What is the WORST, most dislikable personality trait a person can have?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dishonesty.

I tell you what. I have trouble staying mad at someone I believe to be acting in good faith, even if they say things I don't like, don't want to hear, or am outright angered by. Not to say I love those things, or that I completely let something like being an honest jerk slide, but it gets more leeway from me.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Was going to say Sociopathy but since mental dispositions are off the table, I'll have to also say willful ignorance. I avoid people like that at any cost.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Egotism. I fucking hate egotists.

Also I don't know what it is but stupidity seems to be a personality trait amplifier. Stupid assholes I just want to pummel the shit out of but stupid nice people are just so endearing.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Acting like a "princess" (when it comes to girls, guys have the same thing, but it's not called that for obvious reasons)

That is, seriously overestimating your own "standards".

And this wouldn't be an issue if it was simply being out of touch, but the results of such thinking often leads to behavior where the person expects others to hold him/her on a pedestal or to go out of their way to act extra special around them.

I don't know if this is the WORST, but it's definitely up there.

OP already ruled this out, but I'd put "antagonists of creation" higher up than this. (people who have no desire to create, stimulate or encourage others, but instead desire only to destroy things and harm others)

Bombchucker

Oct 2, 2012
Having a self centred personality really pisses me off. I just hate people who are so absorbed in their own thoughts and think that they are always right about everything and wont listen to other peoples opinions.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
In all honesty, I have to answer this thread with "none of them". I've never encountered a specific personal quirk/trait that I've found to be universally repellant. I've run into plenty of people that I despise, but by and large, I've met other people I've gotten along great who have similar aspects of their personality. I've seen it all in both good lights and bad. There's no one thing I can point at and say "that right there is universally bad".

The only thing I've ever encountered in people that always manages to frustrate and infuriate me is stupidity. Not ignorance (willful or otherwise), but honest to god inferior mental function. It isn't something that can be deduced on first meeting someone, but slowly comes to light as you get to know them, and it bothers me on a fundamental level. I simply can't understand how concepts and ideas I find alarmingly simple can take days for people to process, or how someone can make the same basic, simple mistake over and over and over without learning a thing from it, and it's beyond frustrating to deal with.

Maybe I'm just not charitable enough, or maybe it's just my ego talking, but having to deal with such people drives me up the freaking wall.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Okay confession time. I actually have something about myself that pisses me off. Always being right. well not ALWAYS. I am wrong pretty often..... except for when being right would be bad news for me or somebody close to me. The worst part is nobody takes me seriously when I try to warn them about something. Saw one of my sisters two "female" hamsters trying to mount the other? It was a guy but my sister didn't believe me, suddenly hamsters. She tried to throw them out in the freezing cold to let them die because they wouldn't stop because she didn't want to put them down herself and it was winter.
At the mall with my family and we're trying to leave, I know the fastest way to the exit. The call me stupid and say it's the wrong way and go a different way. I go the way I mentioned before and get there first and they get angry at me for showing them up by trying to say I just took a different way but ran.

"Let's go see Sherlock Holmes 2!" We haven't seen the first one and I wanted to. "Oh it doesn't spoil anything and you don't need to see the first to understand" (they say this despite not having actually seen the first one) I say "better safe than sorry lets rent the first one" them "NO I WANT TO SEE IT!!!" Well I'm not going with you. "We're buying you a ticket, come on!" No. "IT'S FREE! JUST TAKE IT!" No. They buy the ticket and I refuse to enter the theater. They assume I will cave and enter after five minutes. I don't, they come out and call me selfish. A few months later I see the first movie, turns out it leads directly into the second one.

So basically rather than me always being right about things I don't want to be right about I'm more annoyed by people that always assume you are wrong when you aren't. Not people who always think they're right but people who always assume that you specifically are wrong despite proving them otherwise several times.

And parents who think you are their personal property. "Come visit us for Christmas!" I came to visit you last year. I want to be with my family here this year. "Well I'm buying you a ticket" I'm staying in Minnesota. "But we're in Hawaii!" I don't care I saw it last year. "We bought you a ticket!" I'm not going. "We'll see you on Christmas!" I'm not coming. "WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU COME!!!?!?!? WE WERE WAITING AT THE AIRPORT!!!! THAT TICKET COST US $600!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE SO UNGRATEFUL!!! I EXPECT YOU TO PAY US BACK IN FULL!!" No. Fuck you.

Yeah I have a lot of resentment towards my dad.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Arrogance. It makes no sense from a personal perspective to an objective perspective to be so pathetically unaware of your flaws that you overestimate yourself. It?s a very different concept from mere confidence. I?ve found that arrogant people also tend to be quite uncaring of others? feelings, something else I can?t stand, because so much pain in the world has been born from a simple lack of empathy.

I would say narcissism, but I?m not sure if that?s arrogance to its extreme or actually a mental illness (a personality disorder or whatever). I also would?ve liked to have said homophobia or general intolerance of others? differences they can?t control, but that?s less a personality trait and more something of an ideological stance, although they?d probably tend to be quite unjustifiably hateful.

My second-most hated personality trait would be hypocrisy, due to the fact that we?re all guilty of it ourselves, but it can be all the more infuriating trying to debate with someone who?s so blatantly hypocritical that everyone can see it but himself.

As for passive-aggressiveness ?I don?t hate it, but it can make trying to have simple conversation with someone even harder than it already is (for me, at least), because you?re always worried about stepping on their toes. I mean, for example, I love my sister and she?s helped me out with numerous things in the past relating to my anxiety and depression issues, but there are other times when she can just be scathingly sarcastic for no apparent reason and the few times I?ve seen her go from passive-aggressive to active-aggressive is when I try to pull the same shit on her back.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Blind naivety.

Imagine someone who completely buys into everything they're told, who seemingly (or possibly literally) cannot conceive of any kind of problem or difficulty arriving from the completely amazing thing that they are doing, or have been told to, or will be involved and so on.

Imagine that person, imagine how completely insufferable that person is, imagine how completely insufferable that person is when everyone else has to deal with the (easily predicted) problems that arise and they still don't understand how anything could possibly have gone wrong, because it was totally meant to be awesome yo.

Ruuvan

Nublet
May 26, 2009
It's been said many times in this thread; rudeness/general lack of manners.

Manners;
I've worked in Silver Service/plated waiting, canteen kitchen, etc. and it always amazed me how people didn't say please or thank you. Bear in mind for some of these events it would be the "older" generation, so a lack of manners was even more astounding. I suppose they were of the thought "I've been nice for most of my life, surely I can stop for tonight?"

Rudeness;
I now work on second line support for a telecomms company; I appreciate you may have had a bad day before calling to say your phone lines are down or internet is not working, but opening the call with "your shitty services are not working and you need to fix it now or I'm done with your company" doesn't really put us in the best of moods to help with your problem. It's made even worse when their issue is down to a major service outage (and they know it's one because they confirmed it with Larry next door who's internet is also down) yet they still think threatening me is going to get their issue resolved any quicker.

Even when I have had things go wrong (i.e. my own internet or something not being delivered), whenever I call the people about it I'm always polite, calm and controlled. And you know what? I get more shit out of it than Mr Shouty ever will, because people like dealing with nice people.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Just general aggression and being a strawman.

The latter I can deal with better than the former, because at least someone can remain calm whilst representing their stance in a grossly inept manner.

I just dislike it when people are constantly angry, even with cause, because it makes them a very exhausting person to be around.

Oh, and for more specific pet peeves:
-Getting straight As, and constantly working, and then leaving an exam hall saying "OMG I FAILED!LOLOLOL".
I don't think I need to explain why that behaviour is incredibly obnoxious and rude.

-Never looking a person in the eyes when they are talking to you(disregarding genuine nervous predispositions/conditions)
It's just rude. It just seems disrespectful, at which point, I'd leave the conversation as it looks like that person is deliberately going out of their way to ignore me when I am talking to them(if I said something rude, fine, but I usually gauge that well, I mean, on no provocation: saying "Hi!", with them responding, and as you talk to them.)

-People who say "you weirdo/no life," etc.
Yes, because you are the social paragon on what is a social life and what isn't? Also, of course, playing Call of Duty is way more normal than someone who enjoys Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, or Persona 4.

I think that's about it for now.

To be honest, there are very few things that would cause me to actively hate a person: I usually gauge fairly quickly if I'm not wanted, if I am disliked and if I really want to know that person.

What I hate the most is when people feign threats because they find that "hilarious", or when they put people on the spot and ask them personal questions because they enjoy seeing a person get embarrassed. Also any sort of person who sees women as objects, fuck those guys, active homophobes, racists, people who spread rumours, and just general predatory behaviours.

Yeah, suffice to say, a lot of what I just said has been influenced by my experiences in secondary school.

Apr 5, 2008
I have a lot of trouble with understanding why arrogance/conceit/vanity are so high up, if not on top of many people's lists. I mean in the case of someone arrogant without cause, it's more understandable but still not the most offensive thing I can think of. We value humility so highly and are very quick to shoot down anyone who doesn't display it by having the audacity to say that they're great.

In the case of someone who has genuinely succeeded at something, such as an accomplished scientist, engineer, entrepreneur or athlete for example, or a man or woman who is exceptionally handsome/beautiful, is their arrogance not justified? Many men will say, for example, that they want a woman who is "beautiful but doesn't know it", one without vanity. Why? What is the issue with her being beautiful and knowing it? If a person is at the top of their field, claiming that they're the best isn't a lie but we still despise it if they do.

Perhaps it has something to do without jealousy, or our dislike of being considered "less" even if we are. Note some of the comments on Samantha Brick's Mail article about the Downsides of Looking Pretty [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124246/Samantha-Brick-downsides-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html]. Daring to describe oneself as beautiful gets hateful and insulting responses. Instead of discussing the issue written about, she's accused of arrogance, delusion, confusion and more for writing about her experiences.

I'd be fascinated to understand more about why people expect others to be humble and are so against arrogance/conceit/vanity, particularly in cases where such traits might have justification.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
The need to complain about everything. I don't know what to call it but my father has it in spades. He generally likes it quite and so he hates when planes fly overhead and he has to say "Fucking planes!" every time one does. Also if any one is doing yard work or some appliance goes off with a sound he can not place like if he is at my house and the dishwasher goes into rinse he mutes the TV to find the non-existent leak that he knows he head and knows is a leak because he is magic or something.

I also had a boss that was so intent to keep dressing rooms open that if someone had a shirt but went back to browsing would be mad the customer's clothes are still in it, they are still shopping you twat if I put the clothes back on the rack they will think someone stole them. I know because it happens in fact it happens so much they got fired over it.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
The quickest way to piss me off is when I hold a door open for you and you make no effort to acknowledge it. I don't need anything big, a "thank you" is great. A nod or a hand gesture is fine too. Hell I don't care if its just eye contact and a non-hostile grunt.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Arrogance is a rather unpleasant trait one can have, as is basic rudeness.

I'm also not aware if there is a name for it but I just love (might have used the wrong word, there) those people who will push you to the point of snapping, usually with bad behaviour or downright insulting you (as happened to me recently) and, when you call them out, they reply (with almost comical levels of theatrics):

"Oh, God! SORRRR-EEE! You can't say anything to you, you're SOOOOO sensitive..." etc.

Doesn't that kind of shit really want to give them a hug? In the face? With an iron? One that's been switched on "High" for the past hour?

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
syaoran728 said:
The quickest way to piss me off is when I hold a door open for you and you make no effort to acknowledge it. I don't need anything big, a "thank you" is great. A nod or a hand gesture is fine too. Hell I don't care if its just eye contact and a non-hostile grunt.
What's even worse is someone who's actively hostile to people who hold open doors. There's this one person who, every time I hold the door open for him always looks at me and makes the smuggest noise imaginable, as if to say 'Yes, servant, of course you have to hold the door open for me.' And yet I always hold the door open for him. I'm an idiot, aren't I?

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
ABLb0y said:
syaoran728 said:
What's even worse is someone who's actively hostile to people who hold open doors. There's this one person who, every time I hold the door open for him always looks at me and makes the smuggest noise imaginable, as if to say 'Yes, servant, of course you have to hold the door open for me.' And yet I always hold the door open for him. I'm an idiot, aren't I?
I've had something kinda similar happen to me. I used to live in dorms with locked gates. I'm coming back from the gym at night and I see some one approaching from behind me so I hang back for 5-10 seconds to let him through. He's on his cellphone so I don't expect a thank you or anything, but he doesn't even bother to nod or make eye contact. It is still one of the most infuriating memories I have.

Meg Galuardi

Jan 30, 2011
My biggest is a little complicated to describe, but it has elements of arrogance, selfishness, carelessness, and a lack of empathy. It's the general behavior indicating that no one else's thoughts, feelings or live matter, a sense of that person's beliefs are the only possible beliefs and UGH. DICK.

It's the attitude that fuels acts of racism, misogyny, homophobia, and any other intolerance. But it also manifests in a frustrating smug self righteousness where people think they don't have to give a shit about what others think of them.

This trait grows strong in the conservative, the neckbeard, and the internet commenter. It's not subtle, it defines who a person is and it is the most unforgivable and despicable trait a person can have.

Alexei F. Karamazov

Feb 22, 2014
I've found that the worst type of person is someone who can't recognize either your point of view or doesn't choose to listen to your point of view. You know, the type of person who plugs their ears the moment you start talking because you might not agree with them. They might be completely, undeniably wrong with something, but they won't listen to you because they either feel they don't have to or don't want to. The feeling of being ignored even though you have a much better point on something is extremely frustrating, and when the person in question is just so WRONG about something yet won't listen to you and they are influencing others with their opinion... UGH.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
Someone Depressing said:
They're egotistical. Honestly, there's nothing worse than an egotistical asshole who thinks they're king of the world.

Don't believe me?
is that the sonichu guy? whats the story there?
More of a vortex than a comprehensible story... I tried to figure out what all the fuss was about and discovered it to be... convoluted.

I'd say the 'cliff notes' on it are that this guy is legitimately troubled (autistic spectrum / learning disabilities [at least]) whose really bad fanfic webcomics and behavior made him the target of jerks and trolls. What started there just spiralled outwards as his increasingly flamboyant and bizarre public reactions and to being targeted online attracted even more negative attention, which became chronicled online in posts, videos, message boards and even weaving into the narrative fabric of the demented egomanicial author insert webcomic he makes.

He's a sorry, troubled person whose conduct attracts and amplifies negative attention.