy magazines for reviews, cheats and secrets and when beating bonus-bosses was a badge of honor amongst friends. Good times.

As for Spoony, he is a mildly famous internet celebrity who did some scathing "reviews" on FF 8, 10, 10-2 and 13, though I would rather call them caustic entertainment shows instead, as his reviewer persona has a history of inflating the flaws of games and even inventing nonexistent ones just so that he can rage at them for comedic effect. One of his "raging points" was the superfluous drawing system in the game which you don't actually need to use at all and yet he introduced it as something you would have to do for hours at end in order to advance in the game, so I suspected you might have gotten your ideas about the game being grindy because of drawing from him.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
BigTuk said:
Thought I was the only one that hated 6. Who knew? Anyway, here are my abridged opinions on the ones I've played.

FF1: Solid gameplay, barely any story to speak of. Worth a play.

FF2: Meh gameplay, though the Dawn of Souls release kind of fixes it. Decent storyline.

FF3: Loved the DS re-release, job system was a joy to use. The addition of actual characters really helped.

FF4: Excellent story with memorable characters. Alright gameplay.

FF6: Just awful. Boring, repetitive gameplay, shallow one-note characters (a couple exceptions). Steer clear. (Though watch the opera scene on YouTube. Shining gem in the rough)

FF7: Decent story and characters, though it has problems. VERY solid gameplay, however.

FF8: It's... different. It was actually my first Final Fantasy after 1 and I loved it when I was younger, but these days I see there are stronger entries.

FF9: Haven't beaten it, but what I've played so far, I LOVE.

FF10: Great gameplay, leveling system is kind of ass though. Protagonist leaves something to be desired, but it's a pretty good game overall.

FF10-2: Best gameplay in the series, period. Just mute the story, it'll make you groan on a continuous basis.

FF13: I liked the characters, I just wish they were in a better game. Story is vague, gameplay is... meh. I didn't hate it as much as most people.

FF13-2: I couldn't get more than 5 hours in, it's so terrible. Buy it if you're into masochism.

FF14: Really good MMO. Solid, fun gameplay, and it has the best crafting system in any MMO (or game, really) I've ever played. Incredible soundtrack as well, even among this series, where even the awful games have amazing soundtracks.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
CutesySiren said:
Final Fantasy II. One of the most flexible customization systems in the series, coupled with a spell system that avoids obsolete magic tiers and an epic plot that introduced iconic elements to the series.

(I'm being slightly sarcastic here, but I do love the game. And Ricard Highwind > Kain Highwind any day of the week.)

And as an afternote, I will never cease to be amazed by how easily people can convince themselves of what "most" people think of well-received, best-selling games.
Im amazed someone actually thinks 2 was anything other than bad TBH (then again not many have played it me thinks) but each to their own just shows the series has a lot for everyone I suppose and I did finish it (that bloodsword is awesome).Not going to say your wrong for liking it either but it was not for me.

I actually went through all the main entries and numbered spinoffs when I was away for a year (excluding XIII as it wasnt out then) but I did finish XIII later and am right at the end of XII-2 (dont think I will ever finish because I did not enjoy it and was forcing my way through) I have also never touched XI, XIV (but want to try that one) or XIII-3 (XIIId out and I do not like most of the characters).

For me personally the top 4 most enjoyable were 1.FFVII 2. FFVI/FFX (draw) 3.FFIV. All the rest I could take or leave but I was glad I played these 4 but ofc everyone has their own likes and opinions.

Best way to be is go into each entry with as little expectations as possible and make up your own mind.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Final Fantasy IX, of course. I'm surprised you even had to ask. It's got a fantastic cast with my favorite lead from any game ever, a moving story with just enough innocence and fairytale influences to make it timeless, and a pretty damned good soundtrack.
The only thing that really lets it down is the combat, but it's certainly not bad enough to negatively affect my enjoyment of the game.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
FF IX takes my vote.

At first I thought I was going to hate it, having gotten used to final fantasy leaning towards cyberpunk or some form of scifi, and here we were back in ye olde medieval times? Felt almost like a step backwards.

