What is your favorite console controller of all time?

Cinnonym

Mar 3, 2010
I'm with the majority--Playstation Dual Shock.

Xbox controller is too bulky, GC controller too small... The N64 controller is great, but awkward when you pick it up after hiatus.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
The original X-box controllers were incredibly durable .It didn`t matter how pissed off you were those things laughed off your pathetic attempts to throw them around loved bthem ever since the N-64 controller was pretty sweet and the dualshock 2 was very confortable to use , which is more than i can say for it`s cumbersome sucessor they`ve fixed the L2/R2 issues now,but the sixaxi sis still a royal pain

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
The_Healer said:
Playstation Dual Shock!

Seriously, I've been playing with one for 3 generations of console and not been annoyed with it yet.

And you are obviously just not skilled, the two joysticks never bothered me.
i suppose my problem with all of the PlayStation controllers is that there is no grip to them. the little overhang thing sits nicely on the middle fingers, but the actual controller wings just sort of rest on my ring and pinky fingers, leaving a small gap in between my hands and the controller. that isn't even mentioning the god aweful joystick position for movement.

Where the 360 and gamecube controllers are something i can really get my hands around.

Also, what the hell does using a controller have anything to do with skill? i mean seriously, did you listen to yourself when you wrote that? i formed this opinion years ago, even though i was still madly in love with my psx/2 at the time, and blazing through games in the process.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
My problem with the placement of the left analog stick on the playstation controllers doesn't have to do with the stick it's self, but more with the D-Pad.

This was never a problem on the psx, and wasn't that much of a problem with the ps2 except for a couple of cases, but for any game that requires you to use both the control stick and the d-pad for different things, it makes the game less fluid.

Two cases i'll point out, and they're popular ones: Mass effect and Kingdom hearts. Both of these games use the control stick for movement, but also use the d-pad for various features. In kingdom hearts, when i had to use an item, i would have to stop moving completely, usually taking hits in the process. this could have been avoided many times with a gamecube or 360 controller. with a center placed D-pad, i can reach over with my right thumb and go through the functional d-pad keys, while still remaining mobile. I did this in both mass effects, and it works ever so nicely. it would be hard to work your hand clear over to the other side of the controller to use the d-pad on a playstation controller.

If you need to move, aim, and use the d-pad at the same time, i'm pretty sure you're screwed in no matter what controller you're using.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
The Dualshock is what instantly comes to my mind when I think of the perfect controller. It's so comfy, familiar and it pioneered the perfect 4 button layout.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
It's always annoyed me that Xbox 360 controllers have shit D-pads. Other than that I'd say it's the perfect controller. Playstation ones have crappy thumbsticks but great D-pads, if only they got along and combined the two for the superpad of joy!. Then again in this day and age the thumbsticks are far more important though so I'd have to go with the 360 controller.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I would say the 360 controllers as the ergonomics are dead-on, but the d-pads are universally acknowledged to be crap. Instead, I'll say the Dualshock controller, though the PS2 one struck me as slightly small at first (let me say this about my hands: the original Xbox controller was comfortable for me) and the PS3 one has...weird L2/R2 buttons.

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Horticulture said:
"The Duke"

Large-handed gamers everywhere mourn its passing. And you could use it to bludgeon your friends when they beat you in Soul Calibur 2.
I too am a fan of the big "O"

Crimsonsniper

Nov 20, 2009
The Xbox 360 controller was the best one I ever had. It's like it was designed to be the best controller for shooters. Plus it was the first one I used which had amazing wireless capabilities. God I remember the wireless adaptation for the PS2..... you had to sit perfectly level and pointed towards the wireless receiver and it would work maybe half the time at most.

Individuo

Oct 19, 2008
I'd say it was a toss up between the Gamecube controller or the Playstaion's duel shock.
Probably leaning more towards the Gamecube. The X-Box controllers have always felt a bit too bulky.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Playstation controller, yeah, I said it.

I have got used to it and the 360 feels like it was designed for babies, it's really chunky.

The N64 is a close second, I have no idea why, I just like it.