What is the WORST, most dislikable personality trait a person can have?

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
NOTE: Apart from straight up illegal or amoral tendancies, or mental issues like being a psychopath.

Anyway, yeah, what personality trait, apart from the exceptions, goes the farthest towards making a person difficult to stand? Passive Aggressiveness? A Bad Temper? A Huge Ego? Something else?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't know if this counts but I can't stand people who are rude, particularly to people in the service industry.
People who don't know how to say 'please' or 'thank you' or don't hold doors for the people behind them, it's so off-putting.

I'm not sure if it's the absolute worst but no other ones spring to mind right now.
I'm sure people will post others and I'll think "damn, I should have said that".

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
NOTE: Apart from straight up illegal or amoral tendancies, or mental issues like being a psychopath.
Well, that rules out a lot of what I was going to write. Eh, rudeness is probably the worst general character trait I can think of, while ego is annoying it can also be entertaining, especially if the egotist hoists themselves by their own petard, as they often do. Rudeness or hostility just gets draining after a while :-/

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It's a tie between arrogance and smugness. I understand someone being a proud person. Being proud means being able to find strength from our own accomplishment. Arrogance, however, is trying to substitute said strength by belittling others. Smugness is downright regarding others as beneath you with little reason or none at all.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Very persistent rudeness and aggressive behaviour just for its own sake, or for some sort of entertainment; it makes it most difficult and unpleasant to be around someone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Does obnoxious count as a traint?
Well ok obnoxious means many thing but I used that word to apply to one of my cousins. He's like the most polar oppersite to me since I literally have nothing in common to talked to him about e.g. I try to talked to him about one of my games in the most simplist form and he couldn't relate to it and he hated Star Wars (it was on tv), of all things!

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
It's not the top of my own personal list of most unlikable people but it's pretty damn close. Now I can't really think of an exact name for it so I like to call them the "Oh I have/had that too," people. You know, you tell them about a problem or an issue/illness you've got and then they just totally hijack the conversation and make it all about them rather than listening to what's wrong or how they can help you. Basically your problems can never be worse than them despite the fact that you know they're completely fine.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Passive aggressive, fucking every single obnoxious **** who 's passive aggressive. I just can't stand it.
Oh FINE. If that's what you want, then I'm SORRY if I annoyed you by being who I really am. I'm not saying you should feel BAD about that, but I know any decent person would :mad:

Jokes aside, while I can take some passive-aggressive (and sometimes it's fun to play with or against it, even), it being constant and consistent is a major, major pet peeve of mine. Specially having lived with a certain someone who employed it against me liberally for a few years...

...which brings me to my main point of contention:

Controlling, manipulative attitude. When a person just wants to control my life, if only to feel like they have "the power" to screw someone over. I wish I could get a bloody restraining order for that, but nooooooo, has to be a physical threat....

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Aggression especially while drunk. I hate people who want to fight all the time and I hate people who act tough

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
an inability to realize they are a fucking idiot...

completely immobile on 'opinions' that they arbitrarily think everyone has, therefore they are right...

not shutting the fuck up when they have nothing valid to contribute...

being unable to read that everyone around them hates them and wish they'd shut up...

there's a line for me about people that lack empathy - feeling/reading/understanding what others around them feel, and while i get most people aren't on the crazy sherlock holmes-level of observation about peoples interest/emotions i apparently got stuck on default at birth, it downright bothers me to no end when someone BLATANTLY is so fucking empathically retarded they cannot tell an crowd of people want them dead, to shut up, or just walk out and never come back... suppose this falls under 'excessive ego', as in they and their thoughts about 'me, me, me i'm awesome' are so bulbous and think you can chip away at it with a jackhammer for a month and only scratch the surface, if that...

though i suppose what really gets to me about these types of people is how 'high and mighty' they think they are and yet never once think about anyone else, i doubt they even think about themselves with how much they talk/react, like there's some plug loose in their heads and stuff isn't connected right... i've met sociopaths- people clinically incapable of empathy, with better capabilities of reading others then these morons... and that's just sad ._.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Willful ignorance. It's ok if you don't know how something works, but you should never be boasting about that fact and viewing it as a form of prestige. These people really annoy me as they generally tend to ask what the point is in colliding particles at CERN or going to space. Even ignoring the fact that these endeavors are awesome, they provide a load of benefits to the general public.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Passive aggressive, fucking every single obnoxious **** who 's passive aggressive. I just can't stand it.

Bad temper and a huge ego are character flaws that can make a more fun character and at the very least enjoyable to sit through, someone who's passive aggressive just sucks the life out of everything.
Yeah, this. Whenever I talk to people with this problem, it feels like they're picking a fight with me without actually letting me fight back.

With bad tempered people, I can fight fire with fire; with egotistical people, I can pull them off their high horse. But passive-aggressive people leave no avenue of confrontation except for open escalation, which makes me feel like the bad guy.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
One of my pet peeves is stubborness. It really gets under my skin when somebody can't just admit when they've got something wrong and start to have an attitude. It's no shame in being wrong sometimes and it just makes you look like an asshole.

I really dislike over confidence and arrogance too. Must be hard buying hats with a head that big...
Colour Scientist said:
I don't know if this counts but I can't stand people who are rude, particularly to people in the service industry.
That pisses me off too. People in the industry already have difficult, stressful jobs to deal with, they don't need it being made worse by you being an absolute bellend. It doesn't cost anything to be polite.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
The Illusion of Asymmetric Insight. People who think they know what you're thinking. IE someone who has the answer for everything, and totally knows why you have that opinion. You're wrong but he knows why.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Self-centredness has to be up there. As in, when someone has to make every single thing about them, and believes that everything you do was done specifically to get a particular reaction out of them. My mother does this a lot, and it's caused no end of problems, though we're actually getting on ok for now.

Immaturity's another one. Not that I'm in any way saying everything should be serious and act "grown up" all the time - I'm fond of pulling silly pranks and indulging in "childish" hobbies, and I actually feel that maintaining a bit of childlikeness is really important. What I mean is when someone has no concept of the responsibility appropriate to their age/situation or when they're thoughtless and never think of how their actions might affect others (see "self-centredness" above), and when they're not prepared to contribute to anything and expect others to sort everything out for them. All this is especially infuriating when they think they're a functioning adult worthy of trust and respect despite all their behaviour proving otherwise... [small][small]and oh sweet Jesus I've turned into my parents :S[/small][/small]

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
Being a homophobe/sexist/racist. I work with a guy that's all three. Oh my god i want to stab him in the eye with a fork every time he opens his mouth.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
chinangel said:
Being a homophobe/sexist/racist. I work with a guy that's all three. Oh my god i want to stab him in the eye with a fork every time he opens his mouth.
What would be even funnier would be to get a gay black friend (which may take some time) and introduce them to him and watch him squirm.

Im not one to promote being a grass at work however if someone is racist/sexist/homophobic in the workplace you can report them. Im all for banter and my workplace we could often be considered bullies from an outsider but we all take it well. However if someone is sincerely being a racist/sexist/homophobic then you have every right to report them

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Eamar said:
...[small][small]and oh sweet Jesus I've turned into my parents :S[/small][/small]
Don't struggle against the tide! :D

OT: All that, plus the tendency to let all morals and decency completely melt away when in a group, for reasons I still don't understand - to impress people? If they're impressed by you [REDACTED] on the hood of somebody's car, do you reeeaaally want to impress them?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
They're egotistical. Honestly, there's nothing worse than an egotistical asshole who thinks they're king of the world.

Don't believe me?