What is with the asian\indian men obsession with white women?

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Fox12 said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Fox12 said:
My big question is what is Japans obsession with a woman who can cook? Seriously, every anime I've seen involves a woman cooking a boxed lunch for her crush. Persona 3 built an entire social link around learning how to cook (snore). Persona 4 used it as a recurring joke. Most countries dropped the whole "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach" bit in the 50's. It's not even about gender stereotypes, I just think it's weird.
I've got this second hand from a number of sources so take this with a heaping handful of salt, but...

I've heard that Japan still has a very much "Woman does the chores and housework, man makes the bread" culture. At the very least in regards to married couples. It's fine for a woman to have a career while she's single, but once she's married she's supposed to settle down and be a house wife. I've heard that this is a lot of the reason why there's an increasing number of single men and women in Japan, the women don't want to forgo their career and have to settle down.

This might be why, because when you get married to a woman they're going to be responsible for food, cleaning, etc... and you want to be sure they're good at it. A professor of mine lived in Japan for a number of years and a lot of people he knew there were dumbstruck when they saw him doing the dishes, asking him what he did to make his wife angry
I keep hearing this. I didn't realize Japan was so... I don't want to say backwards, but certainly conservative. It does make me view ghibli and madoka in a more positive light, though, since they were evidently trying to make a statement.
Completely off topic, but are you talking Madoka Magicka? If so, what parts of that show are you referring too? (I ask because I love critical analysis of media and the discussion of such, especially in regards to animation - Western, Japanese, or otherwise)

On Topic: I wouldn't know, seeing as how I know no Asian or Indian people. I will disagree with the notion, however, that one's sexual preferences make them bigoted or racist, in the same way that a gay man isn't sexist for preferring men. It's a backwards, toxic mentality to assume such and it spits in the face of the very concept that we do not choose what we get turned on by or fall in love with (a concept I'd imagine most of us agree with).

Sep 13, 2009
Fox12 said:
I keep hearing this. I didn't realize Japan was so... I don't want to say backwards, but certainly conservative. It does make me view ghibli and madoka in a more positive light, though, since they were evidently trying to make a statement.
If true, yeah, I've got to admit it's different than I'd have expected too. Although part of the reason I posted it was to hear if anyone else supported or denies what I heard. Hard to judge cultures you've never visited

Although, speaking about countries I _have_ visited:

I have noticed that Indian men have a thing for white women, at the very least in regards to travelers. I stayed in India with two girls and they were constantly getting asked out by almost every man around their age we met. The justification seems to be that white girls are loose and easy whereas Indian girls have to worry about the societal baggage that comes with casual flings. I've had these impressions corroborated with someone who lived in India for around 7 years, so I feel a little bit more confident about this observation.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
V da Mighty Taco said:
Completely off topic, but are you talking Madoka Magicka? If so, what parts of that show are you referring too? (I ask because I love critical analysis of media and the discussion of such, especially in regards to animation - Western, Japanese, or otherwise)
Well, there's an all female cast of strong characters, but it's a magical girl series, so I assume that's pretty typical (I haven't seen very many). What stands out to me is the fact that Madoka's mother is a successful business woman, despite being married, while her husband is a stay at home father. This is extremely unusual, even in the states, where most women work, but almost no men stay at home, and most husbands are the primary bread winners. Madoka's mother is very competitive, and has aspirations to move further up the corporate ladder, hoping to eventually supplant her boss after he retires. She sleeps in, gets drunk, and generally behaves in a way typically associated with male characters. Now, at first I just assumed that the writer was using a clever bit of role reversal to add some flavor to the story. I assumed the show was probably aimed at women, or at least at both genders equally, so having strong female role models seemed like a natural decision to appeal to the demographic your writing for. However, if women are expected to retire after marriage or birth, then having a married woman become a successful businesswoman while her husband stays at home sounds like a direct challenge to the status quo (which is a good thing!).

