What is your favorite console controller of all time?

Sep 4, 2009
The Commodore 64. Not joking.

And I'm under no illusions about how ergonomics and design have come so far. (Or loading times...)

BUT it was my first console. It had a real keyboard and I could type without my mum complaining about me overusing the ink ribbon of her electric typewriter.

To everyone who thinks I'm daft: fine. But getting the C64 felt like seeing through a crack and seeing the video games industry and the internet for one brief moment. Getting it was the closest thing I've had to a religious experience in my life.

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
has to be the gamecube controller, but I do also enjoy the massive xbox controller (the original controller made for giant hands)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Pararaptor said:
I do like a nice, big wireless XBox controller. Seriously, Microsoft got the controller absolutely spot-on.
They sure did. It's comfortable and satisfying.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
coldshadow said:
the problem is you said NINTENDO dreamcast, when it is infact SEGA dreamcast.
Oh, I did too I'll correct that... Thanks. Had Nintendo on my mind from seeing it mentioned so many times in this thread.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
Gamecube contoller is the winner for me. It just so comfortable, the only draw back is that it is not as good with FPS games as my second choice of contoller - wireless 360, Comfy, light enough and the buttons are decent sizes.

VGCATZ

Nov 23, 2007
The 360 controller has that comfort factor to it while playing but the PS3 controller is reliable, long lived, light to hold and responsive even when all it's doing is flying across the room because you forgot an enemy was standing in the corner over there and just used an unseemly number of grenades to ragdoll you out of the room

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Easy

For 2d: SNES
For 3d: 360 controller

I still have my SNES controllers around, connected to the pc through usb dongles for use in everything from F-Zero, SOTN, and Blaster Master in emulation to Gish through a keymapper.

Honerable mention: N64 (for inventing the modern controller)

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. Hands down. Comfortable, sturdy, inverted thumbsticks, need I say more?

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
I can't believe anyone is saying gamecube, the D-pad and the C-Stick are sub-par, making it poor for 2d and fps alike. It is comfy to hold, but that's about all it's got going for it.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who actually has fond memories of the Mighty N64 Trident. The only 64 controller I have is a crappy third party thing that tried to make it more "modern." It's just not the same.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Horticulture said:
"The Duke"

Large-handed gamers everywhere mourn its passing. And you could use it to bludgeon your friends when they beat you in Soul Calibur 2.
Yea, I got a soft spot for the "bear" also. Still have four of these around for Halo.

Meathands

Mar 2, 2010
This thread's just forced my massive hands back on to the Atari Jaguar. Damn, but that was an idea born of last minute panic:

"What are we going to do? There's only 5 buttons and a D-pad!"

"Don't worry, I'll just glue a number pad to the bottom."

Honestly, it's my favourite simply because they still managed to do a pretty good job designing games to make use of the "worst video game controller ever made" (Craig Harris).

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Thoughts on the DualShock: This wing angle is too low, leaving your wrists in an awkward position. Also the sticks are too close, which causes my thumbs to bump together in fps games. Don't even get me started on the horrific submerged D-Pad. Darn those Nintendo patents :)

GameOverGoblin

Feb 3, 2010
The Xbox 360 controller. That's one of the main reasons i bought a 360 over ps3. I tried the ps3 controller and it felt so unnatural in my hands. But the 360 feels so smooth and the button layout is just perfect.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I have girlie hands, so the old school Xbox controller was way too big for me. But the newer ones, they are lovely. It's probably a tie for me, between the dual shock and the 360 standard. I can pick either up and use them comfortably. And I like them both for different reasons.

hebdomad

May 21, 2008
Pararaptor said:
I do like a nice, big wireless XBox controller. Seriously, Microsoft got the controller absolutely spot-on.
I'd have to say yes, the 360 pad is the best game pad overall.
However, it's D-pad sucks for fighters..

If I have to go older then the dual-shock is by far the best since it's lasted for quite a long time.

However I would love to see a cross between an original 'duke' xbox controller mixed with the current 360 with the D-pad from the PS2... that would be epic.