What is your favorite console controller of all time?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well, I like the ergonomics of the Xbox controller, but I prefer the joysticks on the PS3 Dual Shock, and really it's design isn't bad I have no discomfort with it.

However, if we're talking for any type of FPS game, then hands down this controller wins:

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
Gamecube by a mile for me. Only small annoyance is the Z button for me, since I sometimes miss it. Rest I just love the controller. Great design with the A button also, you really KNOW that's the main button (and the Yes-button due to its colour). Same for the B button, with its red colour. Great design overall.

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Cant remember what make it was but it was a PS1 controller with rapid fire buttons.

Brings back memories of the torture bit in MGS1,

"Press the O button repeatedly to regain your health, if you hold down the button I'll know"

But ya didnt see this shit coming eh Ocelot?

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
Pararaptor said:
I do like a nice, big wireless XBox controller. Seriously, Microsoft got the controller absolutely spot-on.
I agree...I still have to attempt to wean my sister off of the PS2 controller she complains she can't use X-box...it will all change once FF 13 comes out and I don't get to use my own blasted X-box anymore!

Zomni42

Jul 22, 2008
The_Healer said:
Playstation Dual Shock!

...And you are obviously just not skilled, the two joysticks never bothered me.
Woah dude. Harsh. He was just saying that the controller didn't feel comfortable not that he couldn't play with it.

While i prefer the offset analog of the 360 controller I switch back and forth between controllers without thinking about it. That being said... Really, my absolute favorite controller of all time, The N64 controller! No two people hold it the same way and you develop a new holding style for each game; it was hilarious! it could get awkward at times, but i played on it for hours without complaint.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
BlindMessiah94 said:
I will get shit for this but the WiiMote.
I think it feels really natural with the nunchuck attachment.

But I do conclude that it has not been used properly. I don't like all the crappy shaking actions and such.

Otherwise I'm gonna go with n64, since keyboard/mouse isn't an option.
While i wouldn't put the wiimote in my top 3 favorite controllers, i do like the thing. the ability to lay back and cross my arms, or put an arm over my head while gaming was fantastic. unfortunately, this only works for games with minimal motion controls =/

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Dual Shock by far. People complain about cramps, but I have large hands and haven't had any trouble with it, and been using it since the original Dual Shock controller was released.

Least favorite would be at tossup between the Gamecube or Wii controllers. Both are terrible, but the Wii has some solid functionality to it. I NEVER played a game with the Gamecube controller where I felt any other controller couldn't do better.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
Lim3 said:
Wireless gamecube controller.

People always go on about how they hate the NGC controller, but i liked it. Very ergonomic.
I loved the wired ones, but not the wavebirds. the gigantic battery pack always got in the way for me, and the lack of vibration was upsetting. if Nintendo were to release a new blue-tooth wavebird without the massive lump in the middle and vibration, it would undoubtedly be the best controller ever made.

Dr_Roxo24

Nov 9, 2009
This

http://www.gamefocus.ca/UserFiles/Image/Mad%20Catz/modern%20warfare%202/xb360mw2controller.jpg

Gah i dont know how to post pictures yet! O.O

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
The 360 controller. No contest.

I don't consider mouse/keyboard a "controller," but they would win otherwise.

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
When they first announced the Wii, I was pretty sceptic at the controller, the WiiRemote (or Wiimote), but having played with it myself, I must say it works pretty good. Even in FPS games, though the only FPS I played with the Wiimote was Metroid Prime 3. In that game it worked well.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
Before I got a 360, I would have defended the PS2 Dualshock to the death (the PS3 one is too light) but after spending so much time with my new inanimate lover, I would have to say that the 360 controller reigns supreme.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
N64 Trident.
Angerwing said:
I thought the N64 was brilliant. Just kidding, that was a god awful controller. Three handholds? What the hell?

I'm with the Xbox 360 here, it fits so well into your hands and the buttons are all easily accessible. It's perfect.
You and I are on the opposite ends of the spectrum here. The N64 controller is my favorite, and as for the handholds, you hold it differently for different games. The Z button is there for shooters, like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. You actually grip the controller like a gun. The whole notion of the analog stick was revolutionary, and the extra slot there (that could be used for all sorts of things, such as the innovation of vibration into games.) was something that should've been emulated more.

My least favorites include the Xbox's [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/11/28/] Duke [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/8/29/], the 360 controller, the Dualshock, SixAxis and anything that contains a huge honking button in the center that brings up a menu that takes control away from the game without pausing it. Seriously what were the controller developers thinking? Quicktime events that involve twiddling both analog sticks have grown massively in the past decade and they put a button that interferes with the tensest moments.

jubosu

Aug 9, 2009
N64 So in case i get stuck on a desert island i can sharpen it into a weapon.
I also liked the setup with the Z button actually being a trigger rather than just calling it a trigger.