What is the meaning of Life?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Lukyo said:
When we say 'living' we are expresing the manner in which we live not the reason way we live.

But if you just want the reason were are alive, or exist, everything in the universe exists to glorify God and His Son in one way or another. Especially the 'evil' stuff. And if the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus isn't enough proof I don't know what else to tell you.
Did you even read what I typed? I didn't state the reason why we lived, I stated how we live. As in what laws we follow, our experiences and emotions. The manner in which everyone lives is different, but in one definitive word we are all living. Regardless of how we live, where we live or what we live for.

I fail to see how life and death are proof of anything other than mortality. The resurrection of Jesus is debatable, as there is not definitive proof he ever was resurrected. But like I said, this isn't a religious debate, I'm trying to get a straight answer out of you but you seem bent on mixing your words with religion.

Lukyo said:
I'm sorry I don't understand your point. Everyone is equal because the all Holy and righteous God is the equalizer over all sinning and god-hating people.
Okay, here's the point:

You say we are all equal in God's eyes but then you said that there should not be a more general explanation for the meaning of life. So allow me to restate it as concicely as possible.

We are all equal therefore we are all subject to the same explanation of the meaning of our lives. But if we don't follow the teachings of Christianity (or any other religion for that matter), we become exempt and have no place in the meaning of life? This then negates that everyone is equal as those that worship God are then held in higher favour than those who do not worship God.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
Woodsey said:
Lukyo said:
God created the universe for His glorification. Everything happened for his Glory. Humans were created to glorify and worship Him and His Son. It's not an arrogant contradiction if that is the reason the universe exists. And if He is IN FACT the one and only God who rules over everything He deserves to be worshiped and glorified.
Wow.

And yes, it is a contradiction. You didn't correct me, so I assume I'm right in saying that God is supposedly benevolent and transcends all our flaws?
Of course God is perfect so He has no flaws.

Woodsey said:
Now, with that in mind I want you to tell me what is more arrogant than creating a universe and a species JUST so that they can worship you. And then I want you to tell me how it is not contradictory that someone who in your mind is beyond human flaws can then do something as arrogant as that.
If there were other Gods for Yahweh to compete with like in Greek mythology it would be arrogant. But if He is the only God then he have every right to want and create a universe with people to worship Him.

To say it is arrogant is like saying it is also arrogant for a story author to do what ever he wants to his stroy. If Stan Lee wanted to create a comic where Spider-Man would worship him Stan Lee has the right to do so. True that Copy might not sell well (or maybe it could if you present it correctly) but the idea still applies with God and His Creation. Big difference is He doesn't need to sell his idea to anyone.

jehuty_zero69

Jun 11, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Besides 42, to live.

Yes, the meaning of life is to live.
I mean, if you died, there wouldn't be a point to life, would there?

Once again, my flawless logic kicks ass.
Just caught this thread but this is what I was gonna say. As a matter of fact this is what I always say when this question comes up.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
The problem with the concept of life is that we are all born to die, so what is the point? If we all die in the end, and aren't rooted on this planet permanently, then surely life is meaningless and can be scrapped at any moment, meaning it doesn't have any meaning?

Also, the meaning of life is to realise your true potential and do what you can to survive. Survival of the fittest and all that. Life could just be a competition to see who does the best with a set amount of time.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
iLikeHippos said:
Still pondering. Still pondering...

I guess it's all just a very well designed game. I can't make sense of this world otherwise.
It just won't make sense...
So you are saying have fun and fix the glitches?

gl1koz3 said:
Life has no meaning. It has purpose.
But what is the purpose of meaning? Or the meaning of purpose? What is that purpose?

Pyro Paul said:
Death.
with out Death life has no meaning.
I think you are pigeon-holing it too much but you are on the right track.

Lukyo said:
Ah, I see. If there was more than one god then the God of the Bible would be egotistical, ego-maniacal, or even narcissistic. Of course if He is the one and only God I don't know if those words work either.
No, that makes it worse and makes it extreme narcissism or egotism. We were created to worship him? What that says is we were created to tell one "person" he is awesome.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Work hard, play harder.

PLAY HARDER, DAMN YOU!
I'm playing as hard as I can!!!

Scientific:
To pass on your genes to the next generation, and ensure your offspring's survival...

What I think:
To learn and experience as much as you can before you die...
And have kids with your last name...

