What is... The coolest thing you THINK you own?

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
I would like to say most of my costume parts. A lot of the cosplays that I've owned or received as gifts I tend to cherish as achievements. This includes one of my original characters (although I'm too embarrassed to say which one), Satoko Hojo from Higurashi, Ezreal from League of Legends, and Calvin from C&H. Bizarre, I know, but *I* think it's cool.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Definitely my grandfather's sword collection. Over 30 different swords ranging from broad swords, rapiers, katanas fencing foils, and a bunch of others. Plus the two Master Sword replicas I've gotten myself. ;)

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I don't really have anything that cool but I'm bored enough to answer anyway. Coolest thing I own is probably my art and making of book for District 9. I would collect art books but the good ones tend to be expensive (understandably). I saw the Alice Madness returns one in the store the other day. WAAANT!

Edit: I just brain farted. I have a signed copy John Howe's (concept artist for Lord of the rings) art book. Derrp. I don't know why I forgot about that.

64bitgamer

Oct 29, 2009
Well I have a copy of the New York Times from the day after we landed on the moon. It's not in super great shape or anything. It's over forty years old so the paper is yellowed, but the news print is all in one piece and readable. I have a piece of cardboard in the center to maintain the fold, and its in a piece of plastic wrap for protection. One of these days, I want to get it framed, I'm just not entirely sure if I need to cut out the first page, or if its really possible to put the whole thing on display.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
64bitgamer said:
Well I have a copy of the New York Times from the day after we landed on the moon. It's not in super great shape or anything. It's over forty years old so the paper is yellowed, but the news print is all in one piece and readable. I have a piece of cardboard in the center to maintain the fold, and its in a piece of plastic wrap for protection. One of these days, I want to get it framed, I'm just not entirely sure if I need to cut out the first page, or if its really possible to put the whole thing on display.
I'm a picture framer, and it is indeed possible to put the whole thing on display, however, depending on how you go about it, can be DAMN expensive to do so.

Only thing i would make sure as a must when you frame it is to use conservation grade (at a minimum) glass, which will protect it from 99.9% of UV light, and keep it pristine for a good length of time.. decades.

Do NOT cut out the first page. Keep it intact. If you don't want to be leafed through at all, it is possible to seal the entire paper between two pieces of high quality glass, keeping it nice and flat as well as protected. Make sure if you do this though that the glass is coated first with an acid free laminate that won't absorb ink, may take some time finding it, or else one day you may need to replace the glass for some reason and it will have eaten all of the ink off the paper when you take it off.

I would check with a local framer or a local museum on the best way for to preserve your piece of history. I haven't personally worked with old newspaper myself, so i'm just listing things off that occur to me could cause issues.

But yeah, be careful keeping it in plastic wrap, as if any moisture gets in, that is going to cook it and kill it.

On topic...

Coolest thing i own..

1972 Custom built fender telecaster probably takes the cake.

Although i do love my Songbird statue...

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
The coolest thing I own?

Well... Now that I think about it I don't really own that much, and this thread is only compounding that fact...

I suppose the coolest thing I own is a 1985 Porsche...
I've been working on it for a while now, but it's still far from complete as a restoration job...

But, yeah... That's probably the coolest thing I own at the moment...

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
There are a few things I really think are cool, but if I had to choose, I'd say the coolest thing I have is a few chunks of coral that I got from a friend of mine. He got them in the 60-70's, so they're older than I am, and not to mention that removing coral is illegal now, so its irreplaceable. I love my coral chunks

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
I have a Hot Wheels 'Back to the Future' toy car, still in its packaging which is signed by Christopher Lloyd. That's probably the most mainstream cool thing I own. I have a couple of comics signed and doodled in by the authors, which I cherish dearly, but they're all niche comics that I don't think too many people here would know.

Still, as far as cool things go, I don't think something needs to be rare or signed to be cool. I have a pocket watch that is an exact replica of the one from Doctor Who. The official one is phenomenally sub-par by comparison. I'm going to get the battery mechanic in it replaced with a wind-up one and then it will probably be the coolest thing I think I own.

Also I have a huge collection of Doctor Who DVDs and it only grows with each fortnight. Pretty soon, it'll be as close to complete as a Doctor Who DVD set can get.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Both Tomba/Tombi games with cases and booklets. Also the limited Loot Chest from Borderlands 2. Oddly, I don't have it on display, and I ask myself every once in a while why that is. Myself has no idea either.
EDIT: Oh yeah, I have an oversized Luffy trading card from that contest when they tried to make a One Piece tcg happen. It didn't happen, but I still like it.

And a limited (7,500 were made) Crash Bandicoot Bobblehead they gave out for pre-ordering Wrath of Cortex.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
It's not much, but they have great sentimental value to me.
This past Christmas I got three, still in box, Turok statues and action figures.

The two figures are the Primagen, and Adon.

The statue is this rather neat looking setup of Turok just about to stab a raptor trying to eat his face.

I grew up loving the Turok series, comics and all (though I don't know where my comics went anymore...), so when my parents both bought me them I was pretty thrilled. The boxes are a little worn, but they are still unopened, and they now sit above my bed on the wall.

Other than that, I'm always happy to show off my gaming PC. Nope, it has no flashy lights, and it's nothing special. But I built it myself searching endlessly for the best parts, new or used. I like impressing my console gaming friends with what the computer is capable of.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I'm sure I could think of a lot of things, I use to own one of the very first Star Wars Light Saber made by the Kenners company, it was called "The Force" Lightsaber, I loved that thing, who knows where it is now.

