What is the point of text messaging?

Nicarus

Feb 15, 2010
I suppose it's a matter of "how much needs to be said". If you just want to give a quick word, why waste a full-blown phone call? If you need to be able to respond quickly (like in a major conversation), then that calls for, well, a call.

Wyane380

Feb 27, 2009
People are getting more antisocial and prefer not to have to talk to another human being. No shit, my friends will ignore my calls but immediately text me back if I send a little something their way. My question is why do people take naked pictures with their phones and send them around?

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
The_Eskimo said:
Koganesaga said:
Greyfox105 said:
Well, it costs less to get just as much or more said, it is clearer (Unless the receiver is illiterate), and you spend less time with a phone stuck to the side of your head.
How does that work? Is there a plan where you only pay for text messaging? Because unless there is, it's an extra feature that costs more, and unless you type faster than you speak it's faster to call. Also in terms of clarity, not so much because with talking you can use tones which would get lost in text messages. That and sometimes the context of the conversation can be lost with texts.

The only benefit I see is you can text in situations in which you can't talk, in which case if you can't talk you probably have something more important things you should be doing (Like listening to your teacher instead of finding out about how your friend who skipped school just scored or some stupid shit).

My last point is this, if texting is such a grand idea, why is it that video games are moving towards VOICE chat vs TEXT chat for team based communication, especially on PC's which have keyboards?
games use voice chat b/c you dont have to let go of the controls to talk to someone where you do have to let go to type to them
Kinda like with texting! Don't have to move your hands away from whatever your doing (for those with dirty minds, I don't care what you do while on the phone, just never tell the other party).

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Because it's a really simple and easy means of communicating with someone. If I want to ask somebody a simple question, I can avoid the whole "hey, how's it going" chit-chat and just be straight about what I want to know. Plus, since I have a nifty keyboard on my phone, texting is really fast.

Plus, if I'm in a public place, such as the bus, I'd rather other people not hear my conversation with someone else - texting solves that issue.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Koganesaga said:
...what?
Haven't you ever heard of a top-up mobile phone?
As in, you only pay for when you make a call or send a text?
Duh, that's how it is cheaper.
And as for chat becoming more prominent: XBL, perhaps? Speak and get insulted. I'd rather send written messages than listen to a lobby full of idiots who can barely speak, and spend more time insulting than working together.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
there good for things you want to keep private say when your in a room with people you would rather not hear what you have to say, and sometimes just more convenient then a call if you dont have much to say

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
A) It costs less
B) You don't have to answer real time.
C) So you can do it during class (this comment was a humerous statement)

snide_cake

Nov 29, 2009
It's cheaper than ringing the mobile number.

For me it's 25c per text, but to call it's 29c/min plus a 17c flagfall. If I can get what I want said in a text or two then that's cheaper than calling, ranting and then hanging up before 30 seconds is up.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Two main reasons.

You can reply to texts at your leisure. A conversation via text can take minutes while the same conversation can take seconds over the phone. Its good if you are doing something else.

And most of the time it is a hell of allot cheaper.

Its also good to talk to that girl you like via text if you are shy. Its much less intimidating.

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
Haseo21 said:
I never got what the big deal about text messaging was. Its faster to call someone then send messages back and forth.
Can someone please elaborate.

Oh yea, and dont give me that "so you can talk to your friends during class" bullshit, you should be paying attention
Your guess is as good as mine, I never understood it either. Even if I wanted to use my cell phone I don't know where it is.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Because some people don't like to talk to people. Myself included.
Seriously, I hate initiating a conversation even with people I like.
Text messages are a blessing.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Koganesaga said:
...what?
Haven't you ever heard of a top-up mobile phone?
As in, you only pay for when you make a call or send a text?
Duh, that's how it is cheaper.
And as for chat becoming more prominent: XBL, perhaps? Speak and get insulted. I'd rather send written messages than listen to a lobby full of idiots who can barely speak, and spend more time insulting than working together.
While I stand by texting is bullshit, I suppose I'll concede to your second notion, as it is easier to ignore the mentally challenged gamers if they must type their retardedness instead of merely speaking it, thought that in itself furthers my point that calling is a smarter option to quickly and efficiently convey damn near anything.

P.S. No, I've never heard of a top-up mobile phone because 1. I'm a Verizon customer and 2. I don't give a damn about texting plans and/or technology.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
There are rare occasions when I want to talk to someone but can't actually talk out loud because everyone is asleep or I'm in a public place and I don't want to seem rude. But other than that I don't really get it. It actually seems like we're going backwards in technology.

crampy

Dec 3, 2009
Like everyone else is saying, it is a cheap way to get a short message across to someone quickly, and it has no background noise, so it is especially useful in noisy environments, e.g. parties, concerts, and if you want to say you're somewhere you aren't, and the background noise would give you away.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Because I don't want to be on the phone all day, because I don't have to answer right away, because I can have multiple conversations going at once.