What is the hardest challenge that you've ever set yourself in a videogame?

Sieg Firebrand

Nov 19, 2009
This has come about because, for some reason, I have decided to try and collect every piece of armor in Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite. It's taking alot of time..... 120 hours so far and I've haven't even got all of the low rank armors yet. So I figured other people must have experiences like this.

So, What is the hardest/ stupidest/ craziest challenge that you have ever set yourself in a game?

(This doesn't include achievements, this is solely challenges that have no reason or gain to them)

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I tried to collect all those flags in the first Assassin's creed.
I didn't try for long.

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Tried to go through all of Saints Row 3 just dick punching people. Worked until I got to a brute.

Wanted to be uber l33t pro and get 1000 combo in GoW3....Yea that was dumb.

Uhm.

Thought I could play an entire games life span (I believe it was MW2) only using pistols.

Wanted to beat Kingdom Hearts 2 on the hardest difficulty without ever using drive forms.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I suppose not starting a new game of Persona 4 when my stupidly underleveled first character was getting completely stomped counts.

To put it into perspective, Those 10 auto-revive potions you get on Easy Mode? I used the last one at the end of the damn Strip Club. That's not even halfway through the game!

I felt like I owed my character an ending so I couldn't just leave him there... Yukiko deserves a mention too since she was carrying the entire game herself. Yukiko is awesome.

I also have an in-built challenge in Batman: Arkham City where everything I do must be extremely melodramatic at all times. It's pretty much a requirement if i'm playing Batman.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
In oldschool jrpgs . When i didn't have many videogames , i did a run where i would use the starting weapon all through .
final fantasy 4
Final fantasy 6
Legend of legaia ( no weapons run )
Final fantasy 13 ( although i never upgraded anything on my first playthrough because i didn't understand how it worked it was still pretty easy)

Those are the ones that come to mind first but i know i did it in other games too.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Try to get through Dark Souls without dying once. And I totally failed, I really hate The Bed of Chaos. Then there was The Witcer 2 with only basic swords, that also failed. Also, Deus Ex one "Consulation Prize Mode" which was points only in Swimming and Posion Resistance, that worked but only because you can succeed in pretty much any way on Deus Ex. Silent Storm with only pistols: FAILED. Jagged Alliance Back In Action normal playthrough: FAILED (That game is just a challange to play due to how bad it is). Alpha Protocol Shotguns Only: SUCCESS!. and Master of Orion 2 Peaceful Victory: FAILED

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I finished Fallout 3 armed with nothing but a kitchen knife. It was going alright until I remembered that Deathclaws came pre-equipped with several kitchen knives at their fingertips and are predisposed to hugging you vigorously.

Not so much a challenge in-game, more of a language barrier, but I was determined to play FFV on my SNES so I took the time to familiarize myself with katakana and hiragana. I'm about 3/4 through now.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Hmm, the only thing I can think of is going through FFVII using only one of the enemy skill materias. That thing is overpowered if you have one on all three of your party members, so I decided to only use one the entire way through. I also made it so that certain characters are limited to using certain kinds of materia.

It certainly made the game more fun and challenging, I ended up using materia I've never really used before, such as cover, shield, ect. Plus the final battle was much more tense without having big guard or white wind on command at all times.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Finishing a RHEM game without a walkthrough. I managed to complete the 3rd game the first time I played it. Took me 38 hours - not bad considering these are possibly the hardest games ever made. I'm going to be moving onto the 4th soon.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
I also have an in-built challenge in Batman: Arkham City where everything I do must be extremely melodramatic at all times. It's pretty much a requirement if i'm playing Batman.
Interesting, tell me more..

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Probably the hard mode 9% run on Metroid: Zero Mission. (That's the lowest possible in the EU version. It's 10% in the US one.) That means just 99 energy, 2 missiles and no super missiles. Also no long beam or charge beam. I got all the way to Mother Brain and even beat her, but couldn't get through the escape sequence without the speed booster, because hard mode gives you so little time.

Another one that I haven't managed to finish yet is Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (which is by far the hardest of the DS ones) on hard with the level cap set to 1. I got pretty far, though. Maybe I'll get it done one day.

Also, beating Contra 4 on hard difficulty without using continues was pretty tough, but that I actually managed to do.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
The Witcher 2 on Nightmare mode.

That did not last very long, until it did, after that rage ensued.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I got the 1000 Deathmatch games and 1000 Dark Ops games achievements in Perfect Dark Zero.
I also got 100% in Bully.
A friend and I are trying to play through all the Legends of the Waste misions in Rage on the super hard difficulty--actually a really good challenge.
I recently got to level 50 (the max level) in Ass Creed Brotherhood--there's probably 20 people who still play it and half of those are level 50 guys using the games equivalent to the noob tube.
Current trying to do all the challenges in Saints Row 3, but that doesn't count because it's such a fun game.
EDIT: Oh yeah and I'm play SR3 on hardcore. It was actually really hard at first--I almost got killed by a guy with a baseball bat--but then I bought a couple of the character upgrades. On lower difficulty settings those things make you way to over-powered, get rid of just about all the challenge, but on hardcore they kind of balance things out some. I still refuse to buy the 'No Bullet Damage', 'Unlimited Ammo', and 'Tank Delivery' upgrades though.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
The Wykydtron said:
Interesting, tell me more..
Here's a few examples I can think of at the moment:

It is extremely important that you let all the animations go all the way through whenever possible. That is to say for example don't cancel the land animation with movement. You could use your dive attack shockwave to instantly destroy a group of guys or you can casually land in the middle of them all and watch them freak out cuz hey it's Batman!

It is also important that whenever there is one guy left you turn your back to him and walk (not run) away as if you didn't notice him. You then do a backwards counter for maximum coolness.

As a rule walk > run whenever possible.

Oh and chill in rafters for an extra minute when there's one guy left in a stealth room just to watch him scurry around in terror for a bit. Once you decide to actually progress land behind him (again don't cancel the animation) walk up to him, wait for him to randomly turn around then punch him in the face.

The gun jammer is your best friend at this point.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
It is extremely important that you let all the animations go all the way through whenever possible. That is to say for example don't cancel the land animation with movement. You could use your dive attack shockwave to instantly destroy a group of guys or you can casually land in the middle of them all and watch them freak out cuz hey it's Batman!

It is also important that whenever there is one guy left you turn your back to him and walk (not run) away as if you didn't notice him. You then do a backwards counter for maximum coolness.

As a rule walk > run whenever possible.

Oh and chill in rafters for an extra minute when there's one guy left in a stealth room just to watch him scurry around in terror for a bit. Once you decide to actually progress land behind him (again don't cancel the animation) walk up to him, wait for him to randomly turn around then punch him in the face.

The gun jammer is your best friend at this point.
That sounds like the best play through of Batman ever.
I shall start this in the morrow but everthing I do will have Batman commontary,
from me, in a Batman voice, being melodramatic.
/Batman on "And I was going to let you leave." /Batman off

Edit: oops forgot to write abit before I posted..
I got to the final boss of Final Fantasy IX in one sitting, just about killed me.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I tried doing a one life run of Contra: Hard Corps on the Megadrive/Genesis.

It did not go well.

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
Sieg Firebrand said:
This has come about because, for some reason, I have decided to try and collect every piece of armor in Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite. It's taking alot of time..... 120 hours so far and I've haven't even got all of the low rank armors yet. So I figured other people must have experiences like this.

So, What is the hardest/ stupidest/ craziest challenge that you have ever set yourself in a game?

(This doesn't include achievements, this is solely challenges that have no reason or gain to them)
The level in Super Meatboy "I want to be the guy." After dying over 100 times over the course of many weeks, I gave up forever.