It's more then that, though. The husband isn't useless. By all accounts he's an excellent caretaker. However, he isn't the proactive member of the relationship. It's Madoka's mother that gives her advice, or shows concern, or who tries to stop her at the end of the story. The father is never present, not because he doesn't care, but because he presumably isn't as insightful as his wife. The show manages to build the mother into a strong, proactive character without turning the husband into a bumbling idiot (which most American sitcoms do). This isn't the focus of the story, of course, I don't think the writer was necessarily trying to make some grand feminist statement. I just find it interesting that he worked this subplot into the narrative when he really didn't have to.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
My girlfriend is Asian, I find Asian women to be beautiful, soft spoken, and kind. Most of all though, I find that if you treat an Asian woman with kindness and consideration, if you express a desire to help her in her troubles, she will be genuinely appreciative and grateful for it.

I find many white women beautiful (when not fat), extremely stuck up and entitled, huge turn off.

I find most black women to be very emotionally touchy, easy to anger, and conflict prone. Do not want to be racist (lolololol here comes some racism), but I do not find them attractive in general. There are obvious and beautiful exceptions of course, but I am speaking of the average.

I find Indian women to be beautiful, soft spoken, and rude, I think there is something about the culture of India turns me off of them, unless they were born here and are what you call it.... the word is slipping my mind.... indoctrinated into Canada's culture? I am going with indoctrinated.

Very little experience with Latino women this far north, so I have no comment about them, other then they are beautiful.

These are my perceptions from relationships I have had with my fellow humans, judge me all you want. I wont change my mind unless I have some conflicting experiences.

manic_depressive13 said:
Westaway said:
Attraction is principally biological. Fat isn't healthy and is therefore unattractive. I wasn't brainwashed to think that way. Women don't fibd short men attractive because it makes them look less capable of defending them.
Attraction is principally social and cultural. The problem with evolutionary psychology is I could take a modern day phenomenon and pull any unverifiable bullshit out of my ass to normalise it by pretending it's a genetic imperative.

For example the nuclear family is an incredibly recent invention. Yet evolutionary psychology, which may I remind you again is completely unscientific, assumes that the modern nuclear family existed for all eternity, with one woman as caregiver and one man as breadwinner. That's why hypotheses about what women find attractive always revolve around whether the man looks like he could protect and provide for her child.

But archeological and anthropological evidence suggests that early humans lived in tribes where, when a child was born, it was considered a child of the entire tribe. Hunters would hunt for the whole tribe, not just their own children. It was collective and communal, and hoarding food was one of the worst crimes you could commit.

On what basis then would women be biologically compelled to be attracted to the "provider and protector" male archetype if that wasn't even how we evolved?
Because breeding with "provider and protector male archetype" is more likely to pass on his providey protectey genes, and benefit the tribe as a whole, causing evolutionary pressure towards selecting those types of males. I do not see what this has to do with the nuclear family really, at most related by tangent. most species have some way they have learned to distinguish the strong males from the weak, some of said ways are super weird. Anyone up for watching fish have semen races?

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
What's with people and finding on average certain things attractive as compared to other groups of people who maybe have more eclectic tastes?!?

There could be a lot of things. Generally if you go by the theory of propagation being the key driver, Generally from an anthropological perspective, socioeconomic conditions can have certain physical indicators which subconsciously create an attraction. Westerners in are usually seen as being rich, western means white in these countries, therefor white becomes attractive as it is seen to have advantages in regards to propagation. For example in Japan, having light skin (not necessarily being of Caucasian decent) is considered very attractive and you can see that from looking at the plethora of bikini Photoshop that are almost always shot to make the girls seem as white as ghosts. In regards to propagation, tan skin generally signals that someone is working outside (i.e. Farming or manual labor) where as light skinned people can afford to stay inside for what ever reason. Why men in the current era are probably interested in Asian women because Asian women are on the whole pretty skinny in comparison to their western counterparts and considering obesity epidemics in most western countries, merging genes with someone who is naturally skinny will produce kids who are likely not to have this problem. In addition to that, in western countries in the recent century being tanned and skinny are both symbols of wealth because you have time to lay out and tan and you have the money to afford the increasingly expensive demands of staying thin despite junk food being much cheaper.

