What is the meaning of Life?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Lukyo said:
Woodsey said:
Lukyo said:
God created the universe for His glorification. Everything happened for his Glory. Humans were created to glorify and worship Him and His Son. It's not an arrogant contradiction if that is the reason the universe exists. And if He is IN FACT the one and only God who rules over everything He deserves to be worshiped and glorified.
Wow.

And yes, it is a contradiction. You didn't correct me, so I assume I'm right in saying that God is supposedly benevolent and transcends all our flaws?
Of course God is perfect so He has no flaws.

Woodsey said:
Now, with that in mind I want you to tell me what is more arrogant than creating a universe and a species JUST so that they can worship you. And then I want you to tell me how it is not contradictory that someone who in your mind is beyond human flaws can then do something as arrogant as that.
If there were other Gods for Yahweh to compete with like in Greek mythology it would be arrogant. But if He is the only God then he have every right to want and create a universe with people to worship Him.

To say it is arrogant is like saying it is also arrogant for a story author to do what ever he wants to his stroy. If Stan Lee wanted to create a comic where Spider-Man would worship him Stan Lee has the right to do so. True that Copy might not sell well (or maybe it could if you present it correctly) but the idea still applies with God and His Creation. Big difference is He doesn't need to sell his idea to anyone.
No, it's not arrogant that someone creates something. That in and of itself is not the issue; I doubt Stan Lee started making comics for the sole purpose of being unquestionably adored by people. Added to that, your analogy is flawed. Lee's creation is not a sentient being; he didn't create Spiderman so that Spiderman would praise him.

If you really cannot see the contradiction in a "flawless being" creating sentient life for the sole purpose of praising him (AKA feeding his ego), then I hold serious concern for you.

Even Saren wasn't indoctrinated this much. Ba-dum-tsh.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Lukyo said:
. . . But God is awesome. No human person can compare to Him.
If you are that awesome you don't need a bunch of people to tell you so. You just know. Unless you is insecure or egoistical and thus not perfect.

Tenkage said:
didn't think we had a lot of philosophers here, guess I owe my brother a coke...
What do you do when you game? I do nothing but think about philosophy when I am stabbing a hooker for charging too much.

Wither

Nov 19, 2009
this is just an indirect reference to 42, isn't it?
OT: i think the meaning of life is for people to live their lives and take satisfaction and enjoyment from it.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
crudus said:
Lukyo said:
If you are that awesome you don't need a bunch of people to tell you so. You just know. Unless you is insecure or egoistical and thus not perfect.

Tenkage said:
didn't think we had a lot of philosophers here, guess I owe my brother a coke...
What do you do when you game? I do nothing but think about philosophy when I am stabbing a hooker for charging too much.
Really, I do that when I'm walking through the Wastelands listening to Three Dogs

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
crudus said:
Lukyo said:
I really can't understand why that's such a difficult concept for him/her to grasp.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
The meaning of life is to spend your biological life trying to figure out whether or not your completley spontaneous and extremely unlikely existance had meaning or purpose...

There is no meaning or explaination. Just try spend the rest of your precious life wisely...

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Tenkage said:
crudus said:
Lukyo said:

Tenkage said:
Really, I do that when I'm walking through the Wastelands listening to Three Dogs
A prime example in Fallout 3 is right there in Megaton. The Church of the Atom. Listen to the prophet preach and you'll see exactly what his take on the meaning of life is.

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
Lukyo said:
I for one I'm tired of this level of condensation wherever I post.
I have a feeling you meant to say 'condescension'... unless you really are tired of the vapour in the air returning to its liquid form...
Oops.

Azure-Supernova said:
Lukyo said:
But without God there is no reason to consider each other equal.

The reason we are equal is because God rules over us. Believers and non-believers alike.

Also God does not see humans identically. He knows everyone on the planet by name, from those He will raise up in His Son and those he will cased away.
Do you understand the meaning of hypothetical? Are you reading and understanding the words I am typing on this page? Let me try once more.

I am an atheist. There are lots of people alive in this world. Some are rich, some are poor; some are strong, some are weak; some are capable, others are not. But regardless of who can do what, they are all human and are all entitled to a quality of life. In my eyes, it is not God who makes each of these people equal, it is the fact that we are all born and we shall all die. Fact. What happens between those two points, is irrelevant. Why? Because you have lived.
That's just circular reasoning. What authority said that everyone is "entitled to a quality of life?" That only works if we know what life is about. But atheistically speaking we don't know what life is about, not objectively anyway. the quality of life at that point is just a matter of opinion that is almost impossible to share with someone else you both agree on the terms and conditions of what life is about. God IS the term of what life is all about.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
crudus said:
Lukyo said:
I really can't understand why that's such a difficult concept for him/her to grasp.
Because you can't argue with an (insert appropriate term)... They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...

Kindlebee92

May 15, 2008
To me the meaning of life is composed of two principles

-to survive and continue the species (obvious point)
-to accrue more resources and better living conditions for the next generation (not as obvious)

this is actually my hypothesis on the existence of greed; human greed actually stems from a biological urge to provide for the next gen., but because of logic and higher thinking it has been warped into providing for oneself.

just my two cents

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Tenkage said:
crudus said:
Lukyo said:

Tenkage said:
A prime example in Fallout 3 is right there in Megaton. The Church of the Atom. Listen to the prophet preach and you'll see exactly what his take on the meaning of life is.
Blowing crap up LOL

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
It's nothing very special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. Or something like that.

Now where is that fish?

Lukyo

Aug 14, 2009
crudus said:
Lukyo said:
He doesn't need people to exist. God doesn't need the universe to exist, He wanted it to exist.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Raven said:
Woodsey said:
crudus said:
Lukyo said:
Because you can't argue with an (insert appropriate term)... They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...
True. Trouble is I can't let these things go.

AcidAlyss

Potential Demigod
Dec 10, 2009
I believe that it's to learn from your experiences and regret nothing as long as you've learn from what you've done. Or passing along all that you've learned to the universe when you kick the bucket....or even better, we simply live to die, and everything in between is a hell of a ride.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Lukyo said:
That's just circular reasoning. What authority said that everyone is "entitled to a quality of life?" That only works if we know what life is about. But atheistically speaking we don't know what life is about, not objectively anyway. the quality of life at that point is just a matter of opinion that is almost impossible to share with someone else you both agree on the terms and conditions of what life is about. God IS the term of what life is all about.
Is religion itself not a logical fallacy? You are assuming (through you faith, which you are entitled to do so) that God is the beginning and the end. But as soon as someone applies that logic to something which does not fall into your beliefs then you shut it down with "I don't have to prove it, it's faith not science" or something to that tune.

If anyone here is culpable of circular reasoning here, it is you. You can always combat in the safe knowledge that you don't need to back anything up with reason or logic because it simply doesn't seem to exist to you. I could start a church tomorrow and have suckers roll up from miles around to witness the words of my Goddess, who came to me in a vision. Everything I said from then on I could back up with: "Because Her Holiness herself commanded it so".

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
The meaning of life is to give life meaning. <3

Cookie if anyone knows who said this.

Mar 9, 2010
I must finish the game of life and complete all side quests so that I get 100%

I'm playing hardcore so I get no saves and I have to play it all through in one sitting. I only have the one chance too so I have to do it all as soon as I can before it's too late.

This is what I live by. I suggest you do to.