What is the hardest country to invade?

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
The United States. It's surrounded by huge oceans on both sides, the only way into the US from the South is through a relatively narrow stretch, and the North is Canada, which is just barren emptiness.

Yeah, Russia and China are huge, but they've been invaded before. Even when the Brits invaded the states, they stuck mainly to the East Coast.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Miles Bruce-Mitchell said:
I imagine Peru would be a good challenge, since, y'know, the Amazon hates everyone.
Tell that to the Incan empire and Francisco Pizzaro. You don't to travel the rainforest to get around all of Peru and natives have made probably the biggest military botches in history. See 7,000 men losing to 150 dudes with a few horses.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
RhombusHatesYou said:
JacobShaftoe said:
Truth be told, most non-veteran soldiers crap their pants the first time they're shot at
Veterans having learned to shit their pants before battle.
your both right and wrong even the vets have a hard time even firing there weapon and also the civiis wouldent be using semi automatics because they will have automatics anyways and most who have those are already trained entusiast's or Exmilitary

KingFall

Sep 18, 2010
Huh. Canada, all around. The US and Canada have been... 'buddies' for a damn long time. I would go so far to say that if you invade one, the other would hesitate very, very briefly to jump right in and fuck up your day. I like Canada, and Canadians, and I'm from the US. I'd help even if my country didn't. Though, like I said, we would. Yay Canada! We got yer back, bro. -ahem-

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Why all the Russia love? Too much weight placed on Hitler and Napoleon I suppose...but everybody forgets Ghengis...

United States.

Worlds leader in Military technology, GDP spent on defense, and military ability put aside...it comes down to economics and domestic resources. The US has the worlds 3rd largest population, largest GDP, largest industrial base, largest domestic oil reserves outside the Middle East and second largest land area. Not to mention the fact that the average American has historically 'rose to the task' when it's leaders have called for it, to a level that makes the Russian 'Protect the Motherland!' to shame.

Russia's primary advantage is weather, something they can't even control. Their terrain advantages are simply based around the distances involved something that modern warfare has made a much less pressing issue. Rememeber that the failed invasions of Russia involved armies who were using leg infantry and wagons (Napoleon and Hitler) while the sucessful invasion and conquest was undertaken by extremely mobile forces (the Mongol Hordes). While the physical barriers in place, the bulk of Russia's population and industry is on the Western side of the Urals, the main barrier that Russia possesses on land.

America's natural barriers involve two major oceans, and two massive mountain chains, plus a major north-south river dividing the country into several portions. The east coast stretching from Boston to Atlanta is more or less urbanized and semi-urbanized terrain interspersed with forests, the West coast boasts numerous mountain ranges interspersed with thick forests, deserts and heavily urbanized areas. The southern route through the Gulf Coast has the disadvantage of being swampland and thick forest, while most major seaports and coastal zones are urbanized. None of that is condusive to modern mechanized warfare. Take the tanks, APC's and Trucks out of the equation and America makes Russia look like a walk in the park. You need to get over the Rockies or the Appalachians before you can even get to those placid rolling fields that are so lovely for tanks.

IF we're looking at Nations who are simply cost prohibitive to invade, don't think Russia. Russia has beaten off invasions, they've never really DISCOURAGED invaders. Two German invasions, a French invasion, multiple Chinese invasions, a Mongol invasion (which succeeded)not exactly a stellar track record for Russian National Defense...especially when most armies like to discourage wars before they start.

They can defeat invaders, but the invaders keep coming. Switzerland beats Russia when it comes down to discouraging invaders from even trying, Great Britain managed to do more to defeat German invasion than the Russians did. Invading America filled the professional soldiers who realistically considered it (German High Command in the early 1900's) with terror. Russia? Russia just keeps sitting there and their enemies keep thinking they aren't so tough, no matter how many times they survive invaders.

DaysBefore

Dec 7, 2010
The PRC. They have a nearly bottomless well of available military reserves, desert to the north and mountains to the south-west. Only real problem is their navy is terrible. Like, really, really bad.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Russia due to size, weather, and military size.
Switzerland due to weather, geography, the fact that every citizen has a gun that they know how to use, the neutrality factor, and the fact that they have some pretty serious banks.
China would also be pretty shitty, due to size and amount of people.

*Answered your way*

Costliest invasion: Russia/Switzerland
Bloodiest invasion: Russia/China
Longest Invasion: Russia/Switzerland
Most difficult invasion: All three

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Archone said:
We [Americans] went up north, thinking to liberate Canada from British rule. And Canada explained rather pointedly that such efforts were appreciated but undesired. Canada's military reputation is amazingly minute in regards to its actual history of military accomplishments. They don't brag, boast, threaten, or posture. They simply abide by the ancient saying later corrupted and coopted by TF2's Sniper. "Be polite. Be friendly. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Its because we Canadians don't brag, boast, threaten, or posture :p
I could take the time to compare and contrast American military achievements compared to Canadian military achievements, but that would take about a week, make alot of people mad, and be a huge waste of time in my opinion.

I'll just say this:
The American anthem, is about how Canadians raised the White House, but left the flag up.
It makes me chuckle every time I hear it.