That was one very interesting explanation I heard once. Thought it was quite interesting.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Fox12 said:
My big question is what is Japans obsession with a woman who can cook? Seriously, every anime I've seen involves a woman cooking a boxed lunch for her crush. Persona 3 built an entire social link around learning how to cook (snore). Persona 4 used it as a recurring joke. Most countries dropped the whole "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach" bit in the 50's. It's not even about gender stereotypes, I just think it's weird.
I've got this second hand from a number of sources so take this with a heaping handful of salt, but...

I've heard that Japan still has a very much "Woman does the chores and housework, man makes the bread" culture. At the very least in regards to married couples. It's fine for a woman to have a career while she's single, but once she's married she's supposed to settle down and be a house wife. I've heard that this is a lot of the reason why there's an increasing number of single men and women in Japan, the women don't want to forgo their career and have to settle down.

This might be why, because when you get married to a woman they're going to be responsible for food, cleaning, etc... and you want to be sure they're good at it. A professor of mine lived in Japan for a number of years and a lot of people he knew there were dumbstruck when they saw him doing the dishes, asking him what he did to make his wife angry
Yeah I think the people tend to forget is that sometimes that tradtitionalism works both ways. If I remember it kind of works out that ladies don't want to go work and some the guys are opting out because the long hours and expecatations with that do not sound nic either.

I always took the "can't cook trope" as the opposite of the bumbling dad trope. Both Japanese and the United States since that is my base I don't know about others still run on traditional expectations I just think Japan is more explicit and the US more implicit. For example the father or man in relationship is meant to be a rock and damn near Zeus level enity of confidence and stability so what do we get bumbling husband or dad which has been a thing since the Honey Moones I guess.

I mean many times comedy comes from subverting cultural expectations and exaggerating them and this expectations work both ways and to remember that watching these shows or laughing at the trope does not mean the person condones it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
sageoftruth said:
Yeah. That is pretty ridiculous. The way I see it, if being a certain race makes someone look more attractive to you, that's fine.

The only way I could see it as potentially being racist is if the reasons for finding a certain race attractive are connected to the stereotypes they conjure up subconsciously, and I wouldn't condemn someone for that, since it's not something you really notice without plenty of introspection. I'd certainly support anything to dispel stuff like that, but it doesn't cross into the realm of offensively racist for me until they start talking about non-physical reasons for attraction based on race (Example: "I only date white girls because they've got class").
I agree that it is ridiculous and got into a lengthy debate about it last year. But apparently im just a subconscious racist so what do i know.

oh and the discussion was purely sexual attraction based on ethniticity looks. I really dont care what ethniticity somone is when talking to him (which is why i often get surprised after seeing that person in real life afterwards), but i dont find certain looks sexually attractive and one of ethniticities has those looks.

But what do i know, turns out nowadays im just subhuman.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Strazdas said:
sageoftruth said:
Yeah. That is pretty ridiculous. The way I see it, if being a certain race makes someone look more attractive to you, that's fine.

The only way I could see it as potentially being racist is if the reasons for finding a certain race attractive are connected to the stereotypes they conjure up subconsciously, and I wouldn't condemn someone for that, since it's not something you really notice without plenty of introspection. I'd certainly support anything to dispel stuff like that, but it doesn't cross into the realm of offensively racist for me until they start talking about non-physical reasons for attraction based on race (Example: "I only date white girls because they've got class").
I agree that it is ridiculous and got into a lengthy debate about it last year. But apparently im just a subconscious racist so what do i know.

oh and the discussion was purely sexual attraction based on ethniticity looks. I really dont care what ethniticity somone is when talking to him (which is why i often get surprised after seeing that person in real life afterwards), but i dont find certain looks sexually attractive and one of ethniticities has those looks.

But what do i know, turns out nowadays im just subhuman.
Nah, there's nothing subhuman about it. It's just human. I value people on what they do with their subconscious racism, not whether or not they have it. I'd be a massive hypocrite if I did denounce everyone who experienced racism subconsciously.