I don't think anyone will be jealous of this but it's pretty cool:

Anyone remember the Bone comic series by Jeff Smith? Well when I was just a kid, my brother and I were HUGE fans of the series and have SO many collector items of it. I have the complete collectors cards of the series (you know those cards that were really popular back in the 80s and 90s, they weren't trading cards but were picture cards with info on the back) and right in front of me I have three collectors pins of the three main Bone characters, Phoney Bone, Smiley Bone and Fone Bone. It's complete and in it's original packaging and in mint condition, it has it's number on it of how many were made, this one is the 1703rd out of 2,500 and it's signed by Jeff Smith himself.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I just want to start by saying that the emphasis in the thread title is hilarious. As written, you're asking us to identify something that we believe we own that we think is coolest. The wording and bolded THINK implies that we're supposed to state something that we don't actually own, but think we do. To be fair, everyone's responses fit this description if there's a cat in the house, and the internet does love its cats.
A more accurate phrasing would have been "What do you think is the coolest thing you own".
But I digress...
I think the coolest thing I own is probably a "custom tailored" royal blue suit. I submitted my measurements to a seller on ebay, and a couple weeks later, it was mine. I don't know if I measured wrong, or if Chinese labor is just what it used to be, but the shoulders on the jacket, as well as the inseams of the pants were a bit tight. Still, I personally feel great suited up in bright, primary colors and will probably get a real tailor to do it right when I'm out of college.
Either that or my portable speaker shaped like a Zaku head. The sound quality is trash, but it's a great display piece.
Oh, or my official Monty Python coconuts. Same reason as above.
Leemaster777 said:
This guy is freaking amazing. Comes with FIVE cassette robos, has a MASSIVE range of articulation, and he transforms into a cassette player, just like the classic toy. He's about as perfect a collector's toy of Soundwave as you could ever hope to have.
That certainly looks great from a display standpoint, but have you considered a different Soundwave from a practical standpoint? There's a transforming Soundwave figure that doubles as an MP3 player, and I believe there's an earphone set that puts Rumble and Frenzy on your head. The Soundwave takes an SD card, so he can presumably hold 32GB if you upgrade him. (Older formatting means it probably can't go larger)

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I have a darth vader lightsaber from ROTJ.
I have a large book collection including some of them signed.
I have some band posters signed directly to me by bands that I was good friends with.
I have some of my RvB dvds signed by the guys and gals at Rooster Teeth.
I have a pretty nice sword/dagger/knife collection.

But my favourite thing I own (despite what the U.S. government may say on the topic) is my own body. And my tattoo and my piercings. *shrugs* I think I'm the coolest thing I'll ever own and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Oh and some Star Wars figurines and some of the older versions of buildable ship models that I need to build and paint when I have the room to do so.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
ccggenius12 said:
That certainly looks great from a display standpoint, but have you considered a different Soundwave from a practical standpoint? There's a transforming Soundwave figure that doubles as an MP3 player, and I believe there's an earphone set that puts Rumble and Frenzy on your head. The Soundwave takes an SD card, so he can presumably hold 32GB if you upgrade him. (Older formatting means it probably can't go larger)
Ah yes, Music Label Soundwave. I'm familiar with him. Don't own one myself, and frankly, now that I've got Masterpiece Soundwave, I have zero interest in picking one up.

The thing with Music Label Soundwave is that 1. He's a bit expensive on the secondary market. 2. He's just overall not as good as Masterpiece, and 3. While being a functional MP3 player IS kinda neat, you have to actually consider... am I actually going to USE that thing? I, for one, would NEVER drag a figure THAT expensive around everywhere I want to listen to music, when I could just take my tiny, cheap iPod.

I'm not saying he's awful or anything, but simply put, he pales in comparison to Masterpiece Soundwave, both in quality and value.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
The coolest things I own is this handmade native american doll. Its a Navajo doll that my great grandmother gave me.
[http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/Robert_Marrs/media/1901435_700224926686793_323637639_n_zps155d57fa.jpg.html]

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
I have wintersun time 1 media book signed by all the band members and I have anna murphy's solo album and poster signed by her yes everyone who backed her album got one I don't care eluveitie is an awesome band and she's made an awesome cd that I love

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
ccggenius12 said:
I just want to start by saying that the emphasis in the thread title is hilarious. As written, you're asking us to identify something that we believe we own that we think is coolest. The wording and bolded THINK implies that we're supposed to state something that we don't actually own, but think we do. To be fair, everyone's responses fit this description if there's a cat in the house, and the internet does love its cats.
A more accurate phrasing would have been "What do you think is the coolest thing you own".
I realized that much, but I meant it more as What do you think is cool?, again, I own a copy of Elm Street 5 on VHS, but nobody gives much credence to it, despite it only ever releasing on VHS unrated in the US and in Germany on Laserdisc, but a Limited Edition movie poster of Alien, some people might think is legitimately cool.

Plus, I wanted to emphasize one word, and THINK made the most sense.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Well, pretty much anything I've gotten an autograph of at a convention qualifies, as long as you know who autographed it. Examples include:
A)Patrick Seitz signing my Blazblue: Continuum Shift Cover, and writing "Ragna was here" on the side of it
B)Tia Ballard signing the cover of one of my Rosario + Vampire novels (the one with Mizore on it, obviously) and drawing a heart over Mizore's face
and probably my personal favorite, My issue of One More Day signed by Linkara himself. He also threw it on the ground when I handed it to him, and gave me the worst death glare ever. Really made my day

Close Qualifiers include: My Thwomp plushie, my Duck of Doom plushie, my Baron von Blubba (you have no idea how hard I geeked out when I saw him.) plushie, and my "Monobear Theater" tee-shirt. Once again, all bought at conventions, more specifically Youmacon. Cons have all the best stuff.