What is truly wrong with gaming

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Hello fellow Escapists, first time poster, long time fan of the site, and I figure, "What better way to start ones forum history then with a post that is likely to nab some attetion?"

Well I shall say what i think is truly wrong with gaming, as i see it, if you think i am wrong, go ahead, think so, just read it is all I care, and maybe some posts.

As i see it, there is one major thing wrong with gaming, gamers.

Yes you read that right, gamers.

Gamers commonnly are entitled, spoil, crybaby, pigheaded, stubborn, egotistically, and just plain think there right even when there wrong.

Of course this isn't the only thing wrong, but it is really really big, and gaming will not progress unless we better oursevles.

Fans, haters, ragers, trollers, you get the point, are really not good for gaming, on the inside or outside, on the outside, it makes us look like childern you have grown up, but haven't matured. On the inside, well you see the result on any given gaming forum thoughout the day.

Now i could go on and on about what needs to be fixed, but i rather just sum it up like this: We need to learn how to be tolerant of others, gamers or otherwise, we also need to be tolerant of games themsevles.

You know what i talking about, fans defending or basing what they love or don't love.

I shall say it myself, i dislike cod because I find it bland and boring, but to people who love the game, go ahead play it, your not affecting me. See thats i am saying don't bash someone because they do not like a game you like and like you hate, unless you live with them, accept they choice in gameign and hopefully there accept yours. treat them like you would want to be treated.

Fans is more thorny, but i shall say this, fans, stop being entitled brats who think because a game has changed its worse. Like before i shall use an example. Mass effect 2 and Mass effect, i love both games, but i find Mass Effect 2 better in a few ways, the combat, charaters, and story. In mass effect 1 the combat started out a bit like mass effect 2, cover based shooting, but by mid game you would become a walking tank, 2 or 3 shoting most foes, whereas mass effects 2 combat, though less vaired, at less didn't become a cakewalk haflway though the game. Of the squad, i only loved tali and wrex, once i have gotten them I used no one else, i would have even left both ashly and kadien on virmire if I had the chance. Meanwhile in mass effect 2, i love kasumi, Mordin, grunt, tali, legion, and Samara, so the characters would more varied, and also even the poster ones, (thane and Miranda) were better then they Mass Effect 1 counterparts. The story is were most of you are going like "wtf your wrong mass effect 1 story is way better" That is partly correct, mass effect 2 suffers from being the middle of a 3 part series. However i find one part of the game rather effected in telling the true theat of the collectors and reapers, and what depths the reapers will sink to to finish their goals. When you learn of happened to last few Potheans, its rather shocking, i mean was it enough for your race to reduced to 5% of population, and then that last bit gets turned into little more then slaves, lsoing all their soul to be little more then a scouting force for the reapers, with no memory of their past lives? The only thing that could be worse is to have you race crushed, then revive as undead as far as I can think. Then seeing the inside of the collector is big enough to fit every human in the Milky way? and this is just what the reapers' call a scouting force? Mass effect 2 in its own way tells us about what reapers will do to get their goals done, and you gamers flat out don't see it? but other then that, is suffer " I am the middle part of a 3 part series, thats why".

So fans, when a games changes, don't fight, embrace it, or at least accept it.

And that's all I shall right, for now, lets see what happens yes?

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
When you are trying to argue a point successfully it might be an idea to read over your post to make sure it makes sense and doesn't have lots of technical errors it means people are more likely to pay attention.
OT:Unlike what seems to be the majority of users of this site I don't believe gaming is dying or has massive problems I think its stronger than its ever been and I'm loving the stuff that's coming out.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
I find it impossible to distinguish the behavior of the loudest, most annoying members of the gaming community from the behavior of the loudest, most annoying members of the Furry community.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scow2 said:
I find it impossible to distinguish the behavior of the loudest, most annoying members of the gaming community from the behavior of the loudest, most annoying members of the Furry community.
Easy. The one in the animal suits are furries. ;)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I don't quite agree with the tone, I don't think you left quite enough room for simple differing opinion on individual game quality, and I've never played either Mass Effect.

Other than that, I'd be lying if I said I didn't often agree (and express myself) with the general gist of your thoughts.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Scow2 said:
The ones that act like elitists and refuse to let anyone join there club are the gamers, the ones yelling at everyone to give them hugs are the furries but both are just as annoying as the other.

Drikanyx

Oct 13, 2011
Personally? I think this is a bit of an over-reaction. I'm from a pretty large group of gamers and the like... Most, if not all of them are cool, reserved, mature people. When you do encounter an immature, whiny gamer, it's likely that they're a 12 year old male FPS-tard. Sorry those of you who are 12, male and play FPS and are actually halfway decent, but that's from personal experience. It's one reason which put me off games like COD for a very long time.

I only recently got the balls to play it again today. and even then, it was nazi zombies.

As for your example.. This sounds more like personal experience since you only use Mass Effect as an example. You could use games like Minecraft or TF2 as an example... You get the old moan about new content. I do agree with that - we should embrace the updates/ new games (and be grateful for them).

But still. Bit of an over-reaction. The gaming industry and community is mostly fine. If anything, it's in a period of massive growth. Especially the industry. (I'm studying the programming and design of video games at University. So yeah.)

ChickenZombie

May 25, 2011
I think this is a big problem, but it isn't what's "truly wrong with gaming". That makes it sound like gaming is down in the toilet, when it really isn't.

Based on your grammar, I am going to take the safe route and assume english isn't your first language.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
What's this? English Teacher Senses Tingling....

Orks da best said:
As i see it, there is one major thing wrong with gaming, gamers.
As I see it, there is one major thing wrong with gaming: gamers.

Orks da best said:
Gamers commonnly are entitled, spoil, crybaby, pigheaded, stubborn, egotistically, and just plain think there right even when there wrong.
Gamers, typically, are entitled, spoiled, crybaby, pigheaded, stubborn, egotistical, and just plain think they're right even when they're wrong.

Orks da best said:
oursevles.
ourselves

Orks da best said:
Fans is more thorny, but i shall say this, fans, stop being entitled brats who think because a game has changed its worse.
Fans are thornier, but I shall say this: Fans, stop being entitled brats who think because a game has changed it's worse.

... and that's all I can stand of that.

OP, if you were in my English class, you'd get a D for this paper. If you're going to use complex sentence structure like this, make sure you know what you're doing. Also, please, know your they're, there, and theirs. It's embarrassing when people who are supposed to be smart make grammar mistakes like that.

On the plus side, you did remember your Oxford commas. ^^

Oct 30, 2010
Orks da best said:
Mass effect 2 in its own way tells us about what reapers will do to get their goals done, and you gamers flat out don't see it? but other then that, is suffer " I am the middle part of a 3 part series, thats why".

So fans, when a games changes, don't fight, embrace it, or at least accept it.

And that's all I shall right, for now, lets see what happens yes?
I disagree. All it told us was Sovereign was full of shit and the Reapers as villains are just another group of mustache twirling douchebags.

Instead of some unknowable, alien force, they hold fucking grudges. Instead of being a cosmic force, apparently they are created out of species slurry. Instead of commanding vast, unfathomable power, their big plan to exterminate life is to land on a planet and shoot lasers and make zombies.

They were turned into, fucking Dr. Evil or something.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Orks da best said:
Well I shall say what i think is truly wrong with gaming, as i see it, if you think i am wrong, go ahead, think so, just read it is all I care, and maybe some posts.
You have no idea how much will power it took just to read... that.

Pro tip for the future; proof reading.

On topic, it seems to me you're under the misconception that fans/gamers, whatever, are the problem. Untrue. People have always thought the way you describe. The problem emerging is that people have a much bigger platform from which to shout and argue their opinions these days.

So, don't blame people for having opinions. Everyone is entitled to complain, ***** and moan to their hearts content. If you want to blame something, blame places like this. These are the places that provide the soapbox from which people shout their dismay, which according to you, is so damaging to the industry.

DISCLAIMER: I <3 the Escapist really. I was just making a point ^^.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
My biggest beef with the "Gaming Community" is that it considers itself anything similar to a community at all, with a worse case of Drama Llamas than the Furry Fandom. (Note how often these forums flip out over anything that they feel could be used as an attack on gamers or gaming in general)

I like Yahtzee's opinion on Gaming:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8031-Extra-Punctuation-Dont-Use-the-Word-Gamer

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
The type of gamer you encounter is totally dependent on the game you play, what time you play and what kind of server you are playing on.

The people playing Quake Live at midnight are different than the ones playing it at 5:00 PM. I've only encountered one or two trolls in my two weeks there. You'll also find much better skilled players later at night. One time, though, I was on a server where there was a discussion going on about physics, the Halogen Collider (no idea how all of that is spelled) and how the micro is important to the macro and visa versa.

Games like Modern Warfare, Halo 3 and other mainstream games attract those stupid, racist kids you always hear people complaining about.

Garry's Mod is a great example of three variables I mentioned above. You're not going to find the same kind of people on a serious role-play server that you will find on a random deathmatch or prop-hunter.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Holy cow that OP is convoluted, sorry to say buddy. If you're going to write such a long question and explanation you should at least make it clearer and break it up a bit, with a bit, you know, grammar and spelling.

On topic: I find gamers will be of whatever nature they will be, in the end all that raging they do doesn't really affect anything, the developers will keep producing whatever sells and that's that. Sure, they listen to feedback, but anyone who looks at the trend of games being released will tell you that as long as you're paying for it, they are gonna keep producing it.

Since you asked what is truly wrong with gaming, well I'll go ahead and say some of the recent trends in what developers think they can make the consumers do. Having to be connected to a server to play a single player game, paying for content that is already on the disc (I miss the days of expansion packs), and the lack of LAN functionality are things that really get on my case. Sure, they are mostly to do with piracy, but also with an aggressive sale model that annoys me to no end, especially since you need to install spyware on your computer, and allow it to do whatever it wants with your data just to be able to play.

Worsened by the fact that nothing will be done about it, because these "features" are in games that the majority will buy anyway, see? (Like my first paragraph on the matter).

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Greed, but the ones to blame the most are the banks, I remember reading somewhere where in the bottomline banks were a big part of the problem (note that they are not the only problem, just a big one)

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Grammar of GTFO, mate.

That was a joke, by the way.

OT: erm... Yeah, gamers are entitled brats but I don't think they're the ones causing problems.