What is the best game you have bought that you knew nothing about

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Have you ever gone into a games store and bought a game that you knew nothing about, buying it purly because of the box or shop assistant.

At the moment it seam rare that a new game goes out without the world knowing, but what is the best game you have ever bought of which you know nothing about it bar what is writen and drawn on the box...or the worsed game if your experiances with this sort of buying has been bad for you.

My examples I bought Prototype, before getting it i had heard nothing of it, in face i was going to get fallout 3 but i thought humm that looks cool bam i got it, got it home wow this is amazing.
With the runner up being chrome, a budget title i got for £3 i was not unimpressed with it kept me hooked for a good few hours

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
More recently i blindly bought prototype for... some reason... That game was so much fun.
But when i was a kid i bought Grandia purely because it was cheap. One of my favourite games of all time.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
A bit off topic: I actualy didn't like Prototype that much. And no it's not because I'm some violence-hating pussy, it's just that the story made me wanna die. + Alex Mercer = / = Cool ..hole space.. Alex Mercers Powers = Cool
On topic: Team Fortress 2

pipboy2010

Aug 24, 2009
The closest I've come to that is The Witcher. I'd just bought a new PC, and wanted to buy a brand new game to test it (I'd been buying budget games for ages because my previous PC was a bucket of bolts). I'd only read a tiny bit about it, but saw the box, and thought "Yup, that's the game for me." And I never looked back...

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
KOTOR, back in the day. I knew it was star wars and knew it was an RPG, but had never been a huge a fan of either, so was questioning buying it all the way home. I can safely say I have never regretted it since that first time i played it. Mostly I try and find out about a game, usually by borrowing or playing a mates copy, before buying.

Yudas

Apr 30, 2009
I kinda blindly happened upong metal gear solid 1 in my childhood. Gaming was never the same since.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Mass Effect. I preordered it because the cover art caught my attention and the blurb on the back of the case seemed interesting. I placed my preorder, then I read some reviews on it the day before I went to pick it up. Turns out I made a good decision.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Oblivion, I got it by a very vague recommendation from a friend and all I can say is, it rocked. Even though I got my arse kicked again and again as I had no idea how to play.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
When I was younger, I used to just buy random games for my PS2.
I was lucky that almost all of them were fantastic.
Ratchet & Clank, Freedom Fighters, even Call of Duty (I'd never heard of it).

TheOrangeSocks

Aug 16, 2009
The Godfather.. I bought it for 8 swedish crowns, the equivalent to 60 pence or about a dollar.. I got about 20 solid gaming hours for those 8 crowns..

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Fallout 3. I rarely research games to begin with, but I picked this one up blind due to the contrast of the front and back pictures; and thought it looks interesting. It was also £6 from a supermarket (o_O), so I thought 'why not?'.

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
something called sniper elite for about 5 AUD i just like the box art same with supreme commander

trog08

Jul 24, 2009
I do it all the time. First game I remember picking up randomly was Diablo 2. Then i got FFX, Devil May Cry and recently Oblivion, Fallout 3 and inFamous.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I had absolutely no idea what it was when I bought it, and it turned out to be my favourite game ever, so worked out nicely.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I got oblivion because (no lies) a friend of a friend said it was good once (i mean actually he said it once). I went and ordered it 5 mins after he left. I was in a random mood. Best game i ever got for no aparent reason.

milkoy

Apr 28, 2009
I brought Beyond Good and Evil with no idea of what it was beside from the picture on the disk, and it blew me way, still one of my top 10 games.

Glass_House

Jun 29, 2009
I bought SWKOTOR purely because the box looked interesting and it had pictures of people with lightsabers on the back. Turns out to have been one of my favourite games of all time. Go figure.

Also CoD2 back in the day. I'd never heard of Call of Duty and I thought it was fantastic.