But as I played, fell in love with this game and in time came to accept it as my favorite final fantasy.
Also it had the overall best OST of any FF game imo.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
FF6 is the best.

followed by FF4, FF9, FF 5, FF 10, and FF 3 for my top 5

with a nod to Mystic Quest for dat sound track, and Bravely Default for being the first great FF game in far to long.

as for everything else.

FF8, FF14, and FF Tactics are the only ones really worth playing.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
My fav will always be FF7. I just love that soundtrack, and the gameplay is really fun. I thought the story was pretty good, and the characters decent I guess. There were some great scenes, like Red XIII finding out about his dad *tears*, or the Aeris getting impaled scene, or the whole Shinra thing at the start where you wake up and there is blood everywhere, and Jenova escaped and dude is stabbed, oh my!

Second is prob FFX, best gameplay I find, I love that system, much more tactical. Voice acting is lol, but I can get past that, the characters are mostly meh aside from maybe Auron and Lulu, and Tidus is alright. I really enjoyed the overarching religion thing, I thought it was well done.

I might have to tie FFX with FF9. FF9 was such a surprise for me, I really enjoyed the themes it had going. The Zidane/Vivi dynamic was marvelous. Zidane was such a refreshing lead for me, every other lead in a FF or anything seemed to be so bleh, so depressed or something, but he was just full of optimism, he was great. Then when you are hit with the twist, it gets you right in the feels because he was such a happy guy and then you have to watch him struggle with such a revelation.

I think the the reason I like these the best is also because they all have strong soundtracks. Most of FF7 is fantastic from Jenovas theme, to Cosmo Canyon, to Shinras theme, to the bombing run. FF9 has rose of may, you're not alone, Melodies of life. FFX has my favourite song, to Zanarkand, also has Besaid Island, the Ronso mountain theme, the battle theme is great, the hymn of the fayth.

Bow before Uematsu!

Also, I don't know why, but the final boss music from FF2 is the best. Fits so well, sounds so good. Now I'm going off topic...

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
XI was the first FF game I played and thus it's my favourite. And it's beautiful; did you know there is almost no copy-paste art in it? Storywise I think VI wins though.

I enjoyed X's gameplay and SOME of the music. I actually enjoyed XII but I will agree that it's got too much stuff to do; I still haven't finished it >_>

And those are the only FF games I've played. I tried playing VII but I guess I'm too much of a graphics nut; them polygons just kill it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
4, probably. It's mostly the only one I can remember; the rest simply leave me in a delirious state, my mind chocked full of improbable haircuts, phallic swords, and bishies in thongs. But 4 left a lasting impression on me.

And as much as I hate X-2 in every single God damn way, from the sexy 14 year old girl and the fact that it was Charlie's Angels but much less original or cheesy, the class-job system is the best in the series.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Rayce Archer said:
I thought that title was a portmanteau of "Final Fantasy" and "pantsu," as in "which Final Fantasy game has the best panty shots?" To which I guess I would say A Realm Reborn is pretty panty-tastic.
Guess I know what I'm subscribing to.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I'm going to take the oddball choice and go with Final Fantasy XII.

I played 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and Tactics just to clarify what I have experienced of the series, I really like FFT but I won't consider it in the main line-up.

For me Final Fantasy XII really hit all the right notes for me, after FFVII I realized that the Final Fantasy series has become one of reinvention, and instead of just building off what worked previously, they scrap everything with each release and start over. For a long time I lamented this approach until I played FFXII.

So here's a few bullet points on why I think it's great:

-Gambit System: Once you figure it out and get a few hours into the game to acquire decent gambits, this becomes one of the best ways I've ever seen of setting up auto-battles giving you implicit control over how character AI works. My only lament is that it wasn't more robust but it worked very well and it made grinding a breeze as you just set up your gambits and walk around the landscape letting your team mop up.

-Hunt System: As a fan of extra content and side-quests, the hunt system was a thrill. The ability to hunt increasingly more difficult enemies, the majority of which are boss-level. I love when games give you a reason to backtrack to areas and experience them again and unlock secrets.

-Secrets: Good lord this game has tons of secrets, some are annoying (like how you get the Zodiac Spear) but others are great like finding hidden Espers, secret bosses, hard-to-find hunt club enemies, powerful weapons & armor

-The World Lore: Ivalice is my favorite setting of any Final Fantasy, it's distinctly high fantasy with a hint of steampunk with it's magically powered airships. I love the varied races in the world, and they did a fantastic job of making them feel like they belonged in this world.

-The Bestiary Codex: I loved how not only could you unlock info about any enemy you defeated but defeat a set number and you unlock background lore about the game's world as well.

-Sky Pirate's Den: This is like an achievement system, but it was really fun to play with.

-Being able to switch party members out mid-battle: You could only have 3 guys on screen at once, but as long as someone wasn't taking an action or being attacked you could rotate them out for another party member.

-HUGE open areas: Unlike the more linear games in the series, FFXII's areas were comprised of multiple connected maps each one very large and open, it was really fun to explore and the world felt big and alive. I also loved how lively and crowded the cities felt.

-Very challenging bosses: The main reason you shouldn't rely too heavily on the gambit system; The bosses are tough as nails! Numerous bosses will put all kinds of nasty debuffs on you and have very specific immunities and weaknesses that you can exploit. If you don't set your team up properly you'll end up with a giant circle of everyone healing each other trying to stay alive and nobody attacking the enemy.

-Realistic Loot System: You NEVER get money from killing monsters, you get various items that make sense to those creatures like hides and teeth that you can then sell for money, and even unlock special bazaar packages for selling them in specific quantities.

-The Story: While I don't really care for 2 of the character Vaan and Penelo since they were just kinda thrown in there, I did really enjoy the story, and it is very interesting and politically charged with some really cool moments.

-Connection to other games: FFXII shares the same world as Final Fantasy Tactics although removed several centuries or more, but playing both and finding the connections in the story particularly in the Espers is really interesting!

-Great Battle System: While very quirky and different, the battle system just works. The Gambit system comes together great with everything, you can still give manual command to your characters, enemies are present on the field and you can move around and run away in real space and aren't limited to just menues, there's chain combo attacks that increase the quality of loot that drops, and different enemies actually react to each other's presence and have great AI.

The game is certainly not without it's flaws, the license board while not bad per se ends up making everyone in your party cookie-cutter interchangeable half-way through the game and there's little class distinguishment. There are also some infuriating parts that encourage save scumming and relying on guides to not miss special one of a kind items or hidden bosses.

Still I think in the main series it is my favorite of all of them!

Jun 11, 2008
GabeZhul said:
RavingSturm said:
AuronFtw said:
RavingSturm said:
FF8 has interesting though extremely grindy system with horrible characters and story that seems forced.
Not even gonna touch on the story elements, but... grindy? Did you play the same FF8 I did? The one where you can choose not to have random encounters? The one where you can literally stop leveling any time you want to? The one where monsters scale to your level, so you can beat the game at any level? The one where you can turn items into other items, items into spells, and cards into items at will, making it relatively easy to acquire what would normally be a difficult thing to get?

You can play through the entire game without stopping to grind once. It's one of the only final fantasies where that's true. 8 has many problems, but grindiness is not one.
sorry but it is grindy. You get to transmog later but at the start you just keep drawing magic. Also dynamic monster leveling makes maxing out kinda pointless.
What are you talking about? Seriously, I hate to say this, but in this case you just played the game wrong. Aside of getting GFs out of some bosses you don't need to draw, ever. You can get every single spell in the game by using the RF abilities for a fraction of the time and effort and you get the most important ones (the three elemental RFs, the healer RF and the CardMOD ability) on the first four GFs.
I know this has kinda died down a bit but I'd like to say while that is all very true I found that this is one of the things that kinda made FF VIII feel stale for me after awhile. Once you got over the initial hump and learned how it worked I found it was far too easy to make your characters broken OP along with stuff like the Aura spell and Meltdown. Did you feel Aura was a bit broken as well or what did you think of it?