What is/was/might be your major and minor?

Xisin

New member
Sep 1, 2009
189
0
0
I majored in creative writing, with a minor in journalism(print). I knew what I was getting into from the start.
 

Chemical Alia

New member
Feb 1, 2011
1,658
0
0
I did a fine art major and german language minor for my bachelor's degree, and interactive technology for my master's (basically still art, but geared towards games).
 

triggrhappy94

New member
Apr 24, 2010
3,376
0
0
capper42 said:
I find American college really interesting. For the first year do you basically just study everything, and then pick what you like best to major in?

In the UK we just pick a subject when applying, and that's what we study. You can do the odd module of something else, but really it's pretty linear.

I'm studying history, for the record.
It's technically two years before you have to decide. In those two years you're suppose to complete your General Education--it's so there's at least some uniformity in college degrees between majors and for people to prove that they can perform at a college level. While it's possible to apply to the college with a designated major, most people apply Undecided and figure something out as they go. Undecided people still have to apply to their respective departments later one, but that's mostly a formality--few majors require any additional work. Psychology is the only major that is ever "Impacted," which means they're more selective.
There's also the rumor that if you don't get into your major when you apply to a school, you won't get into the school even if you otherwise would have.

Yeah, our system is kind of complicated.
 

capper42

New member
Nov 20, 2009
429
0
0
triggrhappy94 said:
It's technically two years before you have to decide. In those two years you're suppose to complete your General Education--it's so there's at least some uniformity in college degrees between majors and for people to prove that they can perform at a college level. While it's possible to apply to the college with a designated major, most people apply Undecided and figure something out as they go. Undecided people still have to apply to their respective departments later one, but that's mostly a formality--few majors require any additional work. Psychology is the only major that is ever "Impacted," which means they're more selective.
There's also the rumor that if you don't get into your major when you apply to a school, you won't get into the school even if you otherwise would have.

Yeah, our system is kind of complicated.
Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't seem that complicated now you've explained it, and actually I think it sounds like a pretty good system. A lot of people I know changed their subject after their first year, some of them even repeating the first year in their new subject, which I guess picking a major later would avoid. Am I right in thinking most college courses last 4 years in the US?
 

MysticSlayer

New member
Apr 14, 2013
2,405
0
0
Right now I'm signed up for the Environmental Science and Policy major with an emphasis on the science side. If my university ever gets around to updating my Student Records from the change of major I put in, I will be a Biology major focusing on Environmental Biology, specifically diversity and conservation. The thing is, once I got around to actually doing environmental classes I realized that ecology, evolution, conservation, and everything else related to those is what I preferred, not to mention that my current major would lead me to doing a geology focus for my Master's, which is hardly appealing to me. If I do pick a minor, it will probably be in something like microbiology, chemistry, or environmental science and policy.
 

triggrhappy94

New member
Apr 24, 2010
3,376
0
0
capper42 said:
Yeah. I don't think there's any major program that goes past four years. I know there are some caveats to that, though.
Some majors may expect certain classes to be completed before hand if you apply half way through the four years.
My Econ department, for example, has a four year plan for people who apply to the college as an Econ major that includes completing Intro to Micro and Macro, Intermediate Micro and Macro, and Econometrics by the end of your second year, then spending the other two years taking 400-range classes that work toward a study plan--your focus. (There's a little more to it than that, but I'm trying to keep it as clear as possible and Econ's not the best example). I'm not sure what that looks like for people who apply later.
In theory, you can focus entirely on your GE then your major or do both at the same time (what I'm doing) and graduate after four years either way.
With the budget what it is in my state (I'm not sure what it looks like in the rest of the country) it's considered almost impossible to finish in four years, because there aren't enough classes for everyone--at least not without taking classes over the summer.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I can also post a links to my schools requirements for GE and different majors if you want.
 

Terminate421

New member
Jul 21, 2010
5,773
0
0
Major: Animation

Minor: Concept art for games

Basically I want to do this for the rest of my life:


Can anyone tell me if that is the right path? I've had a professor and a couple seniors tell me so....
 

Terminate421

New member
Jul 21, 2010
5,773
0
0
Ashhearth said:
Just got through my first year as well majoring in Video Game Design and Development and holy crap is it hard. They actually take it pretty seriously here so downtime to actually play videogames is rather limited.

As for a minor I'm working for a one in psychology since it pairs well with my major. Yay 5 years to get my BS
Where do they have you? I got SCAD in Atlanta. (Been told development is a lot less programming much more art related)
 

mbarker

New member
Nov 12, 2008
146
0
0
I have a double major in Organic chemistry and Biological sciences, Degree in digital media production specialising in print design, currently getting my third major in accounting I'm focussing on taxation and cost accounting, I might get a fourth major in something else 10 years and a chunk of change just to decdide what kind of future I want for myself.
 

mlbslugger06

New member
Sep 27, 2009
35
0
0
Major in Neuroscience with a minor in Psychology though I meet the requirements for a Biology minor just from major related courses. Going to study the relationship between the brain and faith/belief. Why should morality exist outside of science?
 