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
Lukyo said:
When we say 'living' we are expresing the manner in which we live not the reason way we live.

But if you just want the reason were are alive, or exist, everything in the universe exists to glorify God and His Son in one way or another. Especially the 'evil' stuff. And if the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus isn't enough proof I don't know what else to tell you.
Did you even read what I typed? I didn't state the reason why we lived, I stated how we live. As in what laws we follow, our experiences and emotions. The manner in which everyone lives is different, but in one definitive word we are all living. Regardless of how we live, where we live or what we live for.

I fail to see how life and death are proof of anything other than mortality. The resurrection of Jesus is debatable, as there is not definitive proof he ever was resurrected. But like I said, this isn't a religious debate, I'm trying to get a straight answer out of you but you seem bent on mixing your words with religion.
I for one I'm tired of this level of condensation wherever I post.

Azure-Supernova said:
Lukyo said:
I'm sorry I don't understand your point. Everyone is equal because the all Holy and righteous God is the equalizer over all sinning and god-hating people.
Okay, here's the point:

You say we are all equal in God's eyes but then you said that there should not be a more general explanation for the meaning of life. So allow me to restate it as concicely as possible.

We are all equal therefore we are all subject to the same explanation of the meaning of our lives. But if we don't follow the teachings of Christianity (or any other religion for that matter), we become exempt and have no place in the meaning of life? This then negates that everyone is equal as those that worship God are then held in higher favour than those who do not worship God.
But without God there is no reason to consider each other equal.

The reason we are equal is because God rules over us. Believers and non-believers alike.

Also God does not see humans identically. He knows everyone on the planet by name, from those He will raise up in His Son and those he will cased away.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
crudus said:
iLikeHippos said:
Still pondering. Still pondering...

I guess it's all just a very well designed game. I can't make sense of this world otherwise.
It just won't make sense...
So you are saying have fun and fix the glitches?

gl1koz3 said:
Life has no meaning. It has purpose.
But what is the purpose of meaning? Or the meaning of purpose? What is that purpose?

Pyro Paul said:
Death.
with out Death life has no meaning.
I think you are pigeon-holing it too much but you are on the right track.

Lukyo said:
Ah, I see. If there was more than one god then the God of the Bible would be egotistical, ego-maniacal, or even narcissistic. Of course if He is the one and only God I don't know if those words work either.
No, that makes it worse and makes it extreme narcissism or egotism. We were created to worship him? What that says is we were created to tell one "person" he is awesome.
. . . But God is awesome. No human person can compare to Him.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
didn't think we had a lot of philosophers here, guess I owe my brother a coke...

May 14, 2010
The meaning of life is to spread as much light where ever you go. Always leave everywhere just a little more lit than it was before.

Also to make sure that you never die. In the sense that you should never be forgotted.

-B

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Lukyo said:
I for one I'm tired of this level of condensation wherever I post.
I have a feeling you meant to say 'condescension'... unless you really are tired of the vapour in the air returning to its liquid form...

Lukyo said:
But without God there is no reason to consider each other equal.

The reason we are equal is because God rules over us. Believers and non-believers alike.

Also God does not see humans identically. He knows everyone on the planet by name, from those He will raise up in His Son and those he will cased away.
Do you understand the meaning of hypothetical? Are you reading and understanding the words I am typing on this page? Let me try once more.

I am an atheist. There are lots of people alive in this world. Some are rich, some are poor; some are strong, some are weak; some are capable, others are not. But regardless of who can do what, they are all human and are all entitled to a quality of life. In my eyes, it is not God who makes each of these people equal, it is the fact that we are all born and we shall all die. Fact. What happens between those two points, is irrelevant. Why? Because you have lived.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
DOUBLE POST

Lukyo said:
To say it is arrogant is like saying it is also arrogant for a story author to do what ever he wants to his stroy. If Stan Lee wanted to create a comic where Spider-Man would worship him Stan Lee has the right to do so. True that Copy might not sell well (or maybe it could if you present it correctly) but the idea still applies with God and His Creation. Big difference is He doesn't need to sell his idea to anyone.
Did you just compare Stan Lee to god and Spiderman to humanity? You are comparing fiction to a universe. It just doesn't work.

Creating a planet and populating it with a real, tangible species is not the same as creating a fictional superhero.