What is the WORST GAME you have played on a next gen console?

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
Red Steel was pretty terrible. It even got the "honor" of being featured on 1UP.com's Broken Pixels show. Two Worlds was pretty awful too. The sad thing about Two Worlds is that it was a really abitious RPG that could have been great if it hadn't been ruined by so many bugs. Red Steel's main feature was so horribly flawed that the whole game was ruined by it. The graphics were so awful too.

Omega87

Dec 20, 2008
Supreme Commander. I'm sorry it looks like quite a fun game, but I made the mistake of buying it for my 360 and all it does is laaaaaaaag....horribly. I dont think I even made it through the first campaign mission before I turned it off in disgust.

I'm sure its probably a good game, just not for the consoles....

... or at least the 360.....

.... or at least MY 360 *Tears*....

TSED

Dec 16, 2007
GTA4, most definitely. To be fair, I knew I'd hate it, and I only bought it on a slur of impulse-enhancing sleep deprivation.

Don't go into malls when you haven't slept for 3 days, or buyer's remorse awaits!

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Halo. I got a copy from a friend to try. I'd been hyped up by all the rave reviews about how awesome a game it was. Dear, unmerciful Hades, talk about a drearily slow game. I couldn't believe a superhuman cybrorg killing machine could move so slowly. The only thing that was awesome about that game was the music which is epic.

BladesofReason

Jul 16, 2008
I would love o be snarky and say Halo 3 hur hur hur but if I was being completely honest I would have to probably say Mirror's Edge. It was funny seeing people love it and praise its looks after complaining about MGS4's color palette and the game play was fun for about ten minutes until it just became tedious to me.

I tend to know if a game will likely be fun (to me) or not before I try it. I am occasionally pleasantly surprised.

dead_beat_slacker

Dec 16, 2008
Oh god I know I'm gonna get crap for this by all the fanboys but Gears Of War. It's so boring and also Halo. It just wasn't fun for me. I also more of a TF2 person , anything valve really. I think it's mostly cause of the hype those games get plus the so called "hardcore" gamers take those games to serious, especially online.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Right, well then:
First off the biggest gripe is the characters. To the person who said this game took RPGs to the next level, I can tell you've never played Planescape: Torment or the Baldur's Gate series.
If you had, you'd know that the the older RPGs had characters with actual personalities. When you did something in game and they didn't agree with it, they'd actually speak up. When walking around they'd argue with each other (Viconia + Aerie springs immediately to mind). If you pissed them off enough they'd actually leave the party until you had fixed whatever it was that made them leave. In the latest crop of RPGs this interaction just didn't exist. In Mass Effect, there's the situation where you have to choose between saving the posessed colonists on the planet with the big mind controlling plant thing, or killing them. I started slaughtering them wholesale and no one said anything. No matter what action I took, they never really say anything.
When walking around they were stone silent, there was no real banter. If you wanted to get to know the characters you had to go up and talk to them in the ship. They turned character interaction into a god damn time sink. Every single moment that my friends would show me of this 'awesome dialogue and interaction' was on the ship. That is not a step forward, but one giant step back.
Combat was ok, but horribly hampered by the buggy cover system and completely glitched squad AI. "Hey, you go save the day, I'm gonna spend the fight shooting at this wall! Have fun!"
Graphics weren't anything special and yet caused noticeable framerate drops on the 360, which boggles my mind honestly. The planet roving was incredibly bland with the same mountainous terrain over and over with the only differences being the colour pallete used.
The story itself was just a hamfisted affair that tried desperately to be epic, yet offered no real serious or interesting plot points.

All in all, the raw shallowness of this game puts it more in the realm of the first final fantasy games than any sweeping, forward looking RPG. I challenge any of you to try and present points on how Mass Effect "advanced the genre."

Tanthalos

Mar 25, 2008
Oh all the bad games I have played, I believe the king of bad controls, design and purpose is Grand Theft Auto 4.

Which is funny cause this is a broad sweeping category that includes Uncharted, Vegas 2, and Assassin's Creed.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
superpandaman said:
Monkeyman8 said:
superpandaman said:
Monkeyman8 said:
superpandaman said:
Monkeyman8 said:
superpandaman said:
J-Man said:
you are a role model of awesomeness for pointing out the over hyped piece of crap that is halo.....LONG LIVE TF2
Except TF2 is just as bad. and I still hold that Halo(1) is not shit. But the worst current gen game I have played has to be TF2 cause the only current gen games I have played are portal COD4, Halo3 and TF2, but TF2 would be the worst anyway cause it's as hyped as halo but multilayer is twice as boring.
Tf2 isn't new gen it's came out forever ago on the orange box. Even if it's on a new gen console it doesn't count as new gen because it's old
I know it's hard logic to understand, but if a game came out on a current gen console, it's new gen :O!! I know I don't understand that logic either but you know it makes sense to the people that matter so.
by that logic super mario brothers is new gen because it came out on a new gen console. Plus the pc version is way better with tf2
there's a difference between a game made for a system and a game ported to a system.
Tf2 was ported to the 360 seeing as it came out on the xbox
...WHAT?!

Jul 9, 2008
xitel said:
Dark Sector. I don't normally play many crappy games, so it counts as the worst. But seriously. There is NO story, NO explanation of why you are doing anything, and NO TUTORIAL. Or guide in the manual. NOTHING.
I actually liked Dark Sector. Sure, not much story, but there isn't one in Left 4 Dead either. You get out of it what you put into it.
swampboy32904 said:
I thought Assassin's creed was good.
Me too. I never understood people calling it horrible. Not the best, but certainly not horrible.
TOGSolid said:
Right, well then:
First off the biggest gripe is the characters. To the person who said this game took RPGs to the next level, I can tell you've never played Planescape: Torment or the Baldur's Gate series.
If you had, you'd know that the the older RPGs had characters with actual personalities. When you did something in game and they didn't agree with it, they'd actually speak up. When walking around they'd argue with each other (Viconia + Aerie springs immediately to mind). If you pissed them off enough they'd actually leave the party until you had fixed whatever it was that made them leave. In the latest crop of RPGs this interaction just didn't exist. In Mass Effect, there's the situation where you have to choose between saving the posessed colonists on the planet with the big mind controlling plant thing, or killing them. I started slaughtering them wholesale and no one said anything. No matter what action I took, they never really say anything.
When walking around they were stone silent, there was no real banter. If you wanted to get to know the characters you had to go up and talk to them in the ship. They turned character interaction into a god damn time sink. Every single moment that my friends would show me of this 'awesome dialogue and interaction' was on the ship. That is not a step forward, but one giant step back.
Combat was ok, but horribly hampered by the buggy cover system and completely glitched squad AI. "Hey, you go save the day, I'm gonna spend the fight shooting at this wall! Have fun!"
Graphics weren't anything special and yet caused noticeable framerate drops on the 360, which boggles my mind honestly. The planet roving was incredibly bland with the same mountainous terrain over and over with the only differences being the colour pallete used.
The story itself was just a hamfisted affair that tried desperately to be epic, yet offered no real serious or interesting plot points.

All in all, the raw shallowness of this game puts it more in the realm of the first final fantasy games than any sweeping, forward looking RPG. I challenge any of you to try and present points on how Mass Effect "advanced the genre."
You know what? Fair enough on the characters, they rarely had personality out of the ship. But, while on the ship, they were truely compelling. And, think about it. If you were in an area filled with hostile aliens, whould you be willing to stop to have a chat with your CO? Anyway, the thing that advanced the genre was just how utterly realized the world was. They didn't just go "ok, here are the parts of the universe that are important for you," they told you damn near everything. I especially liked its portrayal of Human society, because I could actually see it becoming like that in the future (for example, the term "AI" being deemed racist and replaced by "Synthetic"). Mass Effect has to be my favorite game, I just finished my 8th playthrough, just putting that out there.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Still, a quip here or there while the action is unfolding would be nice. Like in the aformentioned scene with the colonists, it'd have made sense for my squad members to voice whether they agree or disagree with my actions and for that to influence their attitude towards me.

intergral

Dec 18, 2008
I guess this isn't a game in the traditional sense, but Wii fit is/was pretty lame. The minigames are retarded and depending on who is doing the hula hoop sequence, you could be scarred for life. Kudos for trying to get lazy people to work out, but what a rip off for what you have to pay.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Dark Sector, it's probably the worst game I've played because it looked like it had such potential, then suddenly they forgot to finish the game before releasing it because it stopped being fun an hour or so in.

AdjectiveAnimal

Dec 26, 2008
dead_beat_slacker said:
Oh god I know I'm gonna get crap for this by all the fanboys but Gears Of War. It's so boring and also Halo. It just wasn't fun for me. I also more of a TF2 person , anything valve really. I think it's mostly cause of the hype those games get plus the so called "hardcore" gamers take those games to serious, especially online.
You'll fit in well here.