RhombusHatesYou

New member
Mar 21, 2010
5,800
0
0
Arakasi said:
I'm currently double majoring in psychology and philosophy.
You might be surprised how much they complement each other.
*sniff* *sniff*

I smell a future HREC member.

That or something has died in my fridge again. :p


As for my good self I'm doing a Bachelor of Psychological Sciences, where there's only one major available (no points for guessing what it is, it's Psychology)... and doing Social Sciences as a second major or a minor, depending on how many units I can be arsed scraping together for it (or how many units I have to sacrifice to grab other subjects that make you look sexier when applying for the Honours program).
 

raize1225

New member
Feb 19, 2013
2
0
0
I'm currently majoring in Computer Science. I'm on my fourth year but I probably wont graduate with my bachelors until late next year or early the following year. The program here was really designed to be started from the freshman level but I transferred in as a junior after getting my AAOT, transfer degree, at a community college. I'm enjoying the programming and security aspects. As for careers, I'm still mostly undecided. Nanotechnology really interests me, as does the thought of being an ethical hacker, and, of course, game programming is on the table.
 

AD-Stu

New member
Oct 13, 2011
1,287
0
0
Got a masters in business with a major in marketing. Marketing major was largely because they changed the core subjects for the course while I was halfway through, and at that point marketing was about the only thing left where I could complete the core subjects and the electives for a major. If only I'd known at the time I didn't have to do accounting, economics AND finance, I would've dropped finance in a heartbeat :p
 

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
567
0
0
Just finished up my third year as a Chemistry major with a minor in Mathematics. At this point I've almost run out of undergraduate courses in Chemistry to take. Definitely plan to go off to graduate school for my PhD after I graduate next year.
 

Ashhearth

New member
May 26, 2009
278
0
0
Terminate421 said:
Ashhearth said:
Just got through my first year as well majoring in Video Game Design and Development and holy crap is it hard. They actually take it pretty seriously here so downtime to actually play videogames is rather limited.

As for a minor I'm working for a one in psychology since it pairs well with my major. Yay 5 years to get my BS
Where do they have you? I got SCAD in Atlanta. (Been told development is a lot less programming much more art related)
I'm at RIT in Rochester, New York. As for development the goal is to make us employable anywhere even out of the games industry so we have a base that's has just about everything. Programming is definitely big and the workload is intense to the point I think like 20+ people have dropped out of the original 150. (Don't quote me on the numbers)

This past quarter we all had to do group projects in C# XNA and actually make a game. Holy god is it an experience when you have to make something that's playable in 10 weeks.
 

capper42

New member
Nov 20, 2009
429
0
0
triggrhappy94 said:
capper42 said:
Yeah. I don't think there's any major program that goes past four years. I know there are some caveats to that, though.
Some majors may expect certain classes to be completed before hand if you apply half way through the four years.
My Econ department, for example, has a four year plan for people who apply to the college as an Econ major that includes completing Intro to Micro and Macro, Intermediate Micro and Macro, and Econometrics by the end of your second year, then spending the other two years taking 400-range classes that work toward a study plan--your focus. (There's a little more to it than that, but I'm trying to keep it as clear as possible and Econ's not the best example). I'm not sure what that looks like for people who apply later.
In theory, you can focus entirely on your GE then your major or do both at the same time (what I'm doing) and graduate after four years either way.
With the budget what it is in my state (I'm not sure what it looks like in the rest of the country) it's considered almost impossible to finish in four years, because there aren't enough classes for everyone--at least not without taking classes over the summer.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I can also post a links to my schools requirements for GE and different majors if you want.
It's alright, I think that's given me a pretty good indication of how it works. The majority of undergraduate courses in the UK are three years (not all, some subjects are longer). For example, I'm just coming to the end of my history degree after three years. It seems much simpler and more streamlined the way we do it over here, but also offers less freedom when choosing what to study.

Thanks for the detailed answers
 

Blue Musician

New member
Mar 23, 2010
3,344
0
0
I plan to apply for the Bachelor of Music Performance degree next year here in Melbourne. Hopefully I'll be able to become a performing pianist.
 

Kenami

New member
Nov 3, 2010
208
0
0
I graduated with a degree in Graphic Design (three years ago) and have worked in that field as well as photography and public relations. I've interned at PR firms and this has lead me to have some communications skills/experience to add to my resume.
 

Riobux

New member
Apr 15, 2009
1,955
0
0
I'm currently finishing off my degree in Sociology as a major and Psychology minor. Put simply, it is mentally exhausting and really takes a strong will power not to stare into the abyss